Sun King's Regiment Lorraine painted

Started by Aksu, 07 November 2015, 10:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hullo,
Finished my first 17/18th century project. The figs are LOA6, matchlockmen marching. I have to say painting the LoA range is a joy. Next regiment will be something in colourful coats!

Cheers,
Aksu

jambo1

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

vonlacy

Redstef

Beautifully done sir  =D>
What rules are you using
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

Glorfindel

Magnificent.   Well done.

I particularly like the flags and consistency of quality.

Can I ask how you achieved the grey colour ?   Did you paint over a black
undercoat ?

The reason I ask is that, when I have finished my current Prussian SYW
project, I will be starting a French army to face them.   Lots of grey !
In preparation, I'm looking at different ways to achieve this on the required
scale.   The first attempt is white undercoat with badab black wash and
then highlight up.

Again, well done on the superb painting.

Phil

Steve J

Wow, they look superb 8). Hard to believe they are 10mm.

Rob

Lovely. I am constantly tempted by the figures in this range. I like the balance you have achieved with basing not being overstated and distracting the eye form the figures and the figure spacing on the bases, not too wide and not too close.

Brilliant.  :)

Techno

Aksu

07 November 2015, 02:17:53 PM #10 Last Edit: 07 November 2015, 02:22:39 PM by Aksu
Hullo,
Thank you all for the positive comments. I based these for Maurice, i.e. four square bases per regiment. The way I placed the colour party across two bases allows me to use them also as 2 x 2-base regiment for other systems. It took me a while to figure out how many figs to use, I finally thought that four abreast on a 30 mm base looks just about tight enough in my eyes. I base my Longstreet ACW five abreast on 30 mm, but in a single rank. Anyway, as I am (again) the only one in our club painting the figures, it probably takes at least six months before I get to play with these figures :/
Paints: Nowadays I try to prime in the main uniform colour. In these I used Vallejo Surface Primer USN Light Ghost (70.615) as the basecoat (brushed on). I then painted the coat bits with Vallejo Medium Sea Grey (870) to make sure there is no metallic sheen. All the other base colours were block painted as well. I then used Army painter warpaints dark tone ink on the whole figure. I then painted highlights. I had hoped one highlight would be enough, for they grey coat I used a mix of white and the medium sea grey. Unfortunately my first highlight was not light enough, so I ended up mixing a lighter shade and doing a second highlight pass for the coat.
That was basically it. I painted the entire regiment of 32 figs at one go for each colour. I did end up using Vallejo Sepia Wash on the skin after basing the regiment, as the chaps looked a bit too pale. I did not bother highlighting the faces, or painting Ts and Us or anything, as the beautiful sculpts worked just fine with the wash in my opinion. I also did a final light green higlight pass on the cuffs.
And yes, I know there should be pikemen in there, but I did not have the figs and the French did sometimes discard their pikes in favour of muskets according to Osprey 203.
Cheers,
Aksu

Glorfindel

Aksu,

Thank you for the extra info.   This is much appreciated and gives lots of
food for thought.

I bought several packs of the LOA figures before starting a SYW project
and have to agree that they really are exceptional.   I'm looking forward
to painting them up in due course.

>>It took me a while to figure out how many figs to use..

Worth taking the time to do this properly though, particularly bearing in
mind how much time and cash will be spent on a typical army.   I am
planning a LOA Dutch army for the future (more grey !) and used Robert
Hall's superb CD to work out the right proportion of muskets / pikes /
officers etc.

Very best of luck with the project and I'm sure everyone will appreciate
some more pics when the next unit is finished.   The first Battalion of
Frenchies is inspirational.

Cheers,

Phil

Subedai

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Chad

Aksu

Where did you find the uniform information? Mark Allen's series in Wargames Illustrated gives different facings and the drummer in 'livree du roi'

Chad

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner