League of Augsburg

Started by steamingdave, 26 October 2015, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clibinarium

SYW limbers come in two types I think, one with a chest, Austrian style;

Or without, Prussian style;

There aren't any limbers or moving gunners in the LoA range because in this period guns were very rarely moved on the battlefield as they were too heavy and the equipment not yet good enough to move them fast enough to redeploy. There may have been exceptions but it was rare.

Dragoon mounts and holders are on the workbench.
Extra command figures, eg openhanded ensigns are under consideration.
The dismounted vignette; that was just a little bonus, the idea is that the mounted man has ridden up to a pair of officers on foot.

oldblindjohn

I believe the Swedes were the exception.
Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Westmarcher

Good photos of very nicely painted miniatures (as usual), Leman and Clib.  :-bd

For SYW, I tend to mix Pendraken's "Prussian" "A" frame and Pendraken's "Austrian" box limbers in both my Austrian and Prussian armies. This is because the Kronoskaf website goes into some detail on Prussian box limbers which, if you refer to the link below, are very similar to the "Austrian" box limbers marketed by Pendraken. Kronoskaf also lends weight to your observation, Leman, that the box limbers are probably too late for the LoA / 9 Years War as it states that the Prussian ones were only introduced in 1742. I am currently unable to find any resource giving details on the box limber design used by Pendraken for its "Austrian" SYW limbers (I thought I had come across something somewhere in the past - or maybe I'm just imagining that). Anyway, with regard to your Austrian limbers, Clib, I originally painted my own in a similar fashion. However, I was never fully happy with this thinking rain and bad weather must surely have been a problem as far as keeping powder dry is concerned. Then, when I came across Kronoskaf's Prussian limber, I found out that the lids on the ammo boxes were covered by cloth suitably waterproofed. A quick paint job with a very dark grey and now all of my box limbers (Prussian or Austrian) are 'rain proofed.' 

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=File:Prussian_M1768_Limber.jpg

It therefore appears that an "A" frame type limber may be the way to go for Pendraken's LoA range. My only reservation is that I'm not sure when draught horses started to be linked more commonly in pairs than in tandem.  Couldn't find a limber on the Blenheim tapestries but there is one with a "Marlbrouk," a Marlburian supply wagon which is being pulled by two horses in tandem so, with this being slightly later than the LoA, would it be more likely that artillery would also be pulled by horses in tandem in that period? I don't know.

Link for the "Marlbrouk" - http://www.historyextra.com/blenheim
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

I had fun trying to work out why the Prussian SYW artillery came without box limbers and discovered that box limbers were introduced for battalion guns, but that battery guns continued to use the A frame limber plus an ammo wagon.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Grenadier

I just popped off an order for these delightful sculpts to begin my Skane War project (I had to swallow hard when I saw the postage :'().  Anyhoo, I would surely like to see the addition of "casualties", "limbers" and "wagons" to fill out the range.

Leman

There are some really nice wagons, and a general's coach, as well as some