Scottish "park" walls

Started by pierre the shy, 04 February 2016, 09:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

For wargaming purposes I would suggest two types of wall: the lowly dry-stone type designed to contain animals and the gentrified high stone wall designed to keep people out.

For example: the infamous wall at Culloden (which I have urinated against) would be the low type; the wall around Tranent Church at Prestonpans which withstood the first cannon shots of the '45 would be the high type.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

05 February 2016, 12:49:14 PM #16 Last Edit: 05 February 2016, 02:56:16 PM by Leon
Quote from: WeeWars on 05 February 2016, 12:38:17 PM

For example: the infamous wall at Culloden (which I have urinated against) would be the low type;

Tooooooo much information!

Is that why you're called WEE Wars?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

That would be Wee-weeWars.  :D
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

05 February 2016, 08:02:34 PM #18 Last Edit: 05 February 2016, 08:06:56 PM by Sunray
Quote from: SV52 on 05 February 2016, 09:58:58 AM
8)

I was in the Irish Department of University of Ulster today, and asked about Ma'nas - it has no Irish meaning- Irish Gaelic being the pure mother tongue.  This probably means it is lifted from P Celt (Ancient Briton), Norse,  Old English or Norman.

The Gaels do things like this.  They have just invented a word Te'armai' cosu'la  it translates "website", and is a literal translation of the English.   I note that Gaelic speakers on BBC Alba still use the English word.

If you are wanting to know more about Scottish parks/perks and fields beyond Wikipedia google search , I would recommend an article like George Whittington's Was there a Scottish Agricultural Revolution?  Royal Geographical Society, Vol 7, No 3 (1975), pp.204-206.

Forum goes quiet as all readers file off to find the nearest university library........

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I'll be in the classics section, catching up with 20 years of 'Britannia'!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

I have to say I am mighty impressed with the demand for authenticity that today's gamers demand in scenic.    Why back in the 1970/80, I can remember articles in Wargame magazines where the same plastic Hong Kong  "Bluebell"  farmhouse and barn graced every table from Waterloo to Kursk. 

SV52

Quote from: Sunray on 05 February 2016, 08:02:34 PM
I was in the Irish Department of University of Ulster today, and asked about Ma'nas - it has no Irish meaning- Irish Gaelic being the pure mother tongue.  This probably means it is lifted from P Celt (Ancient Briton), Norse,  Old English or Norman.

The Gaels do things like this.  They have just invented a word Te'armai' cosu'la  it translates "website", and is a literal translation of the English.   I note that Gaelic speakers on BBC Alba still use the English word.

If you are wanting to know more about Scottish parks/perks and fields beyond Wikipedia google search , I would recommend an article like George Whittington's Was there a Scottish Agricultural Revolution?  Royal Geographical Society, Vol 7, No 3 (1975), pp.204-206.

Forum goes quiet as all readers file off to find the nearest university library........

Better get on to these guys and tell them their wrong and giving misleading information:
http://www.cairnwater.co.uk/faclair/?txtSearch=m%C3%A0nas

Much obliged I now have sufficient insight.

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sunray

Quote from: SV52 on 06 February 2016, 11:58:04 AM
Better get on to these guys and tell them their wrong and giving misleading information:
http://www.cairnwater.co.uk/faclair/?txtSearch=m%C3%A0nas

Much obliged I now have sufficient insight.

No, they are not wrong.  The word is valid and correct  in Scots Gaelic, in the same way that "bungalow" is not in the pure Georgia English of Jane Austin ..."Mr Darcy is in the bungalow[sic]".  We lifted it from Indian Urdu in the days of Empire.  So it is valid in the Estuary English (so called because of the socio-cultural  dominance of the Thames estuary demographic ) we speak today. As are loads of American words and "text speak".

The Scots have lots of words lifted from Norse and English. 

Even pure  Irish Gaelic varies.  In the pure form the word for boy is Balach. In parts of Ireland where the Anglo-Norman settled we have the word garcon.   But this is Saturday. I have no students or tutorials  ...so please lets talk wargaming.   

Ithoriel

Quote from: Sunray on 06 February 2016, 11:40:27 AM
I have to say I am mighty impressed with the demand for authenticity that today's gamers demand in scenic.    Why back in the 1970/80, I can remember articles in Wargame magazines where the same plastic Hong Kong  "Bluebell"  farmhouse and barn graced every table from Waterloo to Kursk.     

In my youth, my games regularly saw Napoleon's army attack or defend the Oakham level crossing signal box.

I'm not so much impressed as bemused by the level of detail required by gamers these days in both figures and scenics. For me they are playing pieces, it's nice if they look nice but what matters is that players can tell what's what.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Erm ...... don't think we speak Estuary English in Merseyside, unless of course it's the Mersey estuary.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 February 2016, 01:21:34 PM
In my youth, my games regularly saw Napoleon's army attack or defend the Oakham level crossing signal box.

I love this beautiful hobby (obsession?) because we can do it to the detail that pleases us - can admire shear artistry when we see it - but in the end it is all about the games - and the stories we tell about them to ourselves - and to each other.
Sleep with clean hands ...

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 06 February 2016, 02:21:11 PM
Erm ...... don't think we speak Estuary English in Merseyside, unless of course it's the Mersey estuary.

It is heartening that even you'uns don't always understand each other! :D
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

Quote from: Leman on 06 February 2016, 02:21:11 PM

Its not so much the accent - its the words and phrases are changing . Even in places like Liverpool.  The pure Scouser dialect that I would have heard on the Netherfield Road 50 years ago have been decanted to places like Norris Green and diluted.  Dominant media changes things.  Down in the Dingle  amongst the older generation where you have a settled community you still hear authentic Scouser.  They are impervious to Estuary English - and see the folk from Bootle as from  another planet.

paulr

Quote from: Sunray on 06 February 2016, 11:40:27 AM

Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 February 2016, 01:21:34 PM

I'm not so much impressed as bemused by the level of detail required by gamers these days in both figures and scenics. For me they are playing pieces, it's nice if they look nice but what matters is that players can tell what's what.

Back in the 1970/80 our choice was so much more limited, today we have a vast array of choice :)

Getting the details right helps transport us in time and space, or as d_Guy says helps to tell the story

For the majority of us right is a relative term so we can find where on the spectrum suits our group of players :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Spectrum! I had an Amstrad!  :'(