Historical??

Started by Nosher, 03 December 2015, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

Has there been any more thought on this one?

I have a huge Zulu Wars Collection in 6mm which remain unloved in a cupboard, I'd dearly love to find the enthusiasm to paint these up but have never found a set of colonial wars rules that I really like other than The Sword and The Flame but I am buggered if I can be arsed rebasing, plus I want to fight big battles so TSATF doesn't really fit.

What makes life harder is that the collection is based for Principles of War which means the collection is very ad-hoc in its basing.

I'm wondering if Warband might lend itself to colonial gaming?

Magic could be done away with altogether, but it would be fun to have personality figures that could issue 'commands' not too dissimilar to the way in which magic works....

The British could be powerful shooters with native rifle armed troops being less effective in range. Artillery and cavalry could play 'as is' and Zulu's could be fierce warriors, some of which might be rated as impetuous.

With limited troop types, scenarios would need to be cleverly planned and naturally lots of broken ground could afford zulus cover whilst hampering the movement of the British. Rough ground could force the British to deploy in skirmish order, thus further reducing their firepower capability.

Am I just mad? :O)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Quote from: Nosher on 03 December 2015, 05:50:05 PM

I thought that was almost a prerequisite for this forum.  :D
Cheers - Phil

fred.

Interesting thought.

You could give the zulus one of the terrain benefits (hill walkers probably) to give them benefits when in cover - perhaps more to represent them sneaking?

Not sure warband would allow you to swap between closed order and skirmish order too easily.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Nosher

Quote from: fred. on 03 December 2015, 06:52:36 PM
You could give the zulus one of the terrain benefits (hill walkers probably) to give them benefits when in cover - perhaps more to represent them sneaking?

Not sure warband would allow you to swap between closed order and skirmish order too easily.

Like that idea ;)

Wasn't so much thinking that they would deploy differently but that there fire would be less effective when in rough ground representing them having to deploy in skirmish order because of the terrain (if that makes sense)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nosher

Quote from: Techno on 03 December 2015, 06:36:26 PM
I thought that was almost a prerequisite for this forum.  :D
Cheers - Phil

What's this almost bit ;D ;D ;D

Frank Carson

Techno

Well......There are a handful of our esteemed forum who appear to be relatively sane.  ;)
Cheers - Phil.

fsn

"appear", Techno, "appear".
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I am buggered if I can be arsed ....

Tell me that wasn't accidental!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chieftain

Has there been any more thought on this one?

I have a huge Zulu Wars Collection in 6mm which remain unloved in a cupboard, I'd dearly love to find the enthusiasm to paint these up but have never found a set of colonial wars rules that I really like other than The Sword and The Flame but I am buggered if I can be arsed rebasing, plus I want to fight big battles so TSATF doesn't really fit.

What makes life harder is that the collection is based for Principles of War which means the collection is very ad-hoc in its basing.

I'm wondering if Warband might lend itself to colonial gaming?

Magic could be done away with altogether, but it would be fun to have personality figures that could issue 'commands' not too dissimilar to the way in which magic works....

The British could be powerful shooters with native rifle armed troops being less effective in range. Artillery and cavalry could play 'as is' and Zulu's could be fierce warriors, some of which might be rated as impetuous.

With limited troop types, scenarios would need to be cleverly planned and naturally lots of broken ground could afford zulus cover whilst hampering the movement of the British. Rough ground could force the British to deploy in skirmish order, thus further reducing their firepower capability.

I heartily agree Nosher.

;)
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Nosher

Quote from: Chieftain on 04 December 2015, 10:42:38 AM
I heartily agree Nosher.

;)

That I am Mad :O)

OR

That you're writing historical rules as we speak..... :P

Frank Carson

Fenton

Quote from: fsn on 03 December 2015, 10:00:22 PM
"appear", Techno, "appear".

I hope your not feverishly rubbing something to make Phil appear in your living room
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

I'll swear someone is doing the rite of Ashkente.
I seem to keep getting dragged through the ether.

Cheers - The Bony Chap.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Fenton on 04 December 2015, 12:04:27 PM
I hope your not feverishly rubbing something to make Phil appear in your living room

;D ;D

Liked it!

How was it for you, fsn?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Fenton on 04 December 2015, 12:04:27 PM

You'd only get the viscous dogs....

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Oops! Sorry. Didn't realise I'd typed that.  :-[

Some things should be kept private.  :-[

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!