Bloody Big Battles event in Oxford, 2016 - interested?

Started by Chris Pringle, 17 November 2015, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Our "Bloody Big Battles" Franco-Prussian War 10mm demo/participation game at Warfare last weekend generated so much overwhelmingly positive response that, as suggested by some of those who stopped by to chat, we are seriously considering running a purely BBB event for one or two days, probably in Oxford UK, in 2016.

BBB was published a year ago and is designed to enable major 19th-century battles such as Gettysburg, Sedan, Koeniggratz, Solferino etc to be fought on a 6'x4' table in a 3 to 4 hour club night. There are also smaller scenarios available which can be fought in under 90 minutes on 4'x4'. The idea is probably to have a mix of big and small games so there is always something for everyone to do.

Timing yet to be considered, but obviously we'll try to avoid clashes with major existing shows.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, you can reply here, or better still join the BBB Yahoo group and vote in the poll there.

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Leman

I for one would be interested so will take a look at the Yahoo page.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Definitely interested, but as I polled, it all depends upon the family stuff as well. Any idea where in Oxford it may be? An easy to get to venue naturally appreciated.

Chris Pringle

Plan A is to host it where Oxford Wargames Society meets: Wolvercote Village Hall. That should accommodate up to 10 or 12 games, say 50 or 60 players.
http://www.wolvercotevillagehall.org.uk/

Chris

Fenton

Would love to attend but  fear the cost if getting there would be prohibitive
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

NeilCFord

As with everyone else, when is likely to be the biggest factor over whether I could attend or not. But in principle think it's a splendid idea and would definitely attend if it's practical.

- Neil.

sunjester

I'd certainly be interested. Would there be games suitable for newbies to the rules to learn the rules?

Leman

Checked out the map location of the village hall. Appears to be less than 2 miles from the city centre so walkable. Would need at least a couple of months notice so I could get the best deals re. hotels and retail travel.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Rulebook just arrived so plenty of time to get to grips with them in advance of said event :).

Chris Pringle

@Sunjester: yes, I am sure we will run some of the small 'starter scenarios', as well as the major ones. The little 90-minute, 4'x4' scenarios for Montebello and Langensalza are among my favourites now, and also Balaclava is very likely.

We certainly intend to give plenty of advance notice so people can plan ahead.

Chris

Dave Fielder

Rule book ordered, 6mm FPW, APW and ACW figures being re-jigged and awaiting full details of 2016 ...
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis