The FPW on BBC i-player

Started by Gennorm, 16 November 2015, 11:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gennorm

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

A bit disappointing and superficial.  Plus, the invention of a new French Ambassador to the Prussian King  (Bernadotten!! :o)  and the French declaring war on "Germany" in 1870.  Not the BBC at its best.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Keep meaning to start reading more about this conflict (especially after you guys provided me with a nice reading list some months back) but something else always seems to get in the way. So, had a listen and although not quite what I was expecting, for my purposes, it was a good intro. So, thanks for highlighting this Gennorm (and thanks to Mollinary too for pointing out the inaccuracies)!

Used "so" twice there. Hope I won't get into trouble with Leman.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Shedman

To give the BBC its due - well done for having a programme about the FPW

It would be interesting to know the percentage of Radio 4 listeners who had actually heard of the FPW prior to the broadcast

I wonder if they will ever do a dramatization of Zola's Debacle

Leman

That would make a terrific series. Have the French ever done it? I think I'd be able to manage without subtitles especially as I've read the book a couple of times.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Gennorm

It was good to paint to as are the 'In Out Time' back catalogue. The second one on Robbespierre was interesting too.
N

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

The trouble with Zola is finding a good translation. The (?) Tancock one for penguin Classics is utter pants, really bad. I've just finished the Penguin 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' and I have to say the translation is a bit thin in places also. Makes you really appreciate a genius like Mr Hoffman who's translation of Roth's 'The Radetzky March' is superb.
Been listening to the BBC's 'Zola' season but unconvinced, too much 'contemporary' colour, is it really Zola or what someone in Broadcasting House thinks Zola would be writing in 2016; generally disappointing - in contrast to the version they did of 'The Radetzky March' last year (not available on listen again  :'( >:( ) which was brilliant.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

KTravlos

I really wish either the authors estates, or someone with legal power did what they did for the Obrien BBC radio shows which you can find at the Dear Suprise website. I have no idea why BBC just does not at least sell or save the broadcasts.

cameronian

Given that the BBC is the ONLY player in this market it speaks volumes about the organisation in general.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

KTravlos