Started by Orcs, 18 February 2016, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: NTM on 20 February 2016, 07:46:25 PM
They were 40 or 50p when I first bought some

14p when I first bought them.  ;D

Cheers - Phil

Leman

Gosh! my first metal minis were Hinton Hunt ACW zouaves in kepi. I think they were 11d (4.5p),
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 18 February 2016, 11:25:14 AM
Sweet cigarettes ......Bet those don't exist anymore.

Not with the pink end, but they're still available: Candy Sticks these days IIRC  :-\

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Ithoriel

I remember chocolate cigarettes too, wrapped in edible paper.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Bought 'The Flashing Blade' on DVD 3 yrs ago.  :)  Sadly, after the music, the accents and acting meant  :'( 
Damn it! That theme from 'Robinson Crusoe'! Mindworm!
Vaguely remember the French jet fighter thing...remember 'Squadron' on Brit TV? (Cringe!)...or 'Who Dare's Wins' also cringe...but for the time  :)  !
Tudor Crisps. Winston Cigs at 50p a pack. JPS intenational in a shiny pack and McKewan's Scotch at 32p a 1/2.
Video juke boxes...endlessly reinforced  memories from the '80's!
Earlier...
Yammering at Ma to take me to 'Traditiion' in London to get early 1/300 tanks...or to a shop in Edinburgh for Minifigs naps. Weekly buys of Airfix kits in bags or the absolute Heaven of the floor to ceiling kits in the Whitley Bay model shop nr Ryles corner...some still in the garage!
GHQ 1/285 made in Rothbury factory? Went there but don't think the guy knew what we were on about so got Ma to take me back back to Blenheim St. Model Shop, Horrible child that I was...and still am...just she stopped buying!   :d 
Now...the pleasure at fining a small general store where the proprietor actually knows what he's got and what it does!   :)

(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 21 February 2016, 03:14:07 AM
<snip>
...or to a shop in Edinburgh for Minifigs naps.
<snip>

Mr Alexander's "Toytub" in Raeburn Place maybe? I shopped, and even worked there occasionally when he needed an extra pair of hands, in the 70s and early 80s. Wonder if we met!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Now...the pleasure at fining a small general store where the proprietor actually knows what he's got and what it does!   :)

You fine him for these admirable qualities?!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

NTM

Bought 'The Flashing Blade' on DVD 3 yrs ago.  :)  Sadly, after the music, the accents and acting meant  :'( 

One of the Saturday morning kids shows redubbed the flashing blade it was hilarious iirc.

Westmarcher

21 February 2016, 10:26:45 AM #113 Last Edit: 21 February 2016, 10:37:43 AM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Leman on 20 February 2016, 04:17:27 PM
My first ever kit was also Eagle's Graf Spee, and I remember thinking how much better it looked than Airfix kits which I had seen.

I agree. The Eagle kits were lovely models. 1/1200 scale apparently. Such a pity they're no longer available. Found this link for those who wish to wallow in some Eagle ship nostalgia:-

http://www.shipmodels.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/eagle.htm

I also see Eagle did HMS Cossack. I think this might have been my second ever ship model - but it was the larger scale(?)* Airfix version(!) The link indicates that Eagle production stopped in 1964 which explains why all of my subsequent ships (KMS Scharnhorst, HMS Hood, HMS Warspite and HMS Campbelltown) with the exception of USS North Carolina (Revell?), were Airfix ones. They used to drive my mum mad (dust collectors!).

* but the link shows a pic of an Eagle/Airfix 'hybrid' - confused.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 20 February 2016, 08:09:58 PM
14p when I first bought them.  ;D

Cheers - Phil

Wasn't that 14 groats ??
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

No.....Pebbles......(Or were they shells..It's too long ago to remember.)
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No 6ft stones with a hole in them.......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Not in Copper Or Triganic Pu*?

*The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough but since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Sounds like it belongs to the Ningy Nangy Noo.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner