4Ground to make N Gauge scale railway buildings

Started by NeilCFord, 13 November 2015, 08:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilCFord

http://www.4trackmodels.co.uk

Not much their at the moment apart from an option to sign up for notifications, but they do have some OO scale building you can check out.

So potentially another source for those of us looking for AVBCW / Operation Sealion terrain.

- Neil.

toxicpixie

Jebus, is N Gauge railway scenery a way to print money?!

Saw some nice "pre-owned" rolling stock in the model shop yesterday, thought "oooo, handy!" and then noticed it was still £7 a carriage.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ace of Spades

I must say I'm not too fond of these laser cut buildings in general... Somehow I find them too neat I guess; it's all so damn straight; maybe 'lifeless' even...? Not sure how to describe it but it's not my thing really...  :-\
Anybody else feels the same or is it just me...?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Depends on the building, some look better 'neat' than others. I also find they look better under a (thick) coat of paint, gives them a bit of surface texture.

Techno

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 13 November 2015, 09:50:27 AM
I must say I'm not too fond of these laser cut buildings in general... Somehow I find them too neat I guess; it's all so damn straight; maybe 'lifeless' even...? Not sure how to describe it but it's not my thing really...  :-\

I think you're right, Rob.
Though it's obviously very subjective.
Some stuff just looks 'too clean & neat', and needs 'scruffing up' before it 'looks right' to go on the table.

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 13 November 2015, 09:50:27 AM

Cheers,
Rob

Yup I agree
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Westmarcher

13 November 2015, 01:54:02 PM #6 Last Edit: 13 November 2015, 01:59:05 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Techno on 13 November 2015, 01:37:16 PM
I think you're right, Rob.
Though it's obviously very subjective.
Some stuff just looks 'too clean & neat', and needs 'scruffing up' before it 'looks right' to go on the table.

Cheers - Phil

Know what you are saying guys - the lines are just a tad "too clean" (I'm not a fan of the dovetailed edges either). But, whether you use them straight from the packet or tart them up, they are a good option and a welcome addition to the hobby nevertheless. The bridge on Michael's (Wee Wars) blog (?) is a good example of taking the basic model and tarting it up.  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

WeeWars

Thanks, Westmarcher.

I do hope my MDF buildings aren't judged as lifeless.

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

old smokie

Your buildings are top notch Michael  :-bd  m/ not at all lifeless but an inspiration to us all, I have managed to assemble the buildings I bought from you in June this year just need to get round to painting them  :)

Fenton

No yours show how they should be done and not like they have been made out melamine coated plywood
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Quote from: WeeWars on 13 November 2015, 02:49:03 PM

Definitely NOT Michael !

Yours look 'real' as opposed to being 'clinical' models
(Hmmmm.....Clinical....  :-\ I think that's the word I'm looking for. :))
Hope that makes sense !  ;)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Quote from: Techno on 13 November 2015, 01:37:16 PM

Michael, yours is well and truly "scruffed" up ;)

The variation between your basic buildings also helps immensely
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Must admit that your tip about modelling paste works a dream and brings the buildings right up to the mark.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: WeeWars on 13 November 2015, 02:49:03 PM
Thanks, Westmarcher.

Certainly not Michael, but I think that's because of the extra work you put into it...
Just today took the time to browse through your project and it's definitely impressing; my compliments!

Cheers,
Rob