Kite shields.

Started by Techno, 02 November 2015, 09:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Just been watching an old TV show about Agincourt. (Only saw the last third, or so)

One of the reenactors was portraying one of Henry's brothers...(I think.)
What puzzled me was the way he was holding his shield.

It was, what I hope I describe correctly as, a small, flat top kite shield.
When he held it across his chest, 'the point' was at right angles to what I would have expected to see.
(It was pointing to the chap's right, rather than at the ground.)

Does that sound correct ?
I'd always assumed that this type of shield 'pointed down' when used as protection.
Did their use vary ?

Cheers - Phil

Genom

I do early medieval reenactment as well as wargaming (Yeah I picked 2 nice and cheap hobbies!)  But I've seen heater shields used both ways. The way most people think about is that the forearm is strapped so that it's parallel to the top of the shield (or more usually at a 20-30 degree angle so that the hand is higher than the elbow. I do know others however who much prefer using it so that their arm is strapped at right angles to the flat top of the shield. It allows them a bit of extra close quarters ability as they can punch with the pointy bottom end of the shield and it gives you a better reach for covering your legs from attack than the more traditional option.

All that said, it's only useful in that manner when you're fighting on your own, the other option is much better when you have your mates around you.

Techno

Thanks, Genom ! :-bd

Right.....So that's called a 'heater'.  :)
From the size of the one the chap was using, it looked eminently suitable to be used to punch an opponent, as it appeared to be very maneuverable.
Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

At a couple of points in this there's a few shots of someone with a heater held as you describe and they appear to be used as a "punching dagger" & a "parrying dagger" as opposed to a "blocking shield" - knock the blow away using its own force, then stab forward and ram it into the opponents face...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTi-NGQNh8

Note, that's a really good documentary that Ithoriel posted, so thank him not me for an interesting 90mins watching :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

I have always assumed it is called a heater shield because it resembles the base of an iron.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!