What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Quote from: paulr on 23 December 2016, 03:42:46 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun, which version of DBA?

1.1, as it's the copy I have in the loft and the last one I played regularly - I'd pretty much stopped at the point v2 was released; played a few games but the spark wasn't there!

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 December 2016, 11:36:05 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Epic 40k 6mm 3000pts a side.
Some how the EPS actually managed a win!
I had units over the halfway line, he didn't. I held all my objectives, Graham did too, so 2-1 to me!!!

I recognise those sand stone hills and dunes :D Looks a good fight!

Quote from: Leman on 23 December 2016, 08:19:52 AM
Got my first Basic Impetus 2 game on Tuesday.

Got the PDF when it came out, and it looks very slick; I'm hoping slick and simple enough I can get the club interested and play it enough to get going; as we've only just managed to get into DBA I suspect it'll be a hard sell even without trying to explain rules over the back of the noisy table!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 December 2016, 09:24:25 AM
I recognise those sand stone hills and dunes :D Looks a good fight!
Thank you for letting me have them, They were a huge hit with my opponent, he wanted them all out. It was a great game!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Rocking :)

Ms. Pixie enjoyed doing them, she was very happy to others like them! I'll pass that on, be a nice bump for her :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Norm

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? One Hour Wargames and Black Powder
2) What armies were confronted? - Union v Confederate ACW
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - yes
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - no
5) How many players were in the game? - both played (very well) solitaire

Two systems, two gaming session, one scenario. I took scenario 25 from Neil Thomas OHW.  I tend to find the OHW rules a little too stripped back for me, so I added my usual morale house rule and I think this makes a difference in feel. The significance of the game is that it fits in a 3' x 3' space. The Union had 4 units and the Confederate 6.

Both games have video coverage and as regular visitors will know, will be posted as blog post on Christmas Morning.

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Sword & Spear II
2) What armies were confronted? - Anglo-Saxon civil war
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Getting there
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

Another trial game and really starting to get a handle on the rules now. Upped the forces on both sides, which was a mistake, as I ran out of time to finish the game. I really need to set up a small game with terrain and worked out forces to move on to the next level. Great ruleset though :)

Norm

look forward to a blog post that may come out of your dabbles with S&S II. I have them and have been watching the YouTube replays by a gamer called Ralph.

I get the impression that you need to run them a few times before the allocation system becomes intuitive.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Norm on 23 December 2016, 05:34:16 PM
look forward to a blog post that may come out of your dabbles with S&S II. I have them and have been watching the YouTube replays by a gamer called Ralph.

I get the impression that you need to run them a few times before the allocation system becomes intuitive.

The trick to it is getting your attack in first if you can, so the lower the dice you assign, the better, generally. Assign doubles / 6s where possible too to get a bonus in combat or shooting, or if you need that little bit of extra movement to get into combat.

fred.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Dragon Rampant
2) What armies were confronted? - High Elves vs Men of the West
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - first play, but very easy to pick up
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - Solo

While the rules are easy to pick up, and have several clever balancing mechanisms, the problem for me is the activation mechanism. You roll to activate each unit, typically needing 6+ on 2d6. If you fail not only does that unit not activate, it ends your turn. This means you can have turns were nothing or just 1 unit activates, potentially giving your opponent back to back turns. For a solo game this isn't too bad (but still pretty random), but in a 2 player game I think it would be very frustrating. It made it very hard to have any kind of plan as too often your troops just stood around. I think if I was to play DR more, I'd change it so that a failed activation switches play to the other player, and keeps switching until both players have had a chance to activate all their units each turn.

I liked the differences in stats between attacking and defending. And the way strength points, courage and armour works between elite troops (especially cavalry) and core troops.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

2) What armies were confronted? - Various including Demons, orcs, medieval-style men, barbarians, hobbits
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - a nice fun set of rules, still gives an easy, playable game with multi-players
5) How many players were in the game? - Ten

Albie Bach

Quote from: sunjester on 24 December 2016, 07:02:15 AM
2) What armies were confronted? - Various including Demons, orcs, medieval-style men, barbarians, hobbits
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - a nice fun set of rules, still gives an easy, playable game with multi-players
5) How many players were in the game? - Ten

I still haven't forgiven you for ambushing my Leader with your monster that was lurking down the mine with the jewel. I hadn't realised yours was a Ranger. No wonder the others were all egging me on to go down there and take you on.
Well my Leader survived - just.
All that blood for a jewel that turned out to be a miniature Galaxy bar (or was it a mince pie?)  ;D
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

fred.

