Langensalza Take 2 - a Bloody Big Battles AAR.

Started by Steve J, 16 December 2015, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Thank you.

I don't know why, but I always thought the rules needed big tables and lots of troops, thanks for showing that this is not true.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nice report!
Penguin soft backs are roughly 14mm if that helps!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

QuoteI don't know why, but I always thought the rules needed big tables and lots of troops, thanks for showing that this is not true.

Well they are designed for around 6'x4' tables and loads of troops Norm, but these smaller actions are perfect training games. For an evenings gaming, this is what you want really. It is also quite possible to take part of a larger action and simply fight that, which we plan to do in the new year.

QuotePenguin soft backs are roughly 14mm if that helps!

Thanks Lemmey. We have so many offcuts of stuff at work that I should be able to make a load of generic hills, with some of the larger ones cut to size for specific battles.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Beautifully done, thanks, Steve!

Norm: the whole point of "Bloody Big Battles!" is not to play "unfeasible huge wargames" but to make it possible to refight the important historical actions in a manageable way. The template aim is to fit every battle on a 6'x4' table and make it playable, typically by 4 players, in 3 or 4 hours. The very biggest games we've done need ~100 1" bases a side; the standard is about 50-70 a side. And because of popular demand from players, there are now quite a few smaller scenarios available ("Somewhat Small Scuffles", perhaps?) like the Langensalza one Steve's reported on: 4' x 4', ~20 or so bases a side, ideal for two players to play in 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Chris
Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve J

Our game took around 2 hours, so perfect for us to fit in an evening.

Leman

I am strongly drawn to Langensalza as a 2mm game.

Leman

Oh my, I am just drooling over that. Looks like a battle unfolding on a google earth picture - fantastic!

Steve J