What Ruleset Did You Use In Your Last Game 2016

Started by Steve J, 01 January 2016, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I thought I'd kick this off today even though I won't play a game for a day or two.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? -
2) What armies were confronted? -
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? -
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? -
5) How many players were in the game? -

fred.

I'll get the first game in then, on the 1st, even if posting just into the 2nd!

1) Rules - Epic Armageddon
2) Forces - Space Marines vs Orks
3) Comfortable - Yes, only had to check a few minor points
4) first time - No. Played many times over the last year
5) Players - 3 (2 Orks vs me as SM)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Congratulations on being first, how did the Bananas get on?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hwiccee

Had a few games recently - thank you the bad weather :)

Game 1:

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Mit Blut und Eisen (http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/FUFF.htm)
2) What armies were confronted? - FPW French vs Prussians.
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes
4) and... was this the first time you used the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 2 vs 2

A play through of a battle of Gravelotte/St Privat scenario. A pleasant game which saw a very aggressive Prussian assault across the front. This nearly led to disaster on the Prussian right but the inability of the French players to decide what to do gave the Prussians time to win on the left.

Game 2:

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Hail Caesar
2) What armies were confronted? - Romans vs Gauls
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - No
4) and... was this the first time you used the ruleset? - Played the series of rules a few time, 2nd game of Hail Caesar
5) How many players were in the game? - 4

The game was enjoyable thanks to the player involved but the rules, and the rest of the series, are frankly a joke. I have tried with this series of rules but they not for me.

Game 3

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Playtest of 'Warr Without an Enemie' rules (http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/WWAE.htm) for 1680-1720
2) What armies were confronted? -
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes and no. Yes with the original rules, some of the proposed changes for 1680+ need work
4)and... was this the first time you used the ruleset?  - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 1 vs 1

A playtest game aimed at extending the ECW rules to cover later wars. Generally very encouraging but still some problems to overcome.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

1) What ruleset did you use in your last game? I Ain't Been Shot Mum (IABSM)
2) What armies were used?  British v German Operation Bluecoat Normandy July 1944
3) Did you feel comfortable with the rule set? Broadly - though we were pretty rusty
4) and... was this the first time you used the ruleset? No - though it has been well over a year since any of us used it.
5) How many players were in the game? 4 (2 vs 2) plus umpire

A two platoon British company from 15 Scottish Division with Churchills and a Crab Flail and a Crusader AA in support attempted to push forward through a prepared defence manned by a reinforced platoon from 326 Infanterie Division - including stragglers and a PAK40.  We played about 4 hours or so. Advantage to the Germans but the British were about to get another rifle platoon.   Iron crosses for the Panzerschreck team (KOing a Churchill and the Crusader AA).

Regards

Edward

vonlacy

Happy New Year to all.

First game of 2016.

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Tonight we play tested It's a Long Way to Tipperary, first draft of my WW1 rules.
2) What armies were confronted? - 1914 Germans and BEF
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, only as I wrote them
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - Yes
5) How many players were in the game? - 5

Learnt a lot and we still have some way to go.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Naval Thunder
2) What armies were confronted? - Scharnhorst and four destroyers vs Duke of York, cruisers and destroyers (Battle of North Cape)
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - very.
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - 4th game today.
5) How many players were in the game? - 2, Poth and I.

Full report later, but wow! Scharnhorst is a lot harder than people give her credit for!!!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - 'Panzerkeil'
2) What armies were confronted? - Belgians against Germans, May 10th 1940; fortress Eben Emael and the Kanne bridge
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes!
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No, we've played this for years now.
5) How many players were in the game? - 9

The German glider troops had some very bad luck with most landing on the extreme Southern tip of the fortress meaning they had to cross along the whole length of the fort while the Belgians had some luck; although they only managed to occupy two blockhouses at the start of the game they were the two MG-bunkers covering the whole area. In the end the Germans did destroy their targets with their hollow charges and flamethrowers but at a heavy price. The gliders landing in the rear of the Kanne bridge positions had some extreme bad luck. Bad map reading resulted in one glider overshooting the drop zone by several kilometers and of the remaining nine gliders the dice rolls were 'ones' on four of them which meant they ended up crashlanding. At the end of the first round the Germans had less than 2/3 of their original numbers available. The parachute reinforcements went pretty bad too (with a German artillery strike, that they forgot to call off, hitting the jump zone immediately after the Fallschirmjäger landed) and with the bridge effectively blown the remnants were rather quickly shot up and captured...
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Battleship Zenith
2) What armies were confronted? - German Kriegsmarine vs British Navy 1040
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes!
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - It was for me.
5) How many players were in the game? - 8

After the Eben Emael game we played a try out of Battleship Zenith which some of our members have played before. The German Battleship Bismarck tried to break out to open water together with the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen. The British had the battleship Prince of Wales, the old Hood and the two heavy cruisers Suffolk and Norfolk. The game mainly is about manoeuvring your ships into the best possible position to engage (of course). After the manoeuvring the positions and targets are plotted complete with bearing, speed, distances etc, and the computer then works out the spotting and detailed damage for hits. In the end the Germans won tactically but lost strategically. When we had to stop the Prince of Wales was listing heavily and had only it's rear turret left operable; Hood had just one turret left and was waiting for it's coup de grace; Suffolk was completely silenced and had only 1/3 of it's speed left and was burning, as was Norfolk which had just one turret left firing. Prinz Eugen lost three turrets in the last round (!) but was still under control and structurally in acceptable condition as was Bismarck despite being on fire and having lost one turret. Yet the threat was gone and the Germans really had no choice but retreating and licking their wounds while the British would be able to replace their losses and repair damage relatively easily... great game; nailbiting tension while waiting for the firing result to appear on the screen!

vonlacy

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Tonight we play tested It's a Long Way to Tipperary, second draft of my WW1 rules.
2) What armies were confronted? - 1914 Germans and BEF
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Yes, only as I wrote them
4) and... was the first time do you use the ruleset? - No
5) How many players were in the game? - 5

Second play test of my quick play rules, must have gone down well as we will play the third draft next week.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello AoS
Quote from: Ace of Spades on 10 January 2016, 09:41:37 PM
1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - 'Panzerkeil'

I'm not familiar with this rule set. Being a rules fool/junkie any mention of an unknown rule set can set me  off with one of my turns  :o. Couldn't find it with a quick Google, any chance of a link or quick explanation?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Austrians vs Allies at Montebello 1859
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

Excellent rules that feel like we've been playing them a long time, even though this is only our third outing with them :).

Ace of Spades

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 11 January 2016, 02:44:38 AM
I'm not familiar with this rule set. Being a rules fool/junkie any mention of an unknown rule set can set me  off with one of my turns  :o. Couldn't find it with a quick Google, any chance of a link or quick explanation?
Sure GOM,
There is no link; it's a ruleset friends of mine made up many years ago and they are meant for WW-2 platoon level. It's not a skirmish game with individual figures but rather your platoons are based in teams; rifle teams of three men normally; rifle teams, rifle/smg teams, two man LMG teams etc. It is a very detailed rules set and therefore not a very quick one. Yet the results, even when playing large games (we tend to play virtually everything 1:1) are very close to historic outcomes usually in terms of losses, ground gained or traversed in game time etc. Up 'till now the rules are still only available in German (I am working on a Dutch translation) but if you're interested just drp me a line!

Cheers,
Rob

Steve J

1) What ruleset do you use in your last game? - Bloody Big Battles
2) What armies were confronted? - Confederates vs Union at First Bull Run
3) Did you feel comfortable with the ruleset? - Very
5) How many players were in the game? - 2

GrumpyOldMan

Hello AoS

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 11 January 2016, 09:11:22 PM
Sure GOM,
There is no link; it's a ruleset friends of mine made up many years ago and they are meant for WW-2 platoon level. It's not a skirmish game with individual figures but rather your platoons are based in teams; rifle teams of three men normally; rifle teams, rifle/smg teams, two man LMG teams etc. It is a very detailed rules set and therefore not a very quick one. Yet the results, even when playing large games (we tend to play virtually everything 1:1) are very close to historic outcomes usually in terms of losses, ground gained or traversed in game time etc. Up 'till now the rules are still only available in German (I am working on a Dutch translation) but if you're interested just drp me a line!

Cheers,
Rob

Thanks for the info. Excuse any mistypi g on my teeny tiny phone screen. That explains why I couldn't fi d any information :). They sound a bit complex for my tastes but it sounds like they give a good game. Thanks again.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan