Italian AT and a remodelled T-34!

Started by Leon, 06 December 2015, 03:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Quote from: Dave on 07 December 2015, 09:13:38 AM
Another good reason for doing the T34 is so it can be converted to the Egyptian version with the 100mm and 122mm guns - strange looking vehicles!!!!
A T-34/122? That must be a bit nose-heavy!

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just don't try to fire when pointing uphill! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Steve J

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Is that really a 'proper tank' ?

Looks like the turret belongs to a much larger scale model.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

1960s Egyptian conversion from what I know!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Wulf

The turret looks like it was put together from spare parts.

Badly.

Ace of Spades

Well...technically it's not a tank but a Tank Destroyer. It looks like a bit like the Russian T34/122 but with added protection for the crew.
The top of the sides and rear of the turret could be lowered. Don't know whether that was to improve visibilty or atmospheric conditions for the crew. Knowing it's origin it could be that it was done to make it easier for the crew to surrender? :D (Sorry, couldn't resist it...)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I thought is was an SP gun for indirect  fire. When it was designed the Russians didn't have any of those
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Iirc without checking, the Russian t-34/122 was an SPG prototype/test bed whilst the Egyptian one was intended for AT work and didn't have the same elevation & indirect fire ability...

Supposed to turn unusable for modern combat t34 chassis into a really handy mobile AT platform to counter superior Israeli armour...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ace of Spades

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 December 2015, 10:47:10 AM
Iirc without checking, the Russian t-34/122 was an SPG prototype/test bed whilst the Egyptian one was intended for AT work and didn't have the same elevation & indirect fire ability...

Correct indeed Toxicpixie!

Cheers,
Rob

Ithoriel

I am under the impression that after protoyping a 122mm armed StuG (the SG-122) the Russians opted for an amalgamation of the 76.2mm armed U-34 and and the SG-122 to create the SU-122. This was an assault gun armed with a short-barrelled howitzer.

The ISU-122 replaced the SU-122 after a thousand or so of the latter had been built.

The howitzer wasn't very accurate (it was designed as  a bunker buster) but if it landed in the right place it would rip the turret off a Tiger.

The Egyptian version is an ad hoc mobile AT gun. A big ugly target but rather bigger teeth than the SU-122!

A 122mm armed StuG would be something to model! OK so there were only 10 and they probably never saw action but still ....

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ace of Spades

That's an interesting model too indeed!
Any more pictures anywhere?

Cheers,
Rob