Pictures needed for 1914 project

Started by Ace of Spades, 09 December 2015, 07:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace of Spades

Gentlemen,

For an upcoming '1914' project I want to start working on with some friends I'm looking for some pictures to see what we can do/adapt. We'll be working with rather large numbers (1:1) so adapting should be limited to a minimum if at all possible.
Well, what I'm looking for are pictures of the following:
- the whole Belgian series but especially the Frontier Guides (B3) and the artillery (B4) as I want to be sure it's the right gun for 1914; also the dress of the crew would be good to check,
- the early war French limber (F31); I especially want to see if the crews can be used for Belgian artillery; for limbers I'll probably use the German ones,
- the German dismounted Hussars (GP44) to see if I can use them as dismounted Belgian Guides with some adaptations to their headgear,
- the British heavy artillery crews (BP55) to see if they wear helmets or caps,
- everything else people might think interesting; especially dismounted cavalry figures for British, Belgians and Germans. If anybody knows of some dismounted lancers that could be used for Belgians and German Uhlanen that would be 
  excellent!

I hope some of you can help me out here. All help will be much appreciated and should generate some more articles and pictures on this forum in the, hopefully near, future!

Cheers,
Rob

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

If you ask for the British heavy artillery with crew in cap I am sure Leon will oblige.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Leman on 09 December 2015, 08:00:58 AM
If you ask for the British heavy artillery with crew in cap I am sure Leon will oblige.
Thanks for the reply Leman,
I'm sure that Leon would but what I wanted to know is whether the specific figures in set BP55 are in caps or helmets. We might want to use them as extra crew members for the guns or to get some variety but if they're wearing helmets they won't be much good for 1914.

Cheers,
Rob

Sunray

Its not my period of expertise,  but can I suggest the 1870s Franco-Prussian range. Would for example the PPW4 Prussian Hussar be useful ?  Was the Kolpak and Attila jacket  still in issue in 1914?

Leman

In 1914 the Prussian hussars still wore their 1870 uniform except it was now coloured field grey and the busby had a field grey cover, thus I am using the 1914 dismounted hussar for 1870. Unfortunately, depending on how picky you are, the German hussar jacket is a little longer than the Belgian guide jacket, and the German cavalry had a lot more belting for equipment than the Belgians.

Ace of Spades

Thanks for the reply Sunray!

I was thinking along that line too but unfortunately there are no dismounted figures in that range... Part of the cavalry would probably be very usefull; hussars, lancers, Chasseurs à cheval for Belgian Guides etc. but alas; no dismounted figures and the mounted figures are pretty well covered in the WW-1 range.

Cheers,
Rob

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Leman on 09 December 2015, 11:58:51 AM
In 1914 the Prussian hussars still wore their 1870 uniform except it was now coloured field grey and the busby had a field grey cover, thus I am using the 1914 dismounted hussar for 1870. Unfortunately, depending on how picky you are, the German hussar jacket is a little longer than the Belgian guide jacket, and the German cavalry had a lot more belting for equipment than the Belgians.

Correct indeed on the length of the jackets and the belts Leman, that's why I was looking for a picture of the dismounted German Hussars. Maybe I would be able to adapt them without too much hassle but since I don't know what they look like it's hard to say...

Cheers,
Rob

Leman

Well that was a bugger. Just spent 45 mins trying to get photos to load onto my computer. Usually does it automatically. Today no dice. Will try again later.

Ace of Spades

Thanks for the effort anyway Leman, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob

Leon

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 09 December 2015, 07:12:01 AM
- the early war French limber (F31); I especially want to see if the crews can be used for Belgian artillery; for limbers I'll probably use the German ones,

Early/late French limber crews on the right:

- the German dismounted Hussars (GP44) to see if I can use them as dismounted Belgian Guides with some adaptations to their headgear,

Dism. Hussars:

- the British heavy artillery crews (BP55) to see if they wear helmets or caps,

Heavy art crew:

- everything else people might think interesting; especially dismounted cavalry figures for British, Belgians and Germans. If anybody knows of some dismounted lancers that could be used for Belgians and German Uhlanen that would be 
  excellent!

German Dism. Dragoons:

French Dism. Dragoons:
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ace of Spades

Thanks Leon,

I see some very usefull stuff there! :D

Cheers,
Rob

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

Thanks Paul!

I've been looking through most threads but seem to have missed your first batch! (Nice to see that my picture of the Boer War British MG cart was so inspirational! ;))
Pictures are very clear and most helpful, apart from being beautifull of course!

Cheers,
Rob

Ace of Spades

Thanks for all the help folks!
The order has been despatched and we will be fielding two full companies of German infantry and a full company of Jäger, all with MG sections; two full 6-gun batteries with limbers for the Germans plus four full troops of cavalry both mounted and dismounted. If we hadn't split them up between Hussars and Dragoons we would have had a full squadron! Also have an extra troop of Uhlanen ordered, they are compulsory for 1914 I believe.
On the allied side we have a full 227 men British company with a full 6-gun battery of 18 pdrs. plus a 4,5"howitzer section, also all with limbers and five to six men crews. Add to that two troops of cavalry both mounted and dismounted, and an MG section for the infantry.
I decided to swap my intended Belgians for French; the fact that dismounted cavalry is readily available as are artillery limbers and the fact that the Belgians are apparently not in the early war shako's sealed their fate. A full 250 men French infantry company plus MG section, a 4-gun battery of 75'ers with limbers and two troops of Dragoons both mounted and dismounted will do the trick quite nicely!
To mess up all plans and good intentions I got some refugees with farmcarts, bicycles etc. but these will take some reworking/green stuff before they're all done.
Well, looks like I have something to do in 2016... :o

Cheers,
Rob

paulr

That will definitely keep you busy ;)

I look forward to seeing the results
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!