What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

Quote from: Nosher on 10 June 2016, 01:15:49 PM
LMAO  ;D ;D

What happened to your pointy stick or can you still go to prison for that?  :d

I've still got the pointy stick - but it's generally frowned upon to use it on the under 10s...especially given my line of work ;)

Gennorm

Quote from: mad lemmey on 09 June 2016, 11:38:12 PM
Great game, hard fought conflict. I spent my time avoiding the French Young Guard, while Nick destroyed the Allies and Marie Louise units!
The Guard was a shock - right in front of our initial attack :o - but leading with the grenadiers paid off as they and the cavalry held up La Garde long enough for the soft under-belly (the Italians by coincidence) to be found. It turned out that the opposing dross was even drosser than our dross! Gotta love a load of Landwehr. I might have recruited 2 more players as well :)

Nick

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

1. BP Glory Hallelujah -

2. Union v Confederate, Western theatre. We used the Luka scenario for our first game. It was a little toughie, seven moves long. The Confederates were whittled down for a narrow Union victory right at the end.

3. Not entirely. The toolbox approach of the rules is somewhat akin to somebody having thrown the box on the floor and jumbled everything up. The amount of matey, jokey verbiage in the books also makes for an entertaining  read, but is an absolute bar steward when you are trying to pinpoint a particular rule.

4. This particular supplement, yes. It should become more familiar over time.

5. Four players.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Double post from me, as I failed last week!

So - last week -
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Frostgrave
2) What armies were confronted? - My Necromancer & his minions from the Court of the Shadow Fey, another lame human necromancer and an enchanter of little account.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very. It's quick, simple, and coherent. Supports multiplayer well, just needs a surprising amount of terrain to break up LoS!
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Crikey no! We've been campaigning in the ruins of Felstad for a year now, off and on. My Wizard would be top but he got viciously killed some time back and I had to promote my apprentice to fill his pointy Elven wizard shoes :D
5) How many players were in the game? - 3

Cracking game, one of the Thaw of the Liche Lord campaign trail. We'd heard rumours of a broken down cart carrying TREASURE guarded by some death cultists, so we'd converged on it to ransack the money secure it for the good of the living. The other Necromancer picked a fight with me early on, hoping to pin me against him and the enchanters warband, but the 'chanter always plays cagey and sought careful cover instead. As I'd deployed in arrowhead formation so I could fight either side or forwards I just swung and pannelled the pitiful challenger into the dust.

The necromancer got two treasures out but most of his warband was left bleeding in the snow, whilst the enchanter played so cagey (Fog, buffing up, scuttling between cover, trying to be clever and pop up to shoot into combats between other people then dive back again) that the undead reinforcements of the Death Cultists arrived and he had to deal with them whilst I ransacked most of the treasure off the cart :D

And my Captain finally levelled up! Now he takes even more gold off the top of my profit, goit.

And this week -

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles!
2) What armies were confronted? - 1859 Austrian versus French (with token Italian allies), Montebello  small sized minimim scale trainign scenario off the Yahoo! Group files.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Mostly. It's like a simpler, better F&F without the faff that's well written and easy to play straight off the book/scenario.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - For BBB, yes - I wanted to try and play through with myself before introducing it at the club or playing with others ;)
5) How many players were in the game? - Me!

Montebello is a small division versus brigade-ish sized encounter and part of the short, sharp initial engagements in 1859 that rocked the Austrians back in confusion prior to the big battles at Magenta and Solferino. In many ways it's a simple "quality versus quantity" fight, with small numbers of veteran, well led French against masses of inept Austrians, but it introduces pretty much all of BBB's rules concepts and is also well balanced (from one run through).

For the French it's a delicate balance between massing your limited forces, throwing caution to the wind and going in a la bayonette at every opportunity and spreading out to cover the potentially wide frontage the Austrians could advance on. For the Austrians it's a question of actually getting everyone in the right place and going in mob handed - their limited entry points are over a rail or road bridge on the same table point and trying to get multiple badly commanded big formations across without causing a huge traffic jam is really hard work.

The French looked about to be overwhelmed initially due to bad movement rolls on their part giving early reinforcements to the Austrians, and excellent movement rolls for the Austrians meaning they got substantial forces over early and towards a useful position to mass up in formation, but then they reverted to type and stalled, the Italian cavalry ran their opposing brigade out of ammo and finally charged home breaking them and sending them back to jam up the bridges and the small French veteran unit that bore the brunt of the Austrian attack being able to retire behind a larger one and recover after breaking a second large but fragile Austrian regiment.

All was not lost for the Austrians as one of Schaftgotters two regiments had remained in column of march and just kept trundling round the southern hills and into Genestralo (a victory point village location), and as I'd mistakenly panicked over how bad the French centre looked and sent their reinforcements to shore it up, there was no one left to chuck them back out without some heavy counter marching!

Only got four turns in as despite a quick play time (even with a solo first game and having to check things in the book and remember which bases are with which unit - must sort proper base labels for the Austrians!) people kept asking me what was happening and what I was playing :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

16 June 2016, 03:56:29 PM #305 Last Edit: 16 June 2016, 04:02:26 PM by Leman
Tuesday - four ironclad games. First was god old Monitor v. Virginia. As the Virginia I blew away the little cheese box's  guns, then smashed it's engine. After that it was the Manassas up against my two cotton clads. Disaster for me. Tried again and another disaster. So finally I had a go with four cotton clads. After three of the beggars sank I finally got the little Seegar.

Wednesday - A four person game of FOG - Indians v. Later Achaemenid Persians. The Persians won. I was on the Indian side.

Tonight - Neil Thomas' C19th Europe rules. The Battle of Nachod using top down paper soldiers. Will try and get some photos up soon.

FierceKitty

It's funny how Hampton Roads is popularly described as a Union victory. Look at both days, and it was a substantial rebel success, and even on the second day the only casualty was on board the Monitor.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 June 2016, 04:27:17 PM
It's funny how Hampton Roads is popularly described as a Union victory. Look at both days, and it was a substantial rebel success, and even on the second day the only casualty was on board the Monitor.

.... except, FK .... after the action, the Union blockade was still in place. A bit like Jutland, I suppose.   :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Surely nobody expected the Virginia to break the blockade? It was a raid, wasn't it?

vonlacy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Repique II
2) What armies were confronted? - Federal v Confederate
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Just getting to grips with the mechanisms
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

Doing a re-run of the 1st Bull Run.

Leman

1. Honours of War

2. Austrian v. Prussia - Seven Years War

3. Yes, two moves and I was back into it - introducing a friend to the period and the rules using the Clash at Kutzdorf scenario from the book. The Austrians attacked from the south, but the Prussians soon gained control of Kutzdorf and once they had positioned their guns mayhem ensued and the Austrians were driven off.

4. Played a lot of games, but this was the first one since March.

5. This was a two player game.

FierceKitty

Iacta Alea Est, Greeks and Persians (two games on successive days), two and three players respectively, good game which gave a very satisfactory and plausible result.

Nosher

1, Baroque
2. Royalists v Parliament Braddock Down 1643
3. Still a bit suck it and see at the moment - need more games as I am not sure I am getting all the rules interpretations right
4. second game
5. Solo

The Parliamentarians even though outnumbered, delivered a crushing blow the the West Countrymen, helped along the way by some spectacular dice throwing and very helpful terrain.

I would like to run this scenario again, grading the hill as gentle and offering no advantage to the defenders. I'd also reduce the table size for the scale (fought using 6mm units on 60x30 bases) Most of the game was spent manouvering across the vast 5x3 table!

Batrep up soon ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Blücher
2) What armies were confronted? - 1806 Prussians vs Early French
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - First time solo without our guru, lots a rules diving and mistakes, but fun.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Third game, first time without our experienced player.
5) How many players were in the game? - two with two observers/rip takers.
I sacrificed a corps of Prussians to destroy the French flank with my cavalry. We got the win/lose ratio wrong, armies break at 1/3 strength, not 50%, which means I might have won about an hour earlier rather than losing later, but a very tight game and great fun. One base for both to break at the end! 8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Hep!, 3rd Crusade vs Ayyubids, two players, and I was pleased that for a change massed fire took the bite out of the knights' charge (a lucky hit against Richard helped).