1/600 ACW Naval

Started by Roy, 12 December 2015, 02:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Been working on the 1/600 ACW models this week. A few are still WIP, and even more haven't been started.
All models are Peter Pig. Rules: Hammerin' Iron (just bought it) and Smoke on the Water.

The collection so far - plus another City-class gunboat has just been finished.

Painting up the last four figures I need to start a Frostgrave troop next, then back to either ACW naval or 28mm Old West. [I'm determined that 2016 will see me back playing games!]
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Oooh, I like them. What's the white disc over the monitor?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

A parasol, I presume! Keep the sun off and the rain out...

Very nice!

Also, hope you enjoy Frostgrave, we've had good fun with it.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

Thank you  :)

Quote from: FierceKitty on 12 December 2015, 04:01:21 PM
What's the white disc over the monitor?

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 December 2015, 04:36:43 PM
A parasol, I presume! Keep the sun off and the rain out...

Yes, a simple attempt at the parasol. In truth I buggered it up a bit (hence why it isn't a close-up photo  ;D )

The stock Monitor model is very boring, so I had a go at making the parasol, plus the boat davits, and attached a Peter Pig ship's boat before the turret. Presumably they towed the boat, or cast adrift, before going into action.

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

They look terrific, to me !
Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

12 December 2015, 09:23:30 PM #7 Last Edit: 12 December 2015, 09:29:21 PM by Westmarcher
These are excellent, Roy!  :-bd =D>

How do you rate Smoke on the Water rules? (I've never played them). I first read about these on Angus Konstam's Edinburgh War-games website. (BTW, this has a few AARs which may be of interest to other forum members - see link below).
http://www.edinburghwargames.com/acw_naval.htm  (see Journals, 1,9 and 27)
The rules can also be downloaded for free at
http://www.rapiermedia.net/acwnaval/sotw2/Default.html

Also, had the pleasure of visiting the Mariners Museum in Virginia again this year where some remains of the Monitor are exhibited (see link) http://www.marinersmuseum.org/uss-monitor-center/
From my hazy recollection, I think all of the stanchions, boat davits, part of the smoke stack, etc. on the Virginia were all swept away by gunfire the day before the fight with the Monitor so I would guess the boats went too.*

Finally, back in 2007(?), my wife and I were on a short break in the Borders (for our foreign friends - of England and Scotland) when we paid a visit to Durham Cathedral. As we strolled around the great Cathedral, our admiration of the architecture and the whole serene ambience of the place was enhanced by this lovely classical organ music playing in the background. When I turned a corner, there was this grey haired, pony tailed guy (no, not Techno) playing an organ especially set up for the recital. As i walked towards the guy, he suddenly smiled, broke into a few bars of Smoke on the Water, then effortlessly slid back into whatever classical piece he had been playing. Turned out, it was Jon Lord of Deep Purple!   :o  

* although when I think about it, towing the boat sounds a better option!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Sounds like that case in 18th-century Germany when a resident church organist challenged an anonymous stranger to an organ duel. Had he known he was challenging Bach, he might have been more circumspect.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ace of Spades

Wow, great stuff!'

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jambo1

Roy

Thanks everyone  :)

Quote from: Westmarcher on 12 December 2015, 09:23:30 PM
How do you rate Smoke on the Water rules? (I've never played them).

Ditto. Or, I should say, I've only played them once. A Two boat duel, just to work out the rules.
I found them very easy to memorise and play. Possibly a tad simplistic in some respects, given the depth of rules of most naval games. But they do work - although using the optional rate of fire rules really does slow the game down to the point of 'what's the point of playing'. At the end of 20+ turns of gaming the two ironclads that were used had only suffered superficial damage (due to gunfire), so it could be argued that the rules play close to historical fact in that respect.
No doubt like yourself, the Edinburgh Wargames website pushed me towards them and I've read the AARs on there a few times. 

I'm hoping to get enough painted asap, and play games of smoke on the water since it allows free-play (as opposed to Hammerin' Irons rigid requirements). Now I've made contact with enough gamers local to me I'm hoping there'll be interest in playing, since the rules are simple and the game AARs I've read seem to be good fun. I'll let you know how it turns out.