Any Warband players in the Netherlands?

Started by Ace of Spades, 12 December 2015, 09:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace of Spades

Howdy folks,

I was wondering if there are any 'Warband' players in the South-East of the Netherlands; to be more precise in the Nijmegen/Eindhoven area?
I'm considering some Fantasy stuff bit I'd like to know if there's anybody in the vicinity to play with/against?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

Hmmm...I think that's quite clear then; either nobody 'round here plays Warband or they allready know me and try to ignore.... :-\
Okay then, there's still a lot of other stuff I can spend my money on! :D

Cheers,
Rob

Leon

Not a lot of customers playing yet unfortunately!  You'll have to set the ball rolling...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 14 December 2015, 08:26:41 PM
Not a lot of customers playing yet unfortunately!  You'll have to set the ball rolling...  :D

Don't push him Leon, if he doesn't find anyone, he'll have to collect both sides to play solo, and you earn double as much  ;D ;D

Ace of Spades

Oh yes, as long as I will pay for two armies and put in all the work I'm sure there's a whole lot of Hollanders willing to play along... as long as it's free... damn cheapskates! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

petercooman

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 14 December 2015, 10:09:08 PM
Oh yes, as long as I will pay for two armies and put in all the work I'm sure there's a whole lot of Hollanders willing to play along... as long as it's free... damn cheapskates! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Got to love them stereotypes!

Techno

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 14 December 2015, 10:09:08 PM
damn cheapskates! ;)

Nah !!
Have they changed that much, in the 20 years since I visited Eindhoven ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Techno on 15 December 2015, 07:11:18 AM
Nah !!
Have they changed that much, in the 20 years since I visited Eindhoven ?  ;)
Cheers - Phil.

Eindhoven isn't Holland Phil, it's the Netherlands... I live in the Southern part of the Netherlands, that's why I feel I can make such a clear distinction! :D ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ace:
Can you post a map, the whole Antwerp/Holland/Dutch/Nassau/Netherlands/other-states-who-never-get-a-fair-look-in thing always confuses the heck out of me. My limited knowledge of the area only ever works until the end of the Napoleonic wars, and then the linear Market Garden campaign!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

You mean a modern day map with all these little intricacies on it...? I'm not really sure whether there is one actually... :-\
I can have a look if I can come up with something though!

Cheers,
Rob

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just rough divisions would do!
Guess it's like trying to describe England by counties, and calling England 'Hertfordshire'!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

I guess I could give it a try.... :-SS
First of all; the Netherlands is the whole of the country as seen on the map below; it's inhabitants are called the Dutch...

Let's see; the orange and apple green 'Provinces' are the only ones offically and originally called Holland (South- and North-) and were, together with Zeeland (the pink one), the most influential throughout the Dutch Revolt. The biggest cities are situated there and these days 'Holland' is roughly considered to be Noord- en Zuid-Holland together with the province of Utrecht. Because these were, and still are, the most densely populated provinces and held the power in 'The seven Provinces' and later in The Netherlands they also held all the major cities, industries, governmental institutions etc. Even so that when The Netherlands prepared to defend it's neutrality in 1914 and 1939, but even from centuries before, the major effort was always concentrated on holding 'The Fortress Holland' by means of inundations, fortifications and troop concentrations. The rest of the country was more or less abandonded and only defended long enough so that the troops in the 'Fortress Holland' could prepare all defences and inundations.
I guess that this is one reason for the rivalry between 'Holland' and the rest of the country. Then there is also the economic/social discomfort with 'Holland' being the industrialized part of the country whereas the rest is still more or less rural; case of 'city slickers' against the 'hillbilly's' sort of... For people (like me ;)) living in the Southern provinces Noord-Brabant (the Southern Brabant lies in Belgium these days) and Limburg (of which Belgium also has one!) Holland is more or less everything North of the river Maas and/or Waal. That is partly due to the outcome of the Dutch Revolt when these provinces remained predominantly Catholic and were more or less forced to join The Seven Provinces as a Southern barrier against Spanish or Catholic French agression. These two provinces did not have the same rights as other provinces and were directly governed by 'Holland'. (All provinces have a 'Comissaris van de Koning' who is the representative of the King/government whereas the province of Limburg still has a 'Gouverneur'!)
As you see; there are some historical 'issues' were still learning to deal with :D

Belgium has been united with parts of the Netherlands for quite a while under Burgundian and Spanish rule and when Napoleon was defeated in 1813 the allies decided that a united Netherlands North of France could form a strong enough barrier to keep the French out of Antwerp which was still seen as the main route to Great Britain... The Belgians were not too fond and revolted against Dutch rule in 1830 making Antwerp a Belgian harbour. Problem, as you can see, is of course that the estuary of the river Schelde, originally Antwerps only access to the sea, is completely controled by The Netherlands a problem Montgomery also encountered when he captured Antwerp in 1944 but still had to take the islands of Zeeland that controled the Schelde to be able to use it... (During Belgiums fight for independence in 1830 their was quite some stirring in the province of Limburg too, making the Dutch government fear they might loose that too!)

The thing with Nassau is somewhat more difficult too explain; the prince of Orange (in France, near Avignon) and Nassau (Duchy of Nassau in Germany) was asked by the Dutch nobles that started the revolt against Phillips II of Spain to become their leader in the form of a 'Stadhouder' a more or less republican term for the country's highest ruler of the days but apparently royal lineage was still welcome to add some weight (and money to fund the revolt I might add!) Afterwards the family ties with the duchy, though no longer very direct, were still somewhat maintained and when the Dutch army took the field against Napoleon in 1815 the troops from Nassau were put under Dutch command. After the German unification any direct ties were cut and the name Nassau now only lives on in the name of the Dutch royal family.

I hope all this helps somewhat to clarify matters; on the other hand; maybe it didn't... ;)
If I made any mistakes in my text or shortcuts that confuse or misrepresent certain points I do sincerely appologize! All this is a personal and very short version of the  history of the Netherlands and it's people...

Cheers,
Rob

fsn

Could you clarify the Holland/Netherlands thing?

Also, where does "Dutch" come from?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Growing up in Shrewsbury, it was twinned with Zutphen, didn't even know it was in Gelderland!
Thank you, that cleared up an awful lot Ace!  8)
He's drunk, he's pissed, he'll see you in the lists! Gelderland! Gelderland!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!