"Officer down", the start of a zombie war campaign

Started by petercooman, 21 February 2016, 01:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

21 February 2016, 01:14:21 AM Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 01:16:47 AM by petercooman
" The last 48 hours had been crazy, the first reports of came in from the neigbouring towns, people attacking each other for no reason. Several dead already and many wounded. Some of our officers are already in hospital with bite wounds. One of my collegues claimed to have shot his assailer 7 times in the chest and he just kept coming. I don't know what's happening.I cannot believe that ....."

A sudden crackle made sergeant ramirez jump up in his seat.

OFFICER DOWN, NEED BACKUP ASAP, CORNER OF MAIN AND COMMERCE, I REPEAT, OFFICER DOWN!!! 

After that there was just the loud cracks of pistol shots and screams, after that silence.

Ramirez threw his diary in the glove box and fixed the light on the roof of his car.

" i'm on it! Need assistance on that!"

2 nearby cars responded on the radio and hurried to the scene.

On the way over they passed dozens of people all running away, terrified, like they had sean death themselves.A few hundred meters out they had to halt, the road being blocked by abandoned cars.

"What the hell is going on" Ramirez shouted, and he took his rifle and got out...

Hey guys, just had my first battle with USE ME  zombie down. Straigth forward scenario, police arrives to investigate a call for backup, but find only undead.

We have :

sergeant ramirez with rifle and side arm, 2 officers with side arms and two rookies with side arms. On the other side there are 20 zombies.

zombie objective: eat policemen
police objective: kill more than 50% of the zombie force.

All but the sergeant have a -1 modifier on shooting, to represent the fact that they do not know much about zombies yet, and don't know how to put their 'new' foe down effectively. They also have to roll a D6 before shooting zombies the first time, and can only do so if they roll 4,5 or 6. They don't know they are zombies at first. Green cubes are to mark the rookies, orange for winged status and red for struck status.

The squad arrives on scene:

They can't see the trouble around the corner yet! (on top you can see the police car that requested backup)

the squad move up the street and can see the car, blue and red  lights still flickering

When they pass an alley, suddenly they draw the attention of what seems like a group of people.

Suddenly their  collegues and another group of people appear in front of them (zombies got really lucky with their random movement)

The officers tell the crowd to back off, while slowly stepping back, but it appears they don't intend too. There is something weird in the way they walk...

Some officers open fire, others can't get themselves to fire on unarmed men and women. (Only 2 passed their roll to fire)

since the crowd keeps getting closer they have to fall back to the intersection. By now they all have passed their fire test

But it doesn't matter how much they fire, they just keep coming! Only one stays down

The squad gets split up

The rookies and the sergeant keep backing off while shooting, but can't seem to put these things down. What are they?

meanwhile the two officers are in trouble

and try to make way towards their fellow officers

Finally they take some down

but they keep coming

Soon they find themselves almost trapped

The sergeant and a rookie head to the parc while the z's catch the other rookie

They try to get out, but the rookie can't best his opponent in melee and can't follow, the other 2 officers are caught a bit further

They fight themselves out of the tight spot, but the rookie gets dragged down by superior numbers

and gets back up moments later to go get his pals

The others all head to the parc now to regroup and gun down another Z

They form a firing line and kill another

But they are again forced back

But this time they have an escape route, they pass through the alley where they originally saw that "weird group of people"

They shoot another, only one more to go!

They get overconfident, and instead of moving, opt to keep shooting, wich has no effect! The z's reach the thin line

But they get really lucky and beat the two z's in melee and shoot a third. They decide they've done their part and make their way to their vehicles

The sergeant only pauses to give a mercy shot to the fallen rookie.

So, really tense game with the police constantly threathened, and moving backwards over half of the board! Really though with those negative modifiers!

I hope they learned something and know where to shoot the undead next time they meet!

But first they will report their 'adventure' with the chief!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Thanks!

Bit low on text, but it's kinda late here ( 2.30)

bigjackmac

Holy cow, that was intense Peter.  Cool stuff man, thanks for posting, and I look forward to more.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Steve J

A very nice looking game I must sya. Not my kind of thing but enjoyed reading it nonetheless :)

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

petercooman

Thanks all!

Really happy with this one, and i think the next ones will be better. Next one will be a swat team intervention, so better trained troops  :D

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

petercooman

Thanks!

If anyone has any tips to make the best of these fotos, do tell! I'm having problems with the flash on the shiny street poster. Think i deleted twice as many pics as the ones i kept.

Really like the dropzone terrain though! Quick and easy, just had to fold the buildings and put a staple or 2 in to keep them put!

toxicpixie

Ah, that'd the Dropzone terrain? Looks good!

Nice batrep. I pity whoever is going to have to go back in for more Intel :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

ronan

Great !
( Although I don't like zombie games  ;) )

Quote from: petercooman on 21 February 2016, 10:40:44 AM
(...)If anyone has any tips to make the best of these fotos, do tell! I'm having problems with the flash on the shiny street poster. Think i deleted twice as many pics as the ones i kept.(...)
As usual..
Do you really have to let the flash on ? Try to set you camera in "tungsten" white balance. If you have a good light source, you may be able to get pics. But you'll have a very short focus range (1) Sometimes I take two pics, and merge them with gimp (I'm using linux) But your photos are fine !

(1) not sure about the english words...

petercooman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 21 February 2016, 10:46:47 AM
Ah, that'd the Dropzone terrain? Looks good!

Nice batrep. I pity whoever is going to have to go back in for more Intel :D

Yes the one from the starter box. The set you can buy separate is a little different, it has separate tiles for the game surface. The starter just comes with two halves of a terrain layout in poster form. (this is only one of the two halves so big enough for small skirmish games on its own and for larger battles with both posters combined )

ANd i think i'll send the helicopter for that intel, at least they can't ambush that  ;D

Quote from: ronan on 21 February 2016, 12:13:53 PM
Great !
( Although I don't like zombie games  ;) )

As usual..
Do you really have to let the flash on ? Try to set you camera in "tungsten" white balance. If you have a good light source, you may be able to get pics. But you'll have a very short focus range (1) Sometimes I take two pics, and merge them with gimp (I'm using linux) But your photos are fine !

(1) not sure about the english words...

Well this is what i get without the flash, pretty dark:

ronan

Quote from: petercooman on 21 February 2016, 12:31:45 PM
Well this is what i get without the flash, pretty dark:

You mean :

( I just changed the white balance, and adjust the levels : 5 secondes work.  )
I think you should add a light source ( indirect, to the ceiling if it's white .  not sure, the shadows are colored.. )

petercooman

Also, must say that i am pretty happy i went for the blood on the zombie bases.

I was afraid that i would have trouble telling who is who when i had to look over buildings top down into the streets. So when i was finishing up the bases for the zombies, at the last moment before putting the paints away i decided to try blood spatters on the bases , to easily distinguish them when in action.

Really works very well! Especially with both forces close togheter and in small spaces! Normally i wouldn't be bothered that much by it, but with both sides having models in uniform blue (and camo green once my army squads are finshed), i think it was neccesary to speed up play and try to keep mistakes to a minimum. I'll have enough troubes when i introduce slow, normal and 'sprinter' zombie types anyway! Just need to get more zombies and the dogs painted up first!