26 December 2016, 08:59:31 AM #730 Last Edit: 26 December 2016, 09:01:50 AM by fred.
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Escape from Colditz (boardgame)
2) What armies were confronted? - German Guards vs Dutch and American prisoners (we picked the counters by colour, then discovered the nationalities!)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes - missed a couple of things early on, which made it very easy for the guards to block rooms. But after some re-reading realised they weren't allowed into the rooms.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes (well I'd played the original at a friends house 30 years ago, but couldn't remember any details of that!)
5) How many players were in the game? - 3, myself and my two daughters who were keen to play, and seemed keen to play aagin

The production values are very high - the box is really heavy! The board is thick and nicely illustrated. The pieces within the box come in 'red cross food parcel boxes' and there are various facsimile documents.

It is a long game - especially at times you can spend a lot of time thinking, this is particularly true for the German player who is trying to second guess the prisoners. Steph ended up with all but one of her prisoners in Solitary confinement - as she couldn't roll doubles to free them. I managed to get two prisoners to escape, both by scaling walls with lots of rope and then making a mad dash. The second one was shot at by a guard, but fortunately had the lucky talisman that halved the guard's shooting result, it wasn't needed as the guard rolled a 3 (on 2d6) and narrowly missed his own toes!

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Westmarcher

Looks like fun, fred.  :-bd

Moving on ....
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Honours of War
2) What armies were confronted? - SYW Austrian (red force) vs. Prussian (blue)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Getting more familiar now - still missing out the odd thing.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - 3rd game
5) How many players were in the game? - Me and the schizo

Played the Kutzdorf scenario. A much narrower battlefield than SteveJ's recent BP Nap re-fight photos would indicate. Austrians were the attackers and torn between using their artillery superiority or advancing with all their infantry (but masking their guns) to overwhelm the Prussian right wing. They went for a softening up barrage first with an advance by the Croats through the forest against the Prussian right flank. The Prussians withdrew their left wing infantry behind the crest line to neutralise the effect of the Austrian artillery and, thanks to an 'inspirational' move (like a 'blunder' in BP) their right wing advanced down the hill against the Croats, knocking them back into the woods. The two opposing cavalry brigades then squared up and fought each other to a standstill. The Prussians actually won but were so badly mauled that it didn't take too long for the Austrian guns to usher them off the field too! With no cavalry on the field at all now, the Prussian left wing infantry then advanced off their hill to hem in the Austrians who in turn tried a general advance to break out from their starting area. This stalled thanks to Prussian musketry and canister and with 1 breakpoint left and the Austrian line retreating to reform, the Prussians occupied Kutzdorf to win the game. As mentioned, a tight battlefield for the Austrians to contend with. Fancy playing it again and trying something completely different.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

When I fought this with the Prussians starting on the hills and the Austrians south of the town, the Prussians also gave the Austrians a good hiding - twice!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Impetus
2) What armies were confronted? - Hungarians v Wallachians (mid 15th Century)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, very
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Not by a long chalk
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Entertaining 500 point throw down game with my mate's newly re-based Hungarians (not new figures though, many date back to the early 80s).

I threw a Wallachian force together from assorted Arabs, Goths, Byzantines, Turcopoles and Pechenegs all led by a pair of Gondorian generals - certainly a polyglot force  :D

Sadly the Wallachians were defeated in a see-saw engagement that saw the Hungarian baggage looted, most of the Hungarian and German nobility killed by peasant archers and their Hussars soundly trounced. However we were unable to stop the wall of war wagons and the Hungarian royal household knights hung on in a hail of archery for a final charge that broke the Wallachian left wing and the army.

Great fun as always and nicely matched (if very different forces - I'm far from my comfort zone with medieval, let alone exotic eastern European medieval) - very definitely a defeat of an inferior command structure to a superior one, the Wallachians just couldn't grab the initiative when it was critical to do so and the superior Hungarian command repeatedly allowed them to get out of trouble and inflict damage, despite being out-fought at a tactical level.

toxicpixie

Not often you get to say "superior Hungarian command structure" :)

I'd be interested to see the lists you used, sounds a cracking game.