How do I dye this throw thing, then? To make a gaming cloth. Help, please

Started by Roy, 13 February 2016, 11:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Inspired by this ... http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,13546.msg190034.html#msg190034

Quote from: Leman on 30 January 2016, 08:39:05 AM
It's the famous faux mink throw, from Amazon, with random spurts of acrylic green and sand paint. The strands on one side are very much shorter than teddy fur, which makes an ideal gaming surface.

I've managed to obtain one of those throws (don't know if its the Amazon one though - shouldn't make a difference I hope).

How do I go about dyeing it? Any, and all, advice will be greatly received. What paints? Preparation? Drying? etc. etc. Do you actually dye it? Or just paint? Obviously, I've not a clue  ~X(
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

petercooman

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

Well that's my throw. I bought two cans of acrylic spray paint - one was a sand colour made by Humbrol; the other was made by Liquitex and called Sap Green (quite a dark green). On a lovely sunny day I threw the throw (as you do) over the washing line in the back garden. I then applied random sprays of the two colours to get a more broken up appearance and allowed it to dry, which was quite quick, being acrylic. Et voila! an instant war-games mat. My throw has short strands on one side and longer strands on the other side. I only sprayed the short side, but as I have a small number of 28mm armies I may do the other side at some stage to provide a more in-scale  surface for them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Thank you both  :-bd

I'll copy and paste (and print out) what's been said, and give it all ago.

Cheers,
Roy
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}