First Falklands Game

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 12 December 2015, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 16 December 2015, 02:50:55 PM
Must be one of the most relevant 'hi-jacks' ever on the forum.
I think we can let you off, Sunray.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Ummm not at all sure about that.  What I can say is that since Corporate and Banner, there was a change of culture in the SAS, and in the type they selected, with a preference to those who had entered the service via Pegasus  Company.   

One "ungameable" aspect of the Falklands was the covert intelligence gathering and harassment action by SBS and SAS.   A lot of this was passive surveillance, however with D Squadron on Mount Kent for example, the Argentine forces were reduced to crapping in their dugouts as those who went to the latrine just disappeared into the night.   You can imagine the impact on unit morale.     

It can be argued that  with a preference for Para types, a lot of the stealth craft and covert mindedness was sacrificed for a more aggression orientated overt style that made the SAS a de facto extension of the Paras.  The backlash by those in the MoD who appreciated the need for a revival and renewal of discrete military black ops  capability  - as opposed to the Intelligence Services -  and driven by operational needs of 9/11,   was the SRR.   Its a proud unsung  lineage that goes back to the LRDG and the Det.

They are on the frontline keeping us all safe in the UK.  So spare a thought this Christmas for the men and women of the SRR.

paulr

Quote from: Sunray on 16 December 2015, 04:37:11 PM
Ummm not at all sure about that. 
They are on the frontline keeping us all safe in the UK.  So spare a thought this Christmas for the men and women of the SRR.

I agree with Techno, one of the most fascinating hijacks I've read :)

I will spare a thought for them, now I know they exist :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Gennorm

One of the points of a game is to inspire discussion; preferably in the pub afterwards. This forum will do until we find a pub. Good hijacking.

Nick

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Gennorm

Tawa

Quote from: Gennorm on 17 December 2015, 02:05:19 PM
I have now  ;D

Don't worry. That should wash out, eventually. That bit is probably edible, and I have no idea what that stain is!  :o
I take my hat off to our forces.

Loads of my mates are current/ex forces including a pair of Engineers, a pair of Paras (one a former Pathfinder), some marines, a medic, a tanky and one of "them". Oh, and a lass that was in the RN.
Her full job description was rather hilarious.....

The closest I got was being graded P7 on my medical  ;D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.