Hey All, Greetings from Colorado

Started by 3AcresAndATau, 29 October 2015, 03:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3AcresAndATau

Hi,
I'm new here, as you may have guessed  :P .  I've been wargaming a good 4 years or so, and a casual and amateur historian most of my life, but only recently have I started to go beyond skirmish games.  Always been something of a Fantasy and SF oriented player, but things are starting to diversify a little, diversity being the operative word, something that up and coming 1k points of Empire for Warmaster (using mostly unbought Pendrakens) really needs you to know.  The hope is that I can do a couple bigger projects before college comes along and launches me into a wargaming dryspell next fall  :/  .  But hey, learning's good.  :-bd .  And for now, I need somebody to help pick a pikemen code...

In any case, it's nice to finally be able to chime in on the conversation here rather than just read along, looks like a forum full of pleasant folks.  See you all around!
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good-Rom 12:21

Our flag is proudly floating o'er the land and o'er the main, shout, shout, the battle cry of freedom...

My 10mm Projects, current and planned: -Warmaster Fantasy- -American Revolution- -Dux Bellorum-

Leon

Hi 3AcresAndATau, welcome to the Forum!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Welcome from me as well, '3'. :-h
They're a particularly friendly and informative bunch here......With complete bursts of lunacy, from time to time. ;)
Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mutters of bloody foreigners, cant even spell proper english from stage left.

Welcome

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Firstly, you're going to have to explain that name.

Secondly, welcome.

Thirdly, college doesn't have to be a wargaming dry spell. All you need are a few figures, couple of bits of scenery. I had a very enjoyable "travel kit" of Western skirmish figures, collapsible adobe buildings and rule set which fitted into something the size of a sandwich box. Accidently threw it out along with my complete set of "Once Upon a Time in the West", plus supplements when moving house. Innovate! Be creative! That's what we warmers do!

Fourthly ... nope. Nothing. I should probably have finished after three. Three is, as they say, the magic number ... but it's also a crowd. Unless you're certain members of this forum in which case it's a usual Saturday night. Americans seem to love the number ... always going on about their "three-dom", and it being "the land of the three". Three whats? That's what I want to know.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

A warm and hearty 'Howdy!'

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Hi 3A and welcome to the forum. It depends what type of pikemen you are looking for. In the Renaissance section, the pikemen in the Lansknecht range, LAN 1,  are  in two poses, both pike vertical. One has traditional tight slashed clothing with a feathered bonnet, the other has a brimmed, tallish hat and a mail overshirt. In the English/Scots range, also part of the Renaissance, there are a number of pikemen codes. ER 5 is Scottish with shorter pike. There are 3 poses, two in plate armour with the pike at about 45 degrees and the third in much lighter dress with a Scots bonnet and pike vertical. ER 6 is a front rank Scots pikeman in up to date plate armour, for 1513, leaning forward behind a large grounded pavise with pike out front. ER 9 is similar to ER 5 but with longer pike. ER 10, European Pikemen, are again in three poses and wear open faced sallet helmets. Two are leaning forward with the pike braced to the ground. These are wearing light armour, including short tassets, and one has a small amount of slashing to the clothing. The third is pike upright wearing a padded jack. ER 13 are front rank pikemen with pavise, again three poses. All are helmeted and wearing skirted tunics over light armour. One has his pike almost horizontal with the pavise slung on his back. The second has his pavise grounded in front of him. The third again has the pike almost horizontal, but where the pavise is is unclear. He may not have one. The codes ER 22, 24 and 27 would all make excellent pike commands. In the late Medieval range ELM 9 has three pikemen in plate armour with the pike held at various degrees so that they can be ranked one behind the other. ELM 35 provides unarmoured pikemen for filling the back ranks. Hope this helps. Originally I used some of the medieval pike in a Warmaster Empire army, but this has since morphed into a Great Italian Wars army, with the other figures mentioned also making an appearance.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Tawa

Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: fsn on 29 October 2015, 08:09:26 AM
Firstly, you're going to have to explain that name.

So, first up, I presume the name is a play on "three acres and a cow" - a slogan used by British land reform campaigners in the late 1800s, revived by the distributists of the 1920s. It refers to an ideal land holding for every citizen. Not a credo I agree with but each to their own!

The Tau are a race from GW's sci-fi background or were last time I played their stuff; they're arsing around with the backgrounds at the moment, in an effort to sell more stuff, so who knows.

With that cleared up, hi 3Acres and welcome to the forum.

I've suggested in another thread that if people are looking for alternatives to GW Halberdiers the Jedburgh Stavemen in the new Flodden range are well worth a look. Otherwise Leman's post about pikemen covers things well.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Well, aren't you a clever Ithoriel?

Thank you. It was the Tau bit that escaped me. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

29 October 2015, 01:49:57 PM #14 Last Edit: 29 October 2015, 01:51:51 PM by Fenton
Of course it could refer to the fact that the Tau's main enemy has 3 testicles

And welcome to the forum as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!