Scottish "park" walls

Started by pierre the shy, 04 February 2016, 09:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Sunray,
Thanks also.
I expressed my question poorly. Prior to 1745 in Scotland and the Ascendancy in Ireland, the image I have is of many low-walled fields all over the place. After - these were torn down (as well as most cottages) to open up grazing land. Because of the vast increase in sheep the stones were re-employed to build a multitude of pens for sheep shearing and such.  Would you think that many walled fields would work in the 17th c in either Scotland or Ireland?

I have bunches of questions about hedges but will save for another day :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Sunray

Yes, there would have been pens and shelters - wool was a major source of wealth in the 16th - 18th century.  The red cushions of the House of Lords are still stuffed with the stuff.  You need pens for shearing and some shelter for lambing.  In the highlands,  the summer grazing would be the higher pastures, and in the winters/spring  lambing period  you use the valleys/glens with some shelter to supplement feed.  I run 87 ewes on our farm.

The older native breeds of the 16th -18th century lambed a lot easier than the cross breeds of today where the demand  for fat lambs has increased the birth size/weight and the need for human intervention. 

My God we are now into livestock husbandry. Apologies to all dedicated wargamers.       

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 08 February 2016, 09:02:42 AM
Yes, there would have been pens and shelters - wool was a major source of wealth in the 16th - 18th century.  The red cushions of the House of Lords are still stuffed with the stuff.  You need pens for shearing and some shelter for lambing.  In the highlands,  the summer grazing would be the higher pastures, and in the winters/spring  lambing period  you use the valleys/glens with some shelter to supplement feed.  I run 87 ewes on our farm.

The older native breeds of the 16th -18th century lambed a lot easier than the cross breeds of today where the demand  for fat lambs has increased the birth size/weight and the need for human intervention. 

My God we are now into livestock husbandry. Apologies to all dedicated wargamers.       

On the other hand, I never appreciated the Bocage of Normandy until I visited it in 1984 and got a tactical briefing on how the Germans used it.  Its so much more than the conventional hedge at the bottom of your garden.

cameronian

The 'Park' was the piece of ground nearest the big house, often laid out more to please the eye than from any considerations of agriculture, there would be animals grazing in the park, probably sheep. The Park wall would be high enough - in a big house - to keep the stock in and prying eyes out so probably 6' anyway and always of stone. At Prestonpans the unfortunate Colonel Gardiner (Hanoverian) found himself fighting an engagement next to his own house, contemporary accounts relate how the park walls constituted a considerable impediment to movement. Gardiner was killed a few hundred yards from his own policy trying to rally his dragoons.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

d_Guy

Quote from: Sunray on 08 February 2016, 09:02:42 AM
:)
Pierre-the-shy started this thread with a lot of great questions. He made the point that he is far away. For many of us that don't have "boots on the ground" so to speak, all the detail we can get is useful (as you mentioned about the bocage). It's good to know why such structures existed, how they were used and when they were built.  I'm finding all the information by multiple posters interesting.  I think of myself as a dedicated wargamer (albeit an eccentric one!)  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: d_Guy link=topic=13591.msg191051#msg191051 date=1454941430
(albeit an eccentric one!)  :)
/quote]
He's fitting right in!  ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

This is a photo of Tranent Church wall, the side that faced the Hanoverian artillery fire and where the first casualties of the '45 occurred.

The mortally wounded Colonel Gardiner was brought here to the church after the battle.

The village of Tranent and the church (the wall in the photo is the side facing the battlefield) can be seen in this model:

The height of the wall of Bankton House can be seen here:

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Thanks for all the info...that shot of the model Prestonpans battlefield answers a lot of questions  :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sunray

An image of a well set up wargames table with the correct scenics and figures is worth 1,000 words in the thread.

Well done wee wars.  ;)

d_Guy

Quote from: Sunray on 08 February 2016, 07:33:00 PM
An image of a well set up wargames table with the correct scenics and figures is worth 1,000 words in the thread.

10 out of 10!

Thanks also WeeWars!
For me there is no such thing as too many picture.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno