What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippee

28 December 2016, 11:04:42 PM #735 Last Edit: 28 December 2016, 11:16:12 PM by Zippee
The Wallachians had
An Average Command Structure, 2 Fair generals & 2 rolls of destiny
4 Boiari - CM 5, 2, B, 3 Comp Bow B
2 Veteran Viteji - CL 4, 1, B, 2 Comp Bow B
2 Viteji - CL 3, 1, B, 1 Comp Bow B
2 Voynuk - FP*, 5, 1, C, 3 Long Spears
2 Levy - FP, 3, 1, C, 1
4 Veteran Archers - T, 4, 0, B, 2 Shortbow A
4 Archers - T, 3, 0, C, 1 Shortbow A
2 Handgunners - T, 4, 0 B, 1 Handgun
2 Crossbowmen - T, 2, 0, B, 1 Crossbow B - these (I am now certain) are a list error, they should be S not T and were quite the liability as it turned out  >:(

This was split reasonably evenly into 2 commands

I can only make an educated guess at the Hungarians
A Good Command Structure and 2 Expert generals
2 Warwagons
2 FP long spears (1 with the C-in-C)
1 CP Impetuous Hungarian Nobles
2 CP German Men-at-arms
1 CP Hungaran Royal Guard knights (with general)
5 assorted CL - 4 horse archers [a 3,0; a 3, 1, a 4,0 and a 4,1 all B comp bow B] and some Serbian Hussars [4,0 B no missiles weapons]
2 Crossbow Skirmishers
2 T handgunners
3 T archers

this was 2 commands, the C-in-C and all the infantry, 1 of the German knights and the hussars and war wagons;  a general with the 4 CL horse archers, the Hungarian Nobles, the royal guard knights and the other German knights

If you have the lists you should be able to work them up from that, if not give me a shout and I'll see if I can get the list Chris used  for you

paulr

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? – Big Battle DBA 3.0
2) What armies were confronted? -
        IV/7 Early Crusader1096AD-1128AD & IV/1a Komnenan Byzantine 1071-1142AD vs.
        IV/2 Cilician Armenian 1071AD-1375AD & IV/6a Syrian 1092-1286AD
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? – Fairly comfortable, still checking as these are test games
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? – First with the Big Battle variant
5) How many players were in the game? – Solo

BBDBA uses three DBA armies a side (36 elements) on a double width battlefield (1200x600mm)

Both the Early Crusader and Cilician Armenian lists had two options for a lot of the troops so by adding a few extra elements I can field two armies.

The Crusaders supported by the Byzantines invaded Armenia. The Armenians chose difficult hills and woods for their Auxilia to fight in.

The armies arrayed for battle.

Back left – Armenians with Auxilia in the woods, Bow approaching the hill, and Knights ready to march round the flank.

Back centre – Armenians with Spear in the centre, Psiloi on the hill and Knights, including some Franks, in reserve. The Armenian and Syrian camps in the rear.

Back right – Syrians with Warband, Auxila and Psiloi on the hill, Cavalry and Light Horse on the flank.

Near left - Godfrey of Bouillon's Crusader army with Byzantine Light Horse screening the flank, Pilgrims in the left wood, crossbow and bowmen in the right wood and Godfrey and the mounted Knights as a central reserve.

Near centre - Bohemund of Taranto's Crusader army with Spear and dismounted Knights in the centre, crossbow and bowmen on the hill, more Spear supported by Bohemund to the right of the hill.

Near right – Byzantines in columns of bow and blade, cavalry and Light Horse.

The centre - the Bohemund's dismounted Knights although outnumbered by the Armenian spear have destroyed an element of spear. Unfortunately they have followed up into overlaps and been counter attacked by Armenian Knights and are destroyed in turn.

The Crusader right – the Byzantine cavalry press the Syrians forcing them to commit some of their light horse. With the Syrian line disrupted the first of the Syrian cavalry is destroyed.

The Centre – the counter attacking Armenian Knight threatens to break through so Godfrey of Bouillon and his immediate retainers charge destroying the Armenians.

An overview of the battle – the Byzantine press the depleted Syrians on the Crusader right while on the Crusader left the Armenian Auxilia have broken many of the Pilgrims. (Fortunately they don't count to the break point of the command). The centre remains confused.

As the battle continued Godfrey of Bouillon fell in the centre beset by Armenian Knights and spearmen, this combined with other loses demoralised his army allowing the Armenian Auxilia to loot the camp. The Syrians also became demoralised allowing the Byzantine Light Horse to sweep round into the rear of the Armenian centre.

The centre - Bohemund committed his spearmen and Light Horse between the hills to attack the Armenian centre's left flank. This combined with the Byzantine Light Horse allowed his dismounted Knights to destroy another Armenian spear element to break the enemy army.

Final overview – a hard fought game with both sides one element off braking going into the final turn.

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Looking good Paul, I hope you are pleased with the results of all the effort to get these guys on the table!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Definitely pleased :) :D

• with the look of the game
  • with the rules
  • with the mix of armies and troop types
  • with the different options for games
  • with the possibility of a campaign

Two more armies to get on table, Turks and Egyptians :!!
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Thanks Zippeee that's an interesting mix.

I can't imagine vbu2 shooters are likely, either!

Paul, that looks cracking :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Hwiccee

Had a pleasant gaming day yesterday. We played two games, a game of League of Augsburg in Ireland and afterwards  a Marlburian battle.

League of Augsburg
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - From Sedgemoor to Staket (a set in development)
2) What armies were confronted? - Jacobite Irish vs Williamite, circa 1690
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes and no
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No but rules are still beig developed.
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

This was a test game for a set in development for smaller battles in this period. The player is something like a brigadier in command of 5 to 10 units. We were testing the basic game mechanics (i.e. for standard 'Western' units of the time) for the rules with complete novices. They quickly picked things up and the game flowed well. We will now focus on adding in more exotic types, GNW Swedes, Ottomans, etc.

On the actual game the Jacobites outnumbered the Williamites by around 2 to 1. Their cavalry were superior but both sides were mainly infantry. The Williamite infantry were superior to their  opponents. In the initial stages of the game the Williamites stood on the defence and the Jacobite masses moved forward. The Jacobite advance caused so confusion in their ranks and the Williamites took the opportunity to launch a counter attack. The Williamite infantry soon had the Jacobite foot in trouble and would go on to comprehensively rout them. On the more exposed flank the Williamite cavalry managed to catch a Jacobite infantry battalion in the flank and dispatched it. This left the victorious Williamite cavalry exposed and the superior Jacobite in turn pounced & quickly defeated all but 1 of the Wiliamte cavalry units. It looked at this point like the battle would swing through 90 degrees as the victorious Williamite infantry on one flank would turn to face the victorious Jacobite cavalry on the other flank. The sole remaining Williamite cavalry were to change this. They were exposed but in a position to prevent the now superior numbers of Jacobite cavalry ganging up on them. In a series of actions against the odds they managed to hang on and give their opponents a bloody nose. This heroic unit swung the battle for the Williamites.

War of Spanish Succession

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Revised Twilight of the Sun King
2) What armies were confronted? - Anglo Dutch vs French
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No but first time with scenario generator
5) How many players were in the game? 4

The second battle was a large battle, approx the size of Blenheim or Ramillies. The idea was to test a system of generating random armies for 'generic' battles set in Flanders 1704-1711. The generation system worked OK but will need some tweaking. It should provide a basic framework for one off battles and will be posted online when completed.

KTravlos

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - 1897 Ottomans vs. 1897 Greeks
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? 4

Leman

1. Basic Impetus 2

2. Early Ptolemaic v Early Seleucid

3. Very comfortable

4. First time with v2, but been using BI since they first came out.

5. Two players, two games, one win each.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sandinista

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Black Ops
2) What armies were confronted? - Regular army and rebels from fictional middle eastern land of Kiwistan
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? 2

Played several scenarios set in same village set up, each taking it in turn to play both sides. Was fun, not too complex and is a quick game to play

Cheers
Ian

Nick the Lemming

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Rommel
2) What armies were confronted? - Juno (Canadians vs Germans)
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - First time with this version of the playtest, played quite a few games of previous playtest versions
5) How many players were in the game? 2 + umpire (checking rules etc)

Last Hussar

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Fighting Sail
2) What armies were confronted? - French v British
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - First time in a live game with Sunjester.  Had a mini solo game - 2v2 - the night before just to make sure I understood the mechanisms
5) How many players were in the game? 2 - Me and Sunjester.

We enjoyed them.  They lack the detail of other sets, attracting criticism from 'serious players'.  As I use the 'Pirates' collectable ships to play with that also annoys some of them.

The Napoleonic Naval I've been using is Kiss Me Hardy.  FS lacks things such as sail setting, target rigging or hull.  However in KMH 4 ships is enough for one player, and the game takes 2-3 hours.  Our first FS game was 200 points - 4 ships each - and took an hour (including Sj learning the rules.  We then had a 'standard' 300 pt game with captains, 6 ships which took about 1 3/4 hours.  2 players could knock off a large engagement in a club evening easily.

Unlike KMH there's virtually no book-keeping, you need an 'anchor token' denoting a ship moving slowly (its not anchored - its more 'badly set sails' I think), and a way to mark the damage on each ship - we use the 'Pirates' coins (Ships and coins reunited after about 8 years!).  There are 'personality ships' that have better stats and special abilities, and named admirals that give greater bonuses - Putting Nelson on the Victory is about 206 points!

Tweaks that could be made -  'Explosions' called Criticals instead - Explosion is too dramatic!
Add bowchaser rules - 1 Gunnery in fore and aft arcs (the Raking arcs) maximum of short range.
Maybe tweak the damage 'deck' - the resolution table - so you can fire at masts or hull - Mast shots give an anchor token on Hits = Saves (0 hits, but not more saves than hits), but shift all other results up by one.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry