Discounts?

Started by Leon, 17 February 2016, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I'll be game to pay the full price for one or two ranges when they become available, if I'm still on salary by then.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 29 April 2016, 01:52:13 PM
I think the first forum member to reach 5,000,000 posts should receive discount on all purchases from Pendraken  :P

I totally agree.  At the current rate of about 116 a day  that will be approximately 2134. The order will have to be fulfilled by Dave's Great-Great grandchildren.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Unfortunately, that would be Leon!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I'm sure Leon already gets a good discount.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

DaveH

Quote from: Leon on 17 February 2016, 01:21:29 AM
So:
- Do you ever ask for discount on your gaming goodies?
- Is there a certain value of order that you expect a discount on?  (Over £50, over £100, etc)
- Should a discount be expected on larger orders?
- How much discount makes it worthwhile?

In order
1. No
2. Not really.
3. Not unless we are talking a really big order (£200+ sort of size)
4. Something like a 10% discount or free postage is good.

I've tended to find that offers are more likely to make me order earlier for things I was already keen to get rather than persuading me to buy things I didn't already have my eye on.

Some companies like Alternative Armies and TSS do their Salute offers even though they don't attend the show they offer a discount on orders over a certain size to catch the eye of people that might otherwise be focused entirely on Salute as their big wargames spend for the year.

LinLin

unfortunately everyone likes a discount :)

Tarty

Yep if a discount is offered that's great and accepted in the spirt it's given in but it has never ever been expected or been the difference between me purchasing something. 
"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel..."
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Tarty on 15 June 2016, 02:25:37 AM
Yep if a discount is offered that's great and accepted in the spirt it's given in but it has never ever been expected or been the difference between me purchasing something. 

I don't expect one, but I have certainly been persuaded by Newline's 4-for-3 end of year discounts in the past, and no doubt shall be again.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

SgtShepard

Just getting back into the hobby after decades out of it.  I wasn't expecting a discount.  I look for a fair price for what I'm getting or I pass it up.  I would rather not see a discount and have the manufacturer stay in business so I can continue purchasing.  If a company did offer a discount I think 10% would be about right. And for larger orders that would be up to the seller on whether they wanted to reward the larger purchases by individuals or not.

Obsidian23

Well a discount is nice.

For me personally, I don't mind, especially if what I am buying is a good product.  Pendraken, Foundry, Perry, victrix, I think are very good sculpts and there are a few others.  For these I am happy to pay because I can guarantee what I get is well worth the money.

Not that I ever turn down a discount that's offered.... ;)

Terry37

Leon, obviously an interesting topic ,and one that might have more impact on younger gamers who may not have the hobby funds available. As for me, I will certainly take advantage of any sale a vendor is offering if I need something, but beyond that I never ask for anything nor do I expect anything. Of course, I am old and retired and have been fortunate enough to settle down to a very enjoyable life of spending time enjoying my two hobbies (cowboy action shooting and wargaming/modeling).Oof course we've never been one to keep up with the Jones's either. So I guess to net it out, If I need something I order it or wait until I can manage the funds for it since I live on a budget.

I  will say that discounts for large orders seldom attract me because being a HOTT gamer I seldom need large amounts of anything.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

industrialtrousers

I only look for a discounted/sale price on products I feel are overpriced. Pendraken products don't fall into this category as they are possibly the cheapest quality minis out there. The army pack's are already discounted.

Events like Black Friday do tend to get folks very excited so I can understand the question. Personally I'm happy with free postage deals.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Hi as you seem to be a new member !

I ask as a joke on occasion. Last time I bought from Leon he gave me a couple of quid off, with out my asking, or expecting !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Cavillarius

I didn't ask for a discount, got offered about 8% extra value anyway. Much appreciated!

Paper

Discounts are a side effect of shipping, distribution, and other psychological factors!

Everyone wants "free shipping" so typically that means shipping is applied to the unit price. However buying more lowers the shipping cost per unit. Thus you can say "free shipping" and if you order x amount of things you as a shop can offer a discount!

Sometimes there is a discount because a sales channel skips a middle man and passes the saving onto you.

The garment industry wants you to feel like you are getting a quality good at a very cheap price so they have display racks that are high priced and clearance racks that are normal price. This way they get to say you saved so much money on it,

Do any of these hard sales tactics make sense for your business? Perhaps. How should I know.

Prhaps offer promotional vignettes showcasing your latest range of someone orders enough. It may bait customers into ording more of the range later