Started by Roy, 01 February 2016, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subedai

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

skywalker

Great paint job on them all Roy.
Mind you the Belt Fed Girl definitely looks like she is packing a pair of fully loaded 45's  ;D ;D ;D

FierceKitty

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 02 February 2016, 11:39:44 AM
In the case of the Belt Fed Girls range, I don't think they were ever meant as wargaming figures. I may be wrong though.

My view on nudity on (female) miniatures goes something like this.
Naked, or semi-naked Ancients (where there was historical president) you can't really argue with. [Fantasy, Amazon -types is open for debate]
Figures depicting civilians flashing the flesh, due to their profession (ie. prostitution), again, fair enough. But I strongly doubt they would be fully-nude.
Harem concubines, or those held as Slaves (the Slave Trade/Viking raid etc.), again, historical precedent allows it. But you've got to keep it tasteful, and be conscious of public feeling.  
Anything else is just gratuitous and unnecessary from the point of collecting for gaming purposes.

I do own several more of the Belt Fed figures, but I can't see me using them to game with. I'll probably paint them up and sell them on. I've done that in the past, painted topless or x-rated stuff and sold them, used the money to finance something else. They're okay for sitting on a shelf in a man-cave or the like.

Wasn't aware that the office of president EXISTED in the ancient world, though any Latin-speaker could guess more or less what the word meant.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Roy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2016, 02:35:48 PM
Wasn't aware that the office of president EXISTED in the ancient world, though any Latin-speaker could guess more or less what the word meant.

Auto-correct on my error for precedent.

Here's what Stuart has posted on Facebook:

QuoteWe are very proud of the Belt Fed Girls. They are a not meant to be taken seriously and hopefully they raise a smile or two as they appear in various wargames scenarios around the world. However.... we are aware that some people are downright upset by the female nudity, and others feel it more appropriate to have the girls fully clothed for their games. We don't judge. However Roy Williamson has just sent us his depiction of our Calamity Jane. Without any conversion work he has skillfully painted over her bare 'top' and therefore provided her with the necessary dignity for his game. How easy is that? Nudity problem solved with the stroke of a brush! Well done Roy!

We're all talking (over there on FB) about a range of naked men being sculpted next [seriously!]  ;D
My contribution to the suggestions is Roman Gladiators  :O)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2016, 02:35:48 PM

President. Precedent. Pedant. :P
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 02 February 2016, 02:51:48 PM

... a range of naked men being sculpted next [seriously!]  ;D

IIRC when I was looking at doing the Trojan War in 28mm a couple of years ago at least one manufacture had some of their warriors fully nude! I have several of my 10mm Highland Jacobites in just their shirt tails (but enough coverage for modesty :)) Apparently they would throw off their plaids for more freedom of movement and to preserve their best article of clothing.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

Mycenaean light infantry seem to have fought naked and some of the formed foot seem to have had only shield and boar's tusk helmet. If you couldn't afford the protection of full Dendra style plate I guess the airiness of helmet and shield at least helped protect you from heatstroke :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

QuoteWe are very proud of the Belt Fed Girls. They are a not meant to be taken seriously and hopefully they raise a smile or two as they appear in various wargames scenarios around the world. However.... we are aware that some people are downright upset by the female nudity, and others feel it more appropriate to have the girls fully clothed for their games. We don't judge. However Roy Williamson has just sent us his depiction of our Calamity Jane. Without any conversion work he has skillfully painted over her bare 'top' and therefore provided her with the necessary dignity for his game. How easy is that? Nudity problem solved with the stroke of a brush! Well done Roy!

No problem with nudity, but just pointless to me  ;D

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

d_Guy

Quote from: Tawa on 02 February 2016, 05:19:07 PM
By 'eck lad! Not get many o' them t'pound!

Put this in Google translate: Unknown Britsh Dialect to American Hillbilly - it did not work!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Roughly it means "Goodness gracious. That lady is delightfully Rubenesque."
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Leman

d_Guy - it refers to the purchase of goods in this country by pound sterling, i.e were you buying said bosoms by their weight, they are so enormous you would not get many for your £1 - bloody convoluted or what!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Isn't it pounds weight? As in "if you purchased those by the pound, then there wouldn't be that many"?