Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
04 December 2020, 02:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've released some handy WWII Drivers & Passengers!
311199 Posts in 18074 Topics by 2271 Members
Latest Member: Simon@TWZ
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  Matt finish blahs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt finish blahs  (Read 3351 times)
alexmac207
Cadet

« on: 16 February 2016, 06:25:55 PM »

I just finished painting my first unit of Prussian Dragoons. They looked great until I sprayed them with Matt Finish. All the colours look rather dull now. Is there a way to make the colours pop again? I just don't want them shiny... not dull
Techno
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2016, 07:11:32 PM »

Hmmmm...... Undecided

Satin varnish, over the Matt, perhaps ?

Would that work, gang ?

Cheers - Phil

Fenton
Lieutenant General

« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2016, 07:14:22 PM »

The Vallejo brush on matt varnish will give you an in between gloss and matt finish

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!
kev1964
Major

« Reply #3 on: 16 February 2016, 07:25:15 PM »

You could try satin, i have done this with humbrol and it turned out ok. I have never tried sprays as i hear of quite a few problems, i'm sure most of the time they work fine but i stick with the trusted brush method, at least that way you see a problem before to much damage occurs. I think temperature is a big factor with how sprays perform.

kev

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
mad lemmey
Marquis

« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2016, 07:45:26 PM »

Never spray below 5C, if lower than 10-15, and you spray outside, leave to dry outside/in garage rather than bringing in as that's when it 'clouds'!

Off to the Shed of Decency.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Leman
Field Marshal

« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2016, 07:51:32 PM »

Everyone here knows my attitude to spray varnish. Whatever the weather never, ever spray - use brush on acrylic varnish. Use satin or gloss followed by matt. For armour I use gloss as the final coat. The other thing no one ever seems to mention about spray varnish is that it yellows over time.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!
Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2016, 08:06:46 PM »

I have figures that were spray varnished over 30 years ago that aren't yellowing so must depend on the varnish used I guess.

Must be about 35 years now since I decided life was too short for brush on undercoat or varnish.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Subedai
Brigadier

« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2016, 08:36:34 PM »

I have figures that were spray varnished over 30 years ago that aren't yellowing so must depend on the varnish used I guess.

Must be about 35 years now since I decided life was too short for brush on undercoat or varnish.

I tried spray varnish at about the same time and decided that I couldn't be ar*sed with all that shaking and turning-upside-down-to-clear- nozzle-that-didn't-work-anyway malarkey so I have remained a staunch supporter of varnish by brush method, whatever type I use.

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!
Leman
Field Marshal

« Reply #8 on: 16 February 2016, 08:57:01 PM »

TBH life is too short after having spent hours painting a unit only to have it ruined by spray varnish and have to redo it. The fundamental problem is that some people have been lucky with spray varnish, but it does go wrong and it does yellow. These problems NEVER occur with hand applied acrylic varnish. But if you want to take the risk with spray go ahead. I did and have regretted it ever since.

Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2016, 09:19:45 PM »

I've had hand applied varnish go yellow. As said, depends on the varnish.

Each to their own.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
alexmac207
Cadet

« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

The Matt spray went on flawlessly. The problem isn't clouding or anything like that. The colours just seem less vibrant than before I used the varnish. I guess it's only one unit...
Leman
Field Marshal

« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2016, 08:48:32 AM »

That's because matt does not reflect light in the same way as gloss. I have tried to compensate for this by using satin varnish, but it may just be the particular make of varnish you used. I have a friend at the club who says that he has never had any problems with the Army Painter matt spray , and he is a very prolific painter.

toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #12 on: 17 February 2016, 09:12:49 AM »

I've used the AP matt spray loads as well, had a couple of bad experiences but they were reocverable by letting it dry then s light respray to change the refractive index and clear up the cloudy patches. I've had the same with other sprays as well, but it's a very wise idea to shake well and spray when not humid, at a decent distance, and don't over do it! Basically just be careful...

I've not had any yellowing either, on any brand I've used over the last @15-20 years? Was that an issue for very early sprays, or some specific but prolific brand that's now changed, maybe?

Some sprays (and some brush on) is *very* matt - if it's too matt I think you might try a very light spray of a slightly satin varnish as suggested above just top perk it up a little. The GW not-quite-matt is supposedly quite good, I've heard...

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
Sandinista
Brigadier

« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

and spray when not humid

Well that's me buggered up here in Kerikeri  Sad

Cheers
Ian

toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #14 on: 17 February 2016, 10:24:25 AM »

That might be awkward, yes! You need a nice open air conditioned area Wink

TBH though as long as it's not heaving down it's normally fine, and it dries quickly enough that unless it starts heaving down as you;re spraying it's generally been good...

Test on something unimportant first Wink

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: