Aisian Skin Tones.

Started by YORSTONS, 09 September 2010, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YORSTONS

Ok so i have got my Japanese now, just wondering what skin tones do you use? In this small scale do you stick with normal flesh colour so it stands out or do you go with darker tones.

Any advise would be most welcome.

FierceKitty

Japanese are no darker than equivalent Caucasians on the whole. After time in the sun they darken much as we do, too. My wife, Chinese-Thai origin and living in Cape Town now, complains that the African sun is turning her much yellower than she was in Thailand, but she's actually paler than my Anglo-Saxon-Celtic-Dutch mongrel tones.
It might be a good idea to take a look at Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" in yerllowface makeup to get a good idea what to avoid. Just paint your samurai and ashigaru like any European 10mm.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

NTM

As 'Takeshi's Castle' and 'Ninja Warrior' are my 5yo daughters fave programmes at the moment I have to say Japanese skintones look no different to European IMHO.

YORSTONS

Looks like normal skin tones then.

Thanks guys.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

GW has a colour = Bronzed Flesh IIRC which will mix nicely with a standard Flesh colour to give a subtle differentiation.

Luddite

Quote from: nikharwood on 09 September 2010, 09:43:55 PM
GW has a colour = Bronzed Flesh IIRC which will mix nicely with a standard Flesh colour to give a subtle differentiation.

Do they still do bronzed flesh?  Couldn't get it last time i looked.

I find the GW Bubonic Brown, Iyanden Darksun or Tausept Ochre to be quite useful for 'eastern' skin.

However, this might be useful http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/310/page/2
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

YORSTONS

Once again thanks for all the advice guys. I really like that web site Luddite, especially the girl with the wooly hat. Obviously some sort of neo-soviet type experienced in the art of seduction.

GordonY

Do they still do bronzed flesh?

Yeah, last Starter Paint set I bought had it in there. Dunno if they still do in single pots tho.

Gordon

nikharwood

Stuff 'em with their £2.25 a pot nonsense anyway & get Vallejo Game Color #36 "Bronze Flesh" - it's cheaper, better & comes in an eye-dropper bottle  8)

GordonY

Or Coat de Arms, about £1.70 for 18ml as opposed to £2.25 for 12ml, hmm, Mr GW, please explain to me again why it was so good for me for you to decrease the amount of paint by a third and still keep the price the same.

Gordon