a sprue of small arms ?

Started by Sunray, 30 October 2015, 03:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

One for Techno -  I spend a while last night detaching a Minfigs figure's assault rifle  from his hand, and after a wee rub with sandpaper, suoergluing it to a  WW2 German.

Is 1/150 too fiddly to sculpt and cast a sprue  or two of small arms ?  Forget SMGs - rifles , LMGs, GPMGs, RPG7 [ done a few of those using the VC figure] etc

Techno

Technically, no......
But you'll need to ask the bosses about those.  ;)

Ironically, I'm about to sprue up some bits for the Dragon Men.....Mainly for my own use, to speed things up....But Leon may well be able to use those as accessories, if he wants.

Cheers - Phil

Sean67

Surely it would also be good to have a spruce of small arms Weapons"
These would compliment the various boxes and sacks for fillers for trucks and wagons.
That way no figures need to be harmed in customising new figures.
Regards
Sean

Ithoriel

The problem might be what to include on it.

I'd be interested in Mid-WW2 Eastern Front stuff but nothing else, others would have their own preferred theatre and period, could get to be a rather big sprue :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

It comes down to period.  A generic bolt action rifle , a generic SLR -  (FN or H&K), the AK 47 and things like M20, 90mm Bazooka was on my list, reflecting post war interest and the gaps in the market where the rest of the kit is WW2.

Actually no - possibly WW1 as well -  a mate phoned me last to say he discovered some n gauge "post men'  - peaked caps on bicycles and asked me if I could issue them with rifles.  I asked him to find the donor figures.   Unlike bigger scales and plastics the fragile nature of the small arms mean that most 10mm figures are cast with the weapons  "close to their chests" or buried in armpits.

Techno

One other 'problem' is, how big would they need to be 'to look right' ?
The same size to fit a 10mm model, I assume ?

I only ask this, as we poor designers have to 'cheat' to make the weapon look right on the model, by 'stretching' items like SLRs.
The thinnest 'rod' we can use tends to be 0.5mm, to give Dave any sort of chance of getting it out of the mould. (And with that, we can't use lengths of much more than 2mm proud of the model, 'cos they'll just snap off.)

As plastic models tend to be 'finer', 'guns' that look right on a metal 10mm figure, would tend to look overlarge on these.

Just as a matter of interest...On a SLR, how big is the diameter of the barrel ?........Very roughly 1cm ?

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Have you not get a 3d printer to whip up some small stuff?

:P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I couldn't afford one of the 'cheap' (HAH!) ones, Nobby.
Let alone be bothered to learn how to use it.  X_X  ;)
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Aw! I'd love to have one!

Be terribly expensive for mass production, but be great for printing small numbers of things like, say weapons racks, or personality figures. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

In re
Quote from: Techno on 31 October 2015, 07:53:34 AM
One other 'problem' is, how big would they need to be 'to look right' ?
The same size to fit a 10mm model, I assume ?

I only ask this, as we poor designers have to 'cheat' to make the weapon look right on the model, by 'stretching' items like SLRs.
The thinnest 'rod' we can use tends to be 0.5mm, to give Dave any sort of chance of getting it out of the mould. (And with that, we can't use lengths of much more than 2mm proud of the model, 'cos they'll just snap off.)

As plastic models tend to be 'finer', 'guns' that look right on a metal 10mm figure, would tend to look overlarge on these.

Just as a matter of interest...On a SLR, how big is the diameter of the barrel ?........Very roughly 1cm ?

Cheers - Phil

Point well made Phil - to be honest, chunky WW2 rifles are probably the easiest to "correct2 scale.  In 1:1 the SLR (or FN) takes a 7.62mm round but in the barrel that just measures to the lands of the rifling. So say 7.82 mm bore plus barrel width say another 5mm each side = 1.78 cm ? and a slight bulge (2mm) at the muzzle for the British version flash eliminator.  

Orcs

Every time I read the title to this thread I think - "A sprue of  dis-embodied arms for Dwarves, Gnomes and Hobbits!" Am I the only one mad enough to think this
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 31 October 2015, 06:37:22 PM
Am I the only one mad enough to think this

I'll take the fifth.  ;)
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Stopped drinking alcohol then Lemmy.....and I think Phil should be using the modified 4th. Assuming we is refereeing to the much abused US constitution.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 31 October 2015, 06:37:22 PM
Every time I read the title to this thread I think - "A sprue of  dis-embodied arms for Dwarves, Gnomes and Hobbits!" Am I the only one mad enough to think this

No, its not mad, its inspired.  The transfer of the limps is a practical option for figure conversion in 1/150.   I have grafted legs to a WW1 motorbike rider to create an aviator.

I have cut an arm with a pistol from a minifigs officer, and grafted it to a Faller civilian in a trench coat to create a spook type character.

I am currently cutting legs of WW1 British and grafting on modern legs.  = AVBCW police.

I would like to hear Phil's observations on the sculpting a right arm with the weapon -  Can be fashioned tucked into the armpit and thus a lot less fragile in a way that looks natural?  The host shoulder can be cut and filed to receive the limb.