Anyone know about ball bearings?

Started by clibinarium, 13 December 2015, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Refound this by accident. I want to know what happened.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

When I was aI was a kid in the 50s/60s we used to call them bollies and used them just like marbles.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

I thought about shotgun pellets as well and you can buy them in bags (rather large bags for this application so cracking a she'll probably best.). Dust shot (varmit shot) at smallest runs at right at 1mm diameter, so too big I think.
Sleep with clean hands ...

clibinarium

25 April 2018, 04:21:52 PM #33 Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 04:26:13 PM by clibinarium
I had forgotten about this thread. It worked- kinda. I got some very small bearings which were too big and were quickly abandoned. Then I managed to get some smaller solder balls and they worked ok, but were just too big as well. Didn't try anything smaller as the solder balls were very difficult to handle; too small to pick up with any sort of grip, they had to be pressed with a fingertip to stick for a few seconds and then had to be shepherded  around the putty to then press in. Lots were dropped 9though the vial said there were ten thousand it it so I was not going to run out. Ultimately it was a lot of work. I've decided to go to digital sculpting and printing to do this project, so a whole new approach has to be learned.

Below are some abandoned sculpts with the results of the solder balls

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8k3Zr7adtGYiop3Q2

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: clibinarium on 25 April 2018, 04:21:52 PM
I had forgotten about this thread. It worked- kinda. I got some very small bearings which were too big and were quickly abandoned. Then I managed to get some smaller solder balls and they worked ok, but were just too big as well. Didn't try anything smaller as the solder balls were very difficult to handle; too small to pick up with any sort of grip, they had to be pressed with a fingertip to stick for a few seconds and then had to be shepherded  around the putty to then press in. Lots were dropped 9though the vial said there were ten thousand it it so I was not going to run out. Ultimately it was a lot of work. I've decided to go to digital sculpting and printing to do this project, so a whole new approach has to be learned.

Below are some abandoned sculpts with the results of the solder balls

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8k3Zr7adtGYiop3Q2

It's a shame that it was such a pain, they look really effective.

What you need is something like a syringe (or plastic Pasteur pipette) with an aperture slightly smaller than the pellets: suck them onto the needle, push them into place then release the pressure  :-\

What diameter are the pellets?
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

clibinarium

Label says "0.76" , no units but presumably mm.