Pendraken Painting Competition 2016!

Started by Leon, 17 January 2016, 02:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

17 January 2016, 02:32:47 AM Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 02:53:46 AM by Leon

It's that time of year again!  The 2016 Pendraken Painting Competition opens on February 1st and runs all the way through February.  The 2015 competition had 229 entries (winners can be seen here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11625.0.html ), all of a consistently high standard, so we're really looking forward to seeing what this year holds!

As mentioned, the competition will run throughout February, meaning that the leap year will give everyone an extra day to get your entries in.  The closing deadline will be midnight on the 29th February.

The big news for this year is our new category: 'Warband Base'  This category does exactly what it says on the tin, so any single Warband base, whether it's a cool command stand or a unit of warriors crammed in like sardines!  

The only other change from last year is that we've dropped the 'single base' requirement for the other categories, allowing multiple bases to be lined up and entered, as long as they still fall within the figure quantity rules.  As folks have their figures based up on all kind of size bases, instead of being restricted to a single base with maybe only 4 or 5 figures on it, you can now line up several bases to get a better 'unit' look.

Categories:

Foot - Pre-20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Foot - 20th C. - Min: 3 / Max: 16 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Vehicle - Single vehicle on or off base.
Fantasy & Sci-Fi - Anything Fantasy or Sci-Fi oriented, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray.
Open - Single Base - Anything which doesn't fit into the other categories, with a max base size of 100x100mm.  Includes single figures, artillery bases, command stands, etc.
Open - Army! - Armies, Units, Dungeons, whole table setups, anything!
Warband! - Any single base for use in our Warband rules, this can be a command stand, a unit of warriors, an artillery base, etc.

If you're unsure which category to put your entry in, let us know what it is, and we'll point you in the right direction!

Rules  - Please Read!

- Firstly, all figures must be Pendraken.  Conversions are allowed, but only on our figures.

1. You must be a Forum member to enter, but other than that, everyone is welcome!

2. You may enter as many times as you like but each entry is only allowed 2 images (except for the 'Army!' category, see below).  Like last year, we are no longer allowing montage images to keep a level playing field.  You can however edit your two images into a single file for the sake of uploading/hosting them.  If you have any difficulty posting pics, they can be emailed to Pendraken and we'll put them up for you.

3. The 'Open - Army!' category may have 5 photo's, as it's difficult to cover a whole army with just a single photo!

4. All entries must be your own work, and have not been entered into any online competitions before.

5. Entries should have been completed in the last 12 months.

6. You can post WIP photo's if you wish, please create a new thread for these.  You can also post extra photo's of your work elsewhere on the Forum.  These will not count towards your competition entry.

7. The winners will be decided by a team of five judges.  Entries will be judged on the painting first and foremost, but remember that effective basing can make a nice entry look even better.

8. Competition threads will be created on the opening date, purely for your entries.

9. Pendraken may use your pics in future promo/marketing, catalogue covers or web pics.  Entering gives your permission for your pics to be used.

We've got some great prizes lined up once again and we'll be announcing those in the next few days, so keep an eye out for that.

So, things to remember:

Competition opens - February 1st!
Closing deadline - Midnight, February 29th!

There's still time to order any extra figures you need, so get them in to us asap to make sure they arrive in good time!  There's been some excellent painting shown on the Forum over the past 12 months so we're looking forward to seeing some of it in the competition.

If there's any questions, let us know!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

God, I'd better get my skates on and paint/finish something!!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Roy

Yep, I've a few bits and pieces that I can take part with  :)
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

I shall watch with interest. Unfortunately I can't get my figures beyond "look half decent on the wargames table" and I'm spending time painting to get stuff on the table. Quite happy to show it elsewhere on the forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Your stuff is better than mine DP, go on, pick a category and go for it!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Make a new category!
Best use of a Minibits MDF base. Requirements: proof that its from Minibits (Leon can check his records - photo of purchase at a show), no figures/vehicles, base has to be modelled/painted/made to represent a landscape be it rural/country/dungeon/lunar etc, etc. Terrain items such as flowers, trees, walls, furniture etc, etc can be used (figures painted as statues is exceptable).
Forum members vote on a winner in a forum poll.
Winner receives a pack of Minibits MDF bases  ;D

100% not Pendraken Miniatures Painting Competition official!  :D
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Matt J

Good luck all. I'll be watching from the sidelines this year so looking forward to seeing some cracking entries  :-bd
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Fenton

17 January 2016, 11:52:01 AM #10 Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 11:53:58 AM by Fenton
Did you miss out the rule about Kev1964  not being allowed to enter? :d
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Luddite

The entries get better every year.  Really looking forwards to the 2016 parade!   :D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

O Dinas Powys

An extra 24 hours of sweating time this year!  :D
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Ithoriel

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 17 January 2016, 11:18:49 AM
Make a new category!
Best use of a Minibits MDF base. Requirements: proof that its from Minibits (Leon can check his records - photo of purchase at a show), no figures/vehicles, base has to be modelled/painted/made to represent a landscape be it rural/country/dungeon/lunar etc, etc. Terrain items such as flowers, trees, walls, furniture etc, etc can be used (figures painted as statues is exceptable).

I approve of this :)

I think this might be the only category I have an entry for, at the moment.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 17 January 2016, 11:18:49 AM
Make a new category!

When I started reading this I thought it was going to be an entry made purely from minibits MDF bases!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts