Meet the Judges!

Started by Leon, 21 January 2016, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

21 January 2016, 10:42:06 PM Last Edit: 21 January 2016, 11:24:36 PM by Leon
Here's the motley crue who will be judging all of this year's entries!  

- Nik Harwood!
- Clibinarium!
- Andy Mac!
- Techno!
- Kev1964!

Each of the judges will be given 3 / 2 / 1 points to award in each category (3 points to the best entry, 2 points to the second best, 1 point to the third).  The points will be tallied up and the winners will be announced shortly after the closing date of 29th Feb.

So, who are they?!

Kev1964!
After he cleaned up in the 2014 competition, we had to promote Kev to the judging team instead!  His work has been seen all over the Forum, in those previous painting competitions and more recently painting up mollinary's ECW army.

Like many middle aged chaps on the Forum, Kev started painting Airfix figures in the '70s, so he thought he'd give figure painting a go.  Luckily it has kept the wolf from the door for four years now and he's still enjoying it!

Pics of Kev's work: https://imageshack.us/user/kev1964

Nik Harwood!
Nik has been painting figures since the age of about 5 when he started trying to colour in the weapons on his older brother's Airfix plastic Afrika Korps; he made a decent amount of pocket money in junior school by painting early Citadel figures for fellow classmates playing D&D; his first 'proper' wargames armies were Colonial British and Zulus - done for a school project aged 12. He's not looked back since - apart from a brief hiatus when he was distracted by totty...his main interests are...multiple [& still include totty, 10mm or otherwise] :-)

He spends his time these days training hamsters to run really, really fast to keep his interwebs working properly...

Pics of Nik's work: http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/ and all over the Forum!

Clibinarium!
Clibinarium will be a name familiar to a lot of people as the sculptor of our Late Roman, AWI and League of Augsburg ranges.  Before he decided to start pushing the putty about and setting new standards in 10mm sculpting, he had a similar flair for painting as well!

Pics of Clibinarium's work: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=213.0

Andy Mac!
Andy is another well known name in the 10mm circuit, doing work for a variety of manufacturers and gamers over many years.  His work can be seen on all of our painted AWI webpics he's currently working on finishing off the rest of the League of Augsburg ones as well.  Andy's view has always been if the artist can put that amount of work into producing the figure then it's only fair he try to do the same when painting it!  

Pics of Andy's work: http://www.displacedminiatures.com/andymac/

Techno!
Phil refuses to tell us how old he is and will only admit to being slightly older than Dave.

He's worked in the industry full time since 1987 when he joined Games Workshop as their photographer, though he'd had numerous of his painted figures in White Dwarf and various Citadel Journals before this.  From there he went on to run the figure painting unit in the studio, writing many of the 'Eavy Metal articles and helping out with the figure painting for White Dwarf and numerous rule books and games produced at the time.

After that, he was (Hah!....His word) 'put in charge' of the figure designers to help coordinate miniatures production.  After leaving Workshop in '91 he started working for various firms as a freelancer, designing figures, which he's been doing ever since.

He thinks it was '89 when he was informed that "You're chief judge for Golden Demon this year."..An experience he remembers with a slight shudder...(Though he was laughing when he said that.)  "Stroll on....You trying looking at hundreds and hundreds of entries all within a few hours......Eeeek"  

He originally thought that helping judge the Pendraken Painting Competition would be a lot less stressful and a lot more fun, but has been regretting it ever since...  ;)  He's always rather chuffed to take part though!

Good luck to everyone who enters!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Quote from: Leon on 21 January 2016, 10:42:06 PM
Here's the motley crue who will be judging all of this year's entries!

The points will be tallied up and the winners will be announced shortly after the closing date of 28th Feb.

Surely you mean the esteemed gentlemen ;)

It is a leap year and you previously mentioned the competition closing at midnight 29th Feb
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 21 January 2016, 10:55:09 PM
It is a leap year and you previously mentioned the competition closing at midnight 29th Feb

Oops...  :-[  My fault for copying and pasting the bulk of it from last year!  Closing deadline is indeed midnight on the 29th!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Leman

Sounds like a reality TV programme.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

A truly talented team!   I note there are, as usual, lots of good prizes but, as I looked at the list of judges, a thought occurred to me. Would it be possible for each of the judges to paint a small Pendraken vignette to award as their own individual special prize for whatever took their fancy most? Just a thought.  :-\

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: mollinary on 22 January 2016, 10:49:52 AM
A truly talented team!   I note there are, as usual, lots of good prizes but, as I looked at the list of judges, a thought occurred to me. Would it be possible for each of the judges to paint a small Pendraken vignette to award as their own individual special prize for whatever took their fancy most? Just a thought.  :-\

I'm not sure if they'd each have the time for that?  We could maybe get a single one done for next year that could be given out as a special prize?

Techno

I reckon it'll be May 2018 before I get a chance to paint anythingX_X
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 22 January 2016, 01:53:32 PM
I reckon it'll be May 2018 before I get a chance to paint anythingX_X
Cheers - Phil

Why May?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Because I reach State Pension age at the end of April 2018.........Huzzah !

Cheers - Phil

kev1964

You slave driver Mollinary  ;D;D, That idea did cross my mind this morning,then i thought would the winner want something painted by someone else ?. I would gladly offer to paint 3 or 4 command figs on a base to fit in with someones army. What about if everyone who enters gets allotted a number then goes into a draw and i'll paint a base of figs that they want, that gives everyone a chance of winning something. I don't do vehicles though, i leave them to the experts  ;D.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: kev1964 on 22 January 2016, 03:04:45 PM
You slave driver Mollinary  ;D;D, That idea did cross my mind this morning,then i thought would the winner want something painted by someone else ?. I would gladly offer to paint 3 or 4 command figs on a base to fit in with someones army. What about if everyone who enters gets allotted a number then goes into a draw and i'll paint a base of figs that they want, that gives everyone a chance of winning something. I don't do vehicles though, i leave them to the experts  ;D.

kev

That sounds a fantastic and very generous idea, and a real incentive to people to enter. How about it, Leon?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

That IS a generous offer, Kev.  =D>
Cheers - Phil

fred.

That's very cool, great offer Kev.

I like the idea of it being a prize for entering

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

Very nice offer Kev

I was going to offer to do something similar myself but decided it wouldn't be fair if the value of peoples figures went down once I was let loose near them with a paint brush
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!