What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: Zippee on 27 August 2016, 09:05:12 PM
A do-gooder mob that insists on it being 'their way or no-way', those that disagree are chemically brain washed into alternate life structures, there's no dissent allowed.

They may not have the evil mass-murder intent of other fascist states from history but they are totalitarian: alternate views are not acceptable, variance is not acceptable - the Prime Directive is sacrosanct right up to the point the viewpoint being protected ceases to agree with Star Fleet's ideals.

Hell even the crews of flagship starships have 'counsellors' on board to ensure compliance and the correct mental attitude is adhered to - previous cultures would have called them commissars.

We may not see them deploy a death star but they absolutely would do whatever was necessary to meet their ends - no matter the good intention, a policy of 'the ends justifying the means because we know best' is fundamentally no different from the Sith's, only the motive and what is considered 'best' is.

From all I can see the future earth of Star Fleet is utopian fascism. . .

I have now probably invested far more thought into this than the subject warrants and it is a derail, so apologies for that  :D

WOW!   SCARY!!!!!!!     :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

"A deep unwavering belief is a sure sign you're missing something..." - Anon
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

1) What rules did you use in your last game? - General Quarters 2 with various pre-dreadnaught period add-ons.
2) What forces were involved? - Ottomans vs Greeks - a refight of the Battle of Elli December 16 1912 off the entrance to the Dardenelles.
3) How many players were involved? - 5
4) How many times have you used these rules? - Many times, but first time we have used the pre-dreadnaught add-ons
5) What do you think of the rules? - I LOVE GQ 1/2 rules and the add-ons we used really gave a good feel for the period.

Despite sinking two Ottoman TBD's without losing any ships themselves the Greeks lost the action by 5VP to 2.5VP as the Greek flagship, the new armoured cruisier "Georgis Averof" took significant damage while the old coast defence "battleship" Spetsai was also damaged by an Ottoman torpedo.

The Ottomans were slightly gobsmacked to find that they won the game  :o

Paul ran the Ottoman shore batteries but the Greeks wisely never came into range of them, so he was gainfully employed in calculating "to hit" rolls instead...Thanks Paul  ;) 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

It was a jolly good game even though the Greeks never came close enough for me to fire at them ;D

The pre-dreadnought mods, including halving the ground scale, gave a significantly different game and I think had the right feel :)

Both 'battle' lines got to within 5,000 yards and were still struggling to score straddles and then do damage. The new fangled turbine driven Greek destroyers ran rings around the much slower Ottoman ships

It was amusing to see both sides more than happy to break off because of the heavy damage they had suffered and find that under the GQ victory conditions only three ships were sufficiently damaged to count towards victory :o

We jump forward 30 years and half way round the world to Iron Bottom Sound next week
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

MeG, Imperial Rimams vs Alans

Did I know what I was doing: Kind of.

Did I understand the rules: Yes.

Did I somehow succeed and break the back of the enemy army: No, I was one hit from breaking him, when he broke me!

Was it more luck than good generalship: For Mark, yes, for me, no, my generalship was appalling, but luck was good, his was great!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1. Regimental F&F

2. Federal cavalry v. Confederate infantry

3. 2 player game.

4. Used these rules a lot, but still find trouble with them because there are so many bits and pieces to remember and I am rapidly going off that type of rulebook as I get older. On another table a player using the same rules discovered (no one else in the club could remember it or even ever using it) that a 10 on first fire does not cause a unit to go low on ammo.

5. I think 4 has just answered 5.

6. So how did the game go? Reasonably smoothly but probably loads of rules forgotten or ignored. There's that weird slightly involved rule and another where your not involved but you contribute to outnumbering, and we ignored the table edge, as it was only a four foot square table, and someone else in the club then had a rant about "off the table means off the table" and I had to gently remind him that:
a) he was not playing in this game,
b) the two people who were were actually enjoying it. (Reminds me, again, of what happened at Phalanx).
Oh, incidentally, it was Buford (me) at Gettysburg, and the Federals gained a narrow victory.

Thank god for the home wargames room!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

"and someone else in the club then had a rant about "off the table means off the table" and I had to gently remind him that:"

I especially like that when they haven't actually ever played the sodding rules. Here, let me comment on something I am not only not involved in, but also know nothing about!

*winds up the middle finger

I rathe rlike the F&F rules of various stripe, but am in agreement re:fiddlyness and faffiness on rules. Whenever I use them I spend more time thinking "wait a minute, I'm missing something..." than actively playing :/
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

In many ways I think BBB has streamlined F&F, which is why I'm playing much more ACW with them and also with Altar of Freedom these days. I may well give that McPherson's Ridge game another go, but with FOB2. For one thing the units will fit better as they are all four bases, but with different characteristics.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - Jacobites vs Hanoverians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

After a long summer break, nice to be bunging die again :)

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sharp practise
2) What armies were confronted? - British & Spanish vs French in the Peninsular
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Not bad having played CoC
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

A good, fun intro game which is what I think these rules will be good for.

Zippee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Last Night on Earth
2) What armies were confronted? - err Zombies v Survivors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 plus a scenario coordinator

Ok so not really a wargame but effectively a miniature skirmish game.

We got lost in the forest, it was full of zombies, many of us died, but we found the relay tower and scaled Jacobs Ladder when our rope broke, the Sheriff died like a hero (so did the Nurse, several students and a drifter or two) but I got away to warn the next town..  VP was at 4:2 to the zombies after the last scenario, we changed that to 8:5. I don't care what you say I'm claiming that as a win  :D

Leman

Last but one game:

1. Honours of War

2. French v. British SYW

3. Very comfortable with these rules

4. No

5. Two player game

6. It was the Surprise at Spittelwitz scenario from the rule book. The French sprung a surprise and got well rogered for their trouble - needless to say I was the French.

Nosher

Quote from: Zippee on 02 September 2016, 05:29:13 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Last Night on Earth
2) What armies were confronted? - err Zombies v Survivors
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4 plus a scenario coordinator

Ok so not really a wargame but effectively a miniature skirmish game.

We got lost in the forest, it was full of zombies, many of us died, but we found the relay tower and scaled Jacobs Ladder when our rope broke, the Sheriff died like a hero (so did the Nurse, several students and a drifter or two) but I got away to warn the next town..  VP was at 4:2 to the zombies after the last scenario, we changed that to 8:5. I don't care what you say I'm claiming that as a win  :D

Love that game. Just can't find anyone to play it with
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leman

1. Wings of War

2. One of those 3 wing Fokker planes, and another one that only had two wings v. a Sopwith Camel and another British two winged plane.

3. Seemed to play very smoothly and very quickly.

4. I had never used these rules before and it was only the second time I've ever played an air wargame.

5. Four plus the scenario co-ordinator.

My impression was that, for such an expensive game, it was a very random affair. I managed to get one clear shot in and the Germans won, but I was not really very clear about what was going on. Wouldn't mind a couple of the planes for use with my WWI armies.

FierceKitty

06 September 2016, 09:20:33 AM #449 Last Edit: 06 September 2016, 09:22:55 AM by FierceKitty
Iacta Alea Est, Two players, Neo-Assyrians and late ancient Egyptians. Good game, with a bit of amazingly bad luck on both sides, which may explain why both armies withdrew with dodgy morale after five rounds, probably getting mugged by the Babylonians on the way home.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.