Danger-Ross does AWI

Started by TSV90DangerRoss, 09 February 2016, 12:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TSV90DangerRoss

09 February 2016, 12:21:53 AM Last Edit: 09 February 2016, 12:27:53 AM by TSV90DangerRoss
Right then folks,
Some photos below of my current project, apologies for not always having photos of finished units, these have been taken over the course of several months. I will hopefully get around to more finished shots soon, also the photos are taken with my phone so sorry about that.

A bit of context for the project. I started out with 40k and a bit of warhammer fantasy from about 6-16, but then got a bit bored of it and moved into historical stuff. I did a wee bit of 15mm, then drifted away from the hobby for a few years. In the last two years of Uni though I got back into it after painting some 6mm figs for a pal. During my masters it really took off (as much as budget and time would allow) with me completing  two SYW armies in 6mm. After that project it was a surprisingly sober conversation with an American friend that got me really thinking about AWI. I settled on 10mm due to it keeping the grand scale feel (read: low cost per unit), but also allowing me to better depict the rich variety of uniforms on offer as opposed to 6mm. The project started in July 2015 and I aim to have completed two game worthy armies by July this year, that may not sound like much, but this was on a student's budget ( figs or booze was often a dilemma) and the small matter of my MA dissertation which did involve some investing of time. Although I always told myself since my course was Security, Terrorism and Insurgency, this project was sort of educational.

Well enough of the background, here are some pics from the project so far, I make no claims to be the best painter, indeed this is my first 10mm project, so any constructive criticism is welcome.

British 4th Regt of foot, the second standard bearer is converted from a fig holding the spontoon, just replaced it with a length of paper clip and then put the final back on.

Kings Royal Regt. of New York command

Natives, the last photo shows my proof of concept trees that I have knocked up, the flash made them look a bit sketchy though. But hopefully will be able to make these on a larger scale soon to get some proper woods.

Now on to some Rebels

Riflemen and casualty fig. All units will eventually have a figure like this for casualties

Militia, tried to work a bit of colour into them, but deliberately avoided red. This may be total hogwash, but I imagined that militia troops would have avoided wearing the colour of the enemy for obvious reasons.

Assorted continental infantry, I have gone for a uniform look for the continentals, I know this is not really accurate, but I wanted a clearer definition between them and the militia, this is mainly due to the mates I will game with not being regular wargamers so not being trained to notice differences in uniforms so much.

Complete shots of the rebels so far, really only need to add a couple more militia battalions, some cavalry and a few mounted officers, then it will be 'phase one complete', i.e. in line with the year target. Still a lot of work left on the Brits though.

I will try and update this thread with a few more up to date photos as I go along, but for now I  hope you all enjoy!

Ithoriel

Very nice indeed.

Particularly liked the natives.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Shecky

Very fine work. I understand about the student budget. 25 years ago when I was in college I had the time to paint and play but lacked the funds. Now that I have the funds, I don't have time to play. Although I do have time to paint.

jambo1

Nice work there, they really look the part. :-bd

Steve J

Welcome on board and I really like these, especially the skirmish basing 8)

Techno

Damn fine work, that man !

And a warm welcome to the forum from me, as well, Ross (?)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb work Ross and hello and welcome to the forum!
That is quiet some intro!!!
Top work! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

09 February 2016, 08:08:17 AM #7 Last Edit: 09 February 2016, 08:10:27 AM by paulr
Welcome to the forum :-h

Impressive start with 10mm ;)

The variation of bags and blankets help break the Continentals up nicely

:-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

Oh wow, those are beautiful!  =P~ :-bd

I'm going to have to 'borrow' that skirmish basing idea  :)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

Welcome to the forum, and what an entrance; beautifully painted figures with superb basing. I like the way you have depicted skirmishers on circular bases and then grouped them using the Warbases sabots.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Lovely!

Great painting, great basing - hope you get time and funds to sort the rest :D

And then time to play ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leon

Hi Ross, welcome to the Forum and excellent work on those!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Subedai

Very nice and another vote for the basing.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

TSV90DangerRoss

Ok so some updated photos here.

Firstly thanks for all the positive comments! Glad that people liked the figures.

Starting with the Brits again, all fully based now and with casualty figures

More continentals, again fully based and with casualties.

Militia completed, each battalion of Militia will have an identifying cockade colour, just to help tie the figs together a bit more, so these guys have white.

Continental arty

Some details from the flags used by the continentals,

The middle and left flags in this photo are both made up, but bring a bit of variation.

Second unit of riflemen, these guys all have black feathers in their caps, first unit had white.

and lastly a detail of a casualty figure

Quote from: toxicpixie on 09 February 2016, 01:44:44 PM
Lovely!

Great painting, great basing - hope you get time and funds to sort the rest :D

And then time to play ;)

Funding is pretty tight at the moment, and I only have a few figs left to do before I will have run out. I have got a part time job, so come the start of next month the bank balance will make for better reading and I will hopefully be putting another order in (cavalry, militia and Brits). Painting time is not really an issue at the moment obviously, but I'd much rather have a full time job than be job hunting! On that note this project has actually been pretty beneficial by providing a sense of progress, as I'm sure everyone knows, job hunting is incredibly frustrating at times, so its nice to reach the end of the day and feel like you achieved something by getting some figs done that contribute towards hopefully getting my mates over and making a day of it in the summer,  (I'm thinking BBQ and battle.) In this sense the limited budget may have helped; I cant buy huge amounts of figs, so I have to focus on what I have and plough through them, I literally cant afford to be distracted by another period/scale. It also means I have set a fairly limited, yet (hopefully achievable) goal, so I actually feel like the project is doable.
Time to game shouldn't really be an issue when the project is complete as my pals enjoyed the first game of black powder we did and all live locally, so getting folk over on a Sunday shouldn't really be an issue, besides they can be bribed with beer easily.

Hope you all enjoy

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Excellent work! Get them in the painting competition! (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner