Battle of the Wadi, 13 January 1916

Started by WeeWars, 12 December 2015, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeWars

Battle of the Wadi, 13 January 1916

Some images for Paul.

The satellite image displays true north. Water courses can change but the present positions of the river and the wadi make the battle map look little more than a sketch.

The Imperial command had expected the Turks to hold a position in the Hanna Defile with their left flank protected by the Suwacha Marsh and were heartened when they discovered that the Turks had otherwise taken a position with their left flank open to the desert.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sounds like an interesting little scrap.
Have fun
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Many thanks Michael

It certainly sounds a more interesting scrap than most of the battles at this time which seem to have involved the Indian troops walking slowly towards the dug in Turkish machine guns, some times wading through flood waters
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Plenty of clogging, clinging mud in the continuous rain as the battle came to an end.

The Relief of Kut was a project I was keen on doing way back when. I made conversions to use as Black Watch and Seaforth Highlanders. Those are the ones still on hold at Pendraken HQ. The project is still on hold for me as what would a Relief of Kut be to a Scotsman without Highlanders?

As you say, Sheikh Saad is also a consideration for a January '16 anniversary. Cavalry on both open flanks with fighting on both banks of the river.

paulr

Quote from: WeeWars on 12 December 2015, 09:32:10 PM
As you say, Sheikh Saad is also a consideration for a January '16 anniversary. Cavalry on both open flanks with fighting on both banks of the river.

The fighting on the right bank on 7 January looks interesting and a manageable size

28th Indian Brigade Major-General George Vero Kemball
  2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment
  51st Sikhs (Frontier Force)
  53rd Sikhs (Frontier Force)
  56th Punjabi Rifles (Frontier Force)
  62nd Punjabis (temporarily attached)

92nd Punjabis (in support)

With say one battery of 9th Brigade R.F.A and a Heavy battery firing off table

The Leicestershires and artillery would be Jolly Good Fellow and the Indians probably Havildar Heroes (particularly as they are fighting over the same ground as the day before)
Kemball seems to be a Harrow level commander

Ottoman 35th Division
  103rd Infantry Regiment (3 battalions)
  104th Infantry Regiment (3 battalions)

With say two batteries of 7,7cm in support and a company of MGs per regiment

The artillery would be Mehmetciks, the infantry would be a mix of Johnny Turk and Pasaha Bashers
Nureddin Pasha seems to be a Young Turk commander

Any input on the morale/command ratings or the scenario in general would be appreciated.

I hope the rest of the forum don't mind me developing a scenario in this thread.

WeeWars

You'll need Arab horsemen on that side of the river.

The Turks were Ozmanlis, well organised and led and, what was more important, they came flushed with success from their recent victory at Gallipoli.

The Turks had 4 guns south of the river.

Kemball seems to be a stolid subordinate as he was later unwilling to grab a cheap victory. Instead, sticking with the rigidity of the orders he'd been given.

The British soldiers stood up better to the extremes of the Mesopotamian conditions than the Indian troops and far fewer of them fell ill.

Forum members might be surprised to hear that although this is desert warfare, it was so cold at night that the Suwacha Marsh froze over. Many wounded died of exposure.

paulr

Thanks Michael, any idea how many Arab horsemen?

With the Turks that good I would rate them as Johnny Turk and use the 104th Infantry Regiment (3 battalions) and 105th Infantry Regiment (2 battalions).
I need to have a test game to see how hard it would be to push them out of their trenches if they are rated Mehmetciks.

Harrow sounds about right for Kemball.

Given the figures I have available I'm planning on using dismounted cavalry for the Punjabis which means they will only have three companies of three stands. The remaining Imperial battalions will be four companies of three stands. This will also reflect the casualties suffered on 6 January.

WeeWars

Quote from: paulr on 13 December 2015, 05:41:58 PM
Thanks Michael, any idea how many Arab horsemen?

I doubt even the Turks knew. These may be the guys the Turks feared the most when they got separated from their units. You might treat them less as a fighting force and more as an annoying presence on the flank. On my map, they appear to be doing a good job of funnelling the Imperial infantry towards the four Turkish guns. For spotting, though, they are placed to the rear of the Turkish cavalry - and CAMELRY. Turkish camelry? Yes, please, Pendraken. Or there is that camel rider I converted which would do just fine.  :'(

Quote from: paulr on 13 December 2015, 05:41:58 PM
Harrow sounds about right for Kemball.

I think you may be being too kind. It sounds like his juniors were far more inspired. But he may have been confident so long as he was carrying out his orders to the letter. He should have very little opportunity to divert from his orders.

paulr

Thanks again Michael

any chance of you posting the map :-[

Perhaps I could use a squadron of Turkish cavalry :-\

So Kemball should count as a "Lord Melchet" then :o That's going to make it hard to control 6 battalions ~X(

paulr

Yet another question, had the Imperial forces in Mesopotamia brigaded the machine guns by January 1916 or were they still assigned to the battalions?

paulr

Making good progress on the Sheikh Sa'ad scenario :)

I have found a copy of a sketch map of the battle and quite a bit of info :) :)

Any information on commanders of the Ottoman 35th Division, particularly 1 & 15 Regiments would be gratefully received

WeeWars

Quote from: paulr on 13 December 2015, 07:45:39 PM
Yet another question, had the Imperial forces in Mesopotamia brigaded the machine guns by January 1916 or were they still assigned to the battalions?

My guess is no. New tactics took time to reach the Middle East.

paulr

Thanks, give the shuffling of battalions between Brigades that makes sense.

WeeWars

WeeWars