Pendraken Painting Competition 2016!

Started by Leon, 17 January 2016, 02:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

On a serious note I will enjoy looking at the entries.

Even with an optivisor, good light, W&N series 7 brush, 12 hours sleep, and six months dedicated painting time I would not be able to equal most of the runners up, let alone the winners.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Tawa

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 20 January 2016, 09:56:01 PM

Even with an optivisor, good light, W&N series 7 brush, 12 hours sleep, and six months dedicated painting time I would not be able to equal most of the runners up, let alone the winners.

You'll still surpass my efforts  :D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

Techno

Yes, you could, Mark ! Anyone here could......If they practiced, and took their time. (If they HAD the time.....There's the rub)
To me, the only difference would be the amount of time it would take.

I'm prepared to be shot down in flames here.....But isn't the case that most folk paint to a standard they're content with....So they can get the wee chaps on the table as soon as possible ?

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Some of it is about time :-\

• Time to find the techniques
  • Time to experiment and learn the techniques
  • Time to master the techniques
  • Time to apply the appropriate techniques

But it is also about Talent which bring the techniques to life

• Talent with colours
  • Talent with a brush
  • Talent with selecting and composing figures on a base
  • Talent with basing

This tune Leon posted a few days ago sort of shows what I mean, most of the band have taken the time to learn the techniques

The drummer has TALENT, or at least thinks he has ;)

Quote from: Leon on 19 January 2016, 05:59:00 PM
Wait for the drummer...

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

I have a plan to improve my performance this year.

I also know how to make my figures look better in the competition. It's all about the photograph. I plan to photograph my entries from at least 12 foot away, then photoshop the result.

The drawback to this cunning plan is that my photoshop skills are as good as my figure painting skills.  :-\
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Nobody touches Aretha Franklin at that song.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Know exactly what you mean.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

GrumpyOldMan

Hmmm... Painting competition time again - time to slink away with my pitiful painting efforts while muttering "Please move on, there's nothing to see here - No, really, there's - NOTHING - to see here...."  :D :'( :'(

Ithoriel

Nice selection of prizes and no doubt some very worthy winners once again.

If nothing else, the entries give me standards of painting to aspire to.

As to securing any of the prizes, I have more chance of successfully dating Claudia Schiffer :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

I'm putting my chances on the Euro millions. Claudia turned out not to enjoy hill walking.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jwebster

So
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray

Well I have 3 elephants, each with 3 riders - does that count ?

I have kids, re-writing interpretations of rules is a common occurence. I never thought I would have to include sign language as part of the no swearing rule

John

Leon

Quote from: jwebster on 27 January 2016, 09:09:56 PM
Mounted - Min: 3 / Max: 10 figures, on either a single base, multiple bases, or in a movement tray

Well I have 3 elephants, each with 3 riders - does that count ?

Yep, that'll go in the Mounted category, no worries.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

O Dinas Powys

Talking of mounted figures, Lemmey and I have got our now traditional paint off sorted - it's heavy cavalry on heavy cavalry action this year  :D

May the boldest stallion and sharpest lance-tip win  <)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner