What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mortem et Gloria (MeG)
2) What armies were confronted? - Later Imperial Romans vs Persians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - getting there
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - third
5) How many players were in the game? - two

I took a tonking as I stupidly went in to combat as individual units, and Dracostandard, who knows the rules far better than I, took me to pieces in detail. Great game, learned a huge amount.
And remembered a huge lesson from the days of WRG 6th, unsupported Roman Cavalry die!
As punishment (game was over by nine) I came home and finished a unit of light foot, two units of Auxilia and a unit of catefractorii!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1. BBB

2. Hanoverian v. Prussian 1866

3. Yes

4. No, fair number of games under my belt now.

5. Two players
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blucher
2) What armies were confronted? - 1809 French v Austrians
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, despite it being our first game
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? Yes, yes it was
5) How many players were in the game? - Two players, one umpire/rule arbitrator/maker of coffee

Got through 18 turns in an evening - not bad for a first outing. My stoic Austrians defended their positions and roundly defeated two corps level attacks without breaking into their reserve.

First the French launched I Corps against my Avant Garde on the left flank - they were repulsed by a grenadier counterattack and artillery support from I Korps - Austrian hussars were working around their flank by game end, although one battery had been forced to retire and the Grenz brigade was shattered by the experience of countering 4 French brigades.

Next the French launched II Corps against the central Austrian ridgeline occupied by I Korps, this was pounded on the approach and despite some grim assault odds rebuffed at knife point, where stuck in the mire the French were pounded by artillery and skirmish fire and all but ceased to exist as a fighting formation.

In desperation (I think Andy was channelling Ney) the French launched the Reserve Cavalry Corps (columns of cuirassiers), who charged up the hill, bounced and fled back down it again. Prepared Infantry uphill are quite tough it seems - although they did force another battery to retire.

French III Corps approached behind the wreckage of II Corps but thought better of it. Austrian II Korps hadn't been involved (except for artillery support) and they together with the Kuirassier reserve had a pleasant day picnicking in the sun.

All good fun and very few mistakes that we could identify. We will be returning to it soon - back to D&D again for a while though

FierceKitty

Ten More Sons!, Ava Burmese vs Ming Chinese, 2 players. YES! The Burmese have finally won a battle. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Zippee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Impetus
2) What armies were confronted? - Late Roman v Hun Confederation
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? No
5) How many players were in the game? - Two

Attila proved victorious in our re-run of Catalaunian Fields but it was a damn close run thing as ever. Moment of the game was Theoderic dying in a most historic manner. And Sangiban, rolling double and losing his activation just as the Huns swarmed over his command.

We love Impetus, as always it came right down to the wire with Aetius almost managing to grab victory in the closing moments with his second rate pseudo-comitatenses managing to hold the full bore charge of several large gothic warbands. In the end the Roman foederati Saxons couldn't stand against the Gepid nobles and the army morale collapsed as they were overrun.

toxicpixie

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Impetus Baroque
2) What armies were confronted? - Early Imperialists vs Swedes
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - One

As Ms Pixie and the bairn are away, I have some free time so am getting a few games in; last nights was Baroque "I can't believe it's not Bretenfeld". I've just completed some 2mm Irregular figures for it (@£25 for four armies worth, bargain!), and even using multiple blocks per base 60mm "brigade bases" mean a two foot board. Am hoping to drive some easy take up at the club, as it's got a low rules AND table foot print.

Anyway, poor maps meant Tillys deployment hampered him more than helped, Swedes are tough to close on, Tercios are scary until they get shot up, and the Finns are bloody terrifying when you can let 'em rip. Outcome looked like a Swedish defeat for most of the game, until Gustav's cavalry wing stopped dithering in front of a stalled Tercio and left it to race across the back of their lines and stave off a successful flank attack by the Germans. Good stuff, think after a few games it'll be dead quick as I'll have memorised the Reaction options and chances, and not have to keep stopping to think "errr, wait, hang on, some one should do something here, who can do what, err...". Good stuff, well recommended if you're at all an Impetus or c17th fan.

One thing it reminded me is that I really need to buy rules on paper. A tablet copy is great for reading and very portable, but flicking back and forth during a game on it is a pain. I finish with a piccy!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Interesting stuff - I think you could have fitted more of the little blocks on the bases  :d

I too am thinking about needing a hard copy of impetus - not sure whether to spring £15 to get the PDF printed properly or just print it myself, but it might use that much ink the professional printing and binding would be cheaper!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Quote from: fred. on 01 August 2016, 05:22:00 PM
Interesting stuff - I think you could have fitted more of the little blocks on the bases  :d

I too am thinking about needing a hard copy of impetus - not sure whether to spring £15 to get the PDF printed properly or just print it myself, but it might use that much ink the professional printing and binding would be cheaper!

Yes, I could have squeezed a lot more on - my inspiration for actually getting them sorted was http://steelonsand.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/2mm%20ECW where he's really got them packed in and it looks even better! However, cost and time and speed meant they were actually a little bit thinner on the ground than I'd have gone for. I'd actually have liked to use 15mm base sizes (12cm wide) and gone "full size" with even more figures on but that would defeat the object of being able to run two games in a one game space :D

I suspect just buying a copy on dead tree would be cheaper than printing :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Battlesheep
2) What armies were confronted? - Sheep vs Sheep
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, it's battleships, with sheep!
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 2, my eldest Imi and I.

Imi thrashed me! 🐏⚔🐏
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

Not sure I agree about the number of blocks per base. Sometimes the sheer number of blocks just makes them look like a blob rather than being able to see the formations being aimed for. Not sure I would do the blocks the same as I did for Langensaltza again. Will try to get a more accurate look next time, but it will probably mean more blocks without flags.

Leman

Lemmy got in while I was posting. my post is directed at Toxic.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

toxicpixie

For a limited value of "sense", Will :D Battlesheep, hey? I must keep an eye out for that for me and the bairn :D

Andy, I liked your Langensalza chaps - I went for 20mm by 15mm bases for 2mm BB, which in hindsight was an error. I'd already stuck and flocked a shed load of 1866 stuff for an abortive former project, so followed suit. Should have sucked up popping them off and going with larger squares (makes game play easier!), and used a couple of blocks per base for storm columns, or a line and a skirmish for Prussian style etc.

I know what you mean about too many blocks spoiling the look but so long as the base size and figure numbers look about right... which I *think* I hit?! Just bigger bases still could have even more representative figure to man to formation ratios...

Leman

Tbh I'm thinking the 3mm ACW blocks are looking better. My next 2mm effort will be the frontier battles in 1866 so I'll be looking to do Austrian columns v Prussian lines. Will use Millenary's photos for inspiration.