Trench guns

Started by Rifleman65, 22 January 2016, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rifleman65

I would like to see some u.s. Troops with the 1897 Winchester 12 gauge shotgun. Also u.s. Troops with the bar.

Rifleman65

The Germans hated the u.s. Shotgun so much they tried to get it banned . Has anyone else heard of this.a friend of mine, who is a ww2 veteran, told me some ww1 vets told him this.   

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They weren't keen, and did try to get them banned under the Geneva convention, but you are allowed to use mustard gas!

https://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/RC-Weapons.pdf
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Rifleman65

A very interesting document, thanks, I think the gas is a much more cruel weapon myself!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It was my thought that both gas, and WP were banned as chemical weapons, whilst shot guns are banned due to the nature of the ammunition, which causes excessive wounding....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

The German cited the 1907 Hague Convention in 1918 which forbade the use of any weapon that caused "unnecessary suffering" and threatened to execute any American caught using a shotgun.  The American response was that they'd execute any Germans using flame throwers or saw bayonets.

Neither shotguns nor White Phosphorus are banned by the Geneva Convention.