ACW wish list

Started by grimreaper, 03 September 2010, 09:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

I'm a nice retired chap and I'm far too busy trying to get to the bottom of my own lead pile.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

Gentlemen,

Even though the 'new' ACW line is quite extensive I would personally love some early war infantry units to be added; most can be done from troops in frockcoats (really knee length), both with and without fringed epaulettes. These troops would do fine in kepies for both sides, and one pose (like 'right shoulder sfhift') would do I guess. Another thing that would be nice for early war would be troops in shell jackets (or frock coats) wearing havelock kepies. Last but not least: troops in shirtsleeves/battleshirts wearing a variety of hats and kepies and different firearms for early war militia would also be great.
Maybe an artillery crew in frockcoats and kepies would also come in handy for both sides!

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

Yes some troops with mixed weapons inc shotguns  and hats for militia.  Perhaps  a pose or two  without weapons for gun crew. Putting on Hq bases etc
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

Some good suggestions for the early war there, and don't forget the early war would really benefit from a 6pdr gun model.

OzarkOrc

Just had a quick browse here after a long absence from the hobby; 

Please add my vote for the 6# Guns (if not already counted), almost all the artillery at my local battle (Pea Ridge) was 6# or rifled 6# Tubes.
Also useful for any Mexican American war range.

Leon

Has anyone got any dimensions for the 6pdr and how it compares to the other barrels?  We've got dozens of artillery pieces across our ranges now so there must be a barrel somewhere that be suitable for this.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Here you go Leon. Various gun barrels from Jack Coggins' book:

Barrel lengths are given as follows in inches:

6pdr               60
12pdr 1841     78
12pdr how.     53
24pdr how.     65
32pdr how.     75
12pdr Nap.     66

Hope this helps.

Leon

Excellent, cheers for that.  So if we estimate the 6pdr barrel at around 60 inches, then that's 152cm then that's a 10mm length at our scale.  I'll have a look and see if we've got anything with a rounded end on it.

OzarkOrc

IIRC, the muzzle swell is much less prominent;  Probably good to exaggerate in 10mm.  Maybe I will drive out to the Battlefield and see if I can score a picture of a real one.....

(Just had the Air Conditioning in my Truck repaired today, an essential even for a fifteen mile drive like that....)

OzarkOrc

Apologies, not at all like the illustrations in Coggins;  Well, the Profile is good, until you get to the muzzle swell.

My Scanning and linking skills are deficient;  Have posted (snail mail) a photocopie to Leon, extracted from "Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War" by Olmstead, Hazlet & Parks, 1988.

The book has an enormous amount of technical and contract data on the manufacturers, many pictures of preserved weapons in the battlefield parks.

All wheels were a standard 57 inch diameter; (144.78 cm), for what it's worth.  Discussion on how all the carriages in the parks (NBP, "National Battlefield Parks") are cast iron replicas, because the original wood rotted.

That's 60" from the chase to the muzzle, not including the cascabel.

Leon

Quote from: OzarkOrc on 23 June 2018, 07:22:41 PM
Have posted (snail mail) a photocopie to Leon, extracted from "Field Artillery Weapons of the Civil War" by Olmstead, Hazlet & Parks, 1988.

The book has an enormous amount of technical and contract data on the manufacturers, many pictures of preserved weapons in the battlefield parks.

All wheels were a standard 57 inch diameter; (144.78 cm), for what it's worth.  Discussion on how all the carriages in the parks (NBP, "National Battlefield Parks") are cast iron replicas, because the original wood rotted.

That's 60" from the chase to the muzzle, not including the cascabel.

Excellent, thanks for that!

OzarkOrc

Still poking around about the 6# ACW gun, what is really interesting is how convergent the Napoleonic ("Canon de 6 systeme An XI") and British "Light 6#" from the Peninsula and Waterloo are with the M1841;  All about the same weight and length. 

And the Napoleonic Glorification (Substitute for my standard Nazi Glorification rant);  Wikipedia has data on the French Systems (Gribeuval, etc); What was the nature of the (Captured) Austrian and Prussian 6# guns?

If there is a (British) 6# Napoleonic Gun on a Stock Trail Carriage, it is probably close enough for this scale.

I have a partial photocopy of a "Parks Canada" report on (their) artillery resources, discussing in passing the "Light 6#" and their holdings;  Both it and the 9# were cast up until 1862(?), presumably drawing on research at Woolwiich?  Apologies, at the local library, article not in front of me.

Dr Dave

Each formation from Brigade up carried a command flag that accompanied the general - these are often quite decorative affairs and add a splash of the unusual in a blue / grey world.

Could you do a pack of mounted "lancers" for either added command units OR the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry - "Rush's Lancers".

OR forget the lancers and add them to the Generals / command packs - and put the Price up!?

parkerm17

The ACW was the first "railway war" and no-one makes anything by way of locomotives and rolling stock in 10mm (N Gauge if you like).   The are just four things: a locomotive, a tender, a freight car and perhaps a passenger car: is there any chance?   I have been in touch with wargaming friends in the US and they cannot help