Trimming the verge

Started by d_Guy, 18 February 2016, 02:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

After spending the last two months looking at the many and varied pictured posted on the Pendraken forums I have come to the now inescapable conclusion that my bases have to be dealt with. I thought that just slapping the figures on plain green bases would work just fine (it's easy to be green after all). I've dressed the bases in other scales but decided I didn't like my first attempts in 10mm. But now - nearly 700 bases later - I've changed my mind! So here is the first batch of do-overs:

I still have to cleanup the base edges and trim the verge. I sort of like the weeds and such extending beyond the edge of the bases but seeing them in a photo they look like great green spiders climbing off (or worse - on!) so I'll get out the weed-whacker.
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Steve J

Very nice and well worth the effort 8)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Definitely a good choice, lifts your figures to a whole other level! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Yep, that works very well.

I wouldn't bother trimming the edges, the rough edges work to blend the edges of the bases with the table. They look a bit odd in the photo due to the white background.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Have to agree that basing does raise the level of  figures.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Looking lovely!

=P~ =P~ =P~

What range are those figures from, please?

Not that I'm allowed to start a new project, until the ACW and Zombie stuff is completed ... But Culloden will always have a pull on my wargaming heart, and its always useful to know which figures would work for Highlanders.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Subedai

Lucky I looked, I had completely mis-interpreted the thread title.   :D :D

Bases look so much better with some foliage on them and they look fine to me.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Roy

Quote from: Subedai on 18 February 2016, 12:04:01 PM
Lucky I looked, I had completely mis-interpreted the thread title.   :D :D

:-[ I immediately thought about a woman's bikini line when I read the topic's title. I have a dirty mind, seemingly.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Leman

Yes Roy, I too thought this should really be on Top Totty.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Thanks for the comments - hope to have all my bases dressed by the end of the month!  I was aware of the title double entendre (I come from the school of writing National Enquirer like headlines)  but I was thinking more of Gandalf's line in the Fellowship of the Ring  :)
Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 18 February 2016, 09:42:51 AM

What range are those figures from, please?

It's quite a hodge-podge - somewhere on the order of 60/40 Pendraken and Minifig. Minifig ECW clansmen (Lochaber ax, two handed sword, musket, bow), Minifig ECW Scots command (sword and targe, piper), Pendraken Jacobites JS2 (Lochaber ax, musket), Pendraken Jacobites command JS4 (two types with sword and target), Pendraken dark age peasent levy AS5 (various weapons), and finally a few Pendraken WoR archers.

As was suggested I'll see how they look on table before continuing to trim.

Sleep with clean hands ...

Roy

Thank you for the info, d_guy  :)

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

jambo1

Lovely work, they look the part. :-bd