Sci-fi Trees

Started by O Dinas Powys, 06 February 2016, 12:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

As part of a greater project, and as an adjunct to the figures I'm painting for the competition, I've started work on some weird trees using Germy's pasta-method as a base.

So, yesterday evening, I got busy with the macaroni, hot-glue gun and MDF bases  :)

I need to trim and tidy-up the glue a bit then get out and prime them.

Cheers,

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

I think that could/will work really well. Meirion.  :)

Only query (ies) I'd have is/are......Does the 'dried pasta' absorb moisture from the atmosphere....and if it did, would the pasta get a bit mouldy ?
(Maybe you've 'sealed' them with a varnish ?)

But 'whatever'......Really like the idea, Matey.....Great job !

Cheers - Phil

Roy

Those look great.

I think Techno has a point though about maybe sealing the pasta before painting. I'd use PVA (white) glue to seal the surface, as I've used that to seal twigs to make gaming trees.

Apologies if you already know this, and I'm teaching you to such eggs  :-[  :)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Really clever idea! Nicely done. And when I think of all the other pasta shapes available.......
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Womble67

Cool idea

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mad lemmey on 06 February 2016, 02:46:52 PM
Top idea

Quote from: d_Guy on 06 February 2016, 02:49:33 PM
Really clever idea! Nicely done. And when I think of all the other pasta shapes available.......

Quote from: Womble67 on 06 February 2016, 11:33:27 PM
Cool idea

Take care

Andy

Cheers guys,

Can't claim the idea as my own though, see here for details:  http://www.germy.co.uk/pastaplants.html

O Dinas Powys

08 February 2016, 11:12:17 PM #7 Last Edit: 08 February 2016, 11:29:14 PM by O Dinas Powys
Quote from: Techno on 06 February 2016, 12:15:12 PM
I think that could/will work really well. Meirion.  :)

Only query (ies) I'd have is/are......Does the 'dried pasta' absorb moisture from the atmosphere....and if it did, would the pasta get a bit mouldy ?
(Maybe you've 'sealed' them with a varnish ?)

But 'whatever'......Really like the idea, Matey.....Great job !

Cheers - Phil

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 06 February 2016, 01:14:31 PM
Those look great.

I think Techno has a point though about maybe sealing the pasta before painting. I'd use PVA (white) glue to seal the surface, as I've used that to seal twigs to make gaming trees.

Apologies if you already know this, and I'm teaching you to such eggs  :-[  :)

Thanks Phil and Roy,

I honestly think dried pasta is pretty immune to atmospheric moisture, especially with acrylic paint over it.  I've previously made some of the "Campanelle" fungi from Germy's page, although I never finished them.  I checked them today and they're sound after a couple of years of not too careful storage!  

Cheers!

Meirion

PS If anyone knows where I can get some Campanelle pasta I'd love to hear.  Sainsbury's used to stock it, but alas no more  :'(
I've also had a look in the local Waitrose and online, but with no luck...

O Dinas Powys

08 February 2016, 11:16:27 PM #8 Last Edit: 08 February 2016, 11:23:01 PM by O Dinas Powys
Made some more progress  :D

Yesterday I primed them with Halfords grey:

Then today I painted them blue with craft acrylic paint:

Then blobbed/overbrushed them with some darker blue (although it doesn't show too well in the photo!):

O Dinas Powys

Then this evening I gave them a heavy dry-brush of a pale blue.  Before and after shot, with the dry-brushed ones on the left:

Also realised I'd forgotten to take any close shots previously  :-[

Next up, basing...  :-\

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

Fenton

We have a posh deli next to where I work. I'll see if they have any and at the very least get a brand name for you
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Those look really good, Meirion.  :)

Remind me of a type of coral, in a way......Ideal for Sci-Fi trees.
Great job.

Cheers - Phil

Subedai

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!