Blast from the past - old boardgame

Started by Aksu, 18 November 2015, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Found this in my bookshelf, lucky me as I have started painting LoA and WSS era figures. I received this game when I subscribed to the Wargamer back in early 80s. Those were the days... Painting plastic Airfix figures, Bruce Quarrie rules and stacks of AH, SPI and WWW games.

Cheers,
Aksu

NeilCFord

Nice!

I have a copy of Aces High somewhere, a game I have very fond memories of. Started my interest in WW1 aerial games. Magazine games have an awful lot to answer for.

- Neil

mollinary

And I have a copy of "Frederick the Great: The Campaigns of the Soldier-King, 1756-1763" published by AH in 1982. Apart from the solecism in the title it is a great game, beautifully thought out, and the perfect campaign system to base your battles on. In fact I have a friend who is keen to get a copy to enable us to campaign by correspondence, and then battle in person!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: mollinary on 18 November 2015, 06:17:13 PM
... "Frederick the Great: The Campaigns of the Soldier-King, 1756-1763" ... Apart from the solecism in the title it is a great game...

:-/ :-/ :-[

Where's that damn cat when you need him
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

My favourite is Blue Max. Still better than Wings of War
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Fenton

Love Blue Max. A friend did a beautiful conversion if it for WW2
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

I presume everyone has heard of Vassal for online boardgaming
http://www.vassalengine.org
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Aksu

Quote from: Nosher on 18 November 2015, 06:39:21 PM
My favourite is Blue Max. Still better than Wings of War
We used Canvas Eagles (i.e. Blue Max) to game out 1915-1918 in "real time" years ago using 1/72 planes. A couple of games a month I think over four years. More info, some pics and statistics at http://www.the-ancients.com/gemigabok/canvas-eagles-1915-1918/

Nosher

Many a night whiled away at the Wargames Club in the cellar of the OR's Mess in Detmold with a Yellow Handbag and good friends playing Blue Max.

Machine Gun and Screaming Aviation Engine noises were mandatory :)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

mollinary

Quote from: paulr on 18 November 2015, 06:24:28 PM
:-/ :-/ :-[

Where's that damn cat when you need him

Sorry, used this term rather loosely to mean an embarrassing error!  :-[  :-[  Perhaps a solecism of my own?  The Soldier King is the description usually applied to Frederick's father, Frederick William 1st, not to Frederick 2nd himself.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Ace of Aces was my first WW1 air game

Then Sopwith

Then on to tabletop gaming with 1:144th scale aircraft and rules by, iirc, Iain Holt and Jim Duncan at SESWC.

Sadly I have no pics of the latter. If there are any pics of those games I was involved in, chances are mine was the plane going down in flames :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Quote from: mollinary on 18 November 2015, 08:34:48 PM
Sorry, used this term rather loosely to mean an embarrassing error!  :-[  :-[  Perhaps a solecism of my own?  The Soldier King is the description usually applied to Frederick's father, Frederick William 1st, not to Frederick 2nd himself.

Mollinary

That makes more sense now & I've learnt something as well :) :D

paulr

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 November 2015, 08:39:41 PM

Then on to tabletop gaming with 1:144th scale aircraft and rules by, iirc, Iain Holt and Jim Duncan at SESWC.

Sadly I have no pics of the latter. If there are any pics of those games I was involved in, chances are mine was the plane going down in flames :)

Probably the best set of rules I have ever written, unfortunately I let Iain and Bill write bits of them so they are not truly mine. I am the only person with hard copies of them though.

I still have all the aircraft including Iains, some worse for wear. I think Bill took all his away to Ireland when he went.

We last played a few games of this just before Iain died so that would 2012 or so.

I will probably blog about them one day.

Here's a reminder.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/world-war-one-in-air.html

My Ego forbids a signature.

Ithoriel

I seem to remember a couple of games where I was in a blue Roland C-II two-seater running for the board edge with shattered struts, damaged ailerons and a dead rear-gunner. Not sure if that was at the club or at home. I had a copy of the rules and pin board sheets for the half-dozen planes I had so could have been either.

Great set of rules Jim, glad to hear they're still in use all these years on.

I remember you and Iain working on a set of 6mm WW2 rules that worked really well and which we played at SESWC too.

Happy days!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data