Danger-Ross does AWI

Started by TSV90DangerRoss, 09 February 2016, 12:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Bought some dice and frames to do exactly the same to my SYW figures. The casualties look terrific.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

The cockade / feather colour for units is a good idea. Lots of other nice little touches e.g. The hat bands on some of the riflemen :)

Did you hand paint those flags, if so really impressive  8)

Definitely competition material

Good luck on the job front
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

TSV90DangerRoss

Thanks again for the comments people. I am intending to enter the painting competition, having seen the standard of other painters here I doubt I'm in with too much of a shout, but if you don't shoot you don't score! I am just deciding which unit I will enter, and then will get some better photos of said unit.

Quote from: Leman on 10 February 2016, 02:38:56 PM
Bought some dice and frames to do exactly the same to my SYW figures. The casualties look terrific.

cheers, glad you like the idea, I went for 5mm dice and frames, casualties are on a 20mmx20mm base, except the riflemen ones, they are on a round 20mm. The dice may require some file work to get into the frames easily, otherwise changing the number to illustrate more casualties will be a pain in the backside. I am intending to use two more of the rifleman casualties for the natives, but I will (try to) sculpt long hair on the figure first, although I am loathe to buy green stuff or another suitable material for such a small job, but i may have some lurking somewhere from the 40k days. I am using Black Powder rules, so at some point will have to work out disordered and shaken markers. I have a couple of ideas knocking about but have never got around to fully doing them.

Quote from: paulr on 10 February 2016, 07:10:16 PM
:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

The cockade / feather colour for units is a good idea. Lots of other nice little touches e.g. The hat bands on some of the riflemen :)

Did you hand paint those flags, if so really impressive  8)

Definitely competition material

Good luck on the job front

With the cockade I figured that whilst militia units would be fighting in civvies, the notion of each local unit trying to find at least one common feature doesn't seem too outlandish, again this may be total fantasy on my part, but the idea of local commanders getting hold of strips of one colour of ribbon etc, or telling troops to wear a certain colour in their hat doesn't seem wholly far fetched.

The British flags are from Maverick models, apart from the Kings Royal regt. of New York, I wasn't too keen on the flag maverick does for them, so found a generic infantry colour online and used that instead. flags for the rebels are taken from online, although the 2nd Pennsylvania Battalion one was done in Microsoft word. Having printed the flags out, I then paint over sections of the stripes and base colour in order to add shade/ highlight etc, but the intricate designs I steer clear of as I would most likely wreck them.

also what do people make of the test trees? I have got a methodology sorted, so would be able to make them on a larger scale, but I'm just wondering if they look ok?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The trees look great. Keep it up fella and good luck on the job hunt.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

When I shoot it tends to be more like the panda!

Bill Braham

Very fine work. I particularly like the way that you have 'imagineered' some of the flags for the rebels rather than opt for the boring old (and wrong) 'Betsy Ross' flag. Nice also to see the KRRNY depicted in green faced blue. Keep up the good work and good luck with job hunting!

paulr

TSV90DangerRoss

24 February 2016, 11:32:46 PM #23 Last Edit: 25 February 2016, 12:32:45 AM by TSV90DangerRoss
right then folks, another wee update here. last night I managed to convert some casualties for the Native units. had some green stuff lying around from years ago, I never did much sculpting, and working with such small amounts of material was a challenge, but with some fiddling and creative swearing I managed to create two passable native casualties.
So here are some pics of the completed unit with the casualty marker.

Ok now some detail shots of the casualties, first lad has just had the detail on the hunting shirt filed away a bit, and some hair extensions.

The second fig was a bit more work, sculpted on the loin cloth, and bulked out the trousers to make them look like leggings, as well as giving him booty kind of things. Also did the hair extensions again. Bit of file work on the chest to get rid of the button holes on the shirt. Also this photo is not the best, but this guy is not wearing a red beanie, the warpaint is red on the top half of the face and black on the bottom.

As always constructive criticism welcome.

Bill Braham

Looked at pictures first before I read that you had made conversions on the casualties with a bit of green stuff. Could not tell! Well done.

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd

Great conversions on the casualties

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Those Indian casualties are a real work of art. Will we see a casualty category in next year's competition?

paulr

At the rate the entries are going we need a category for AWI ;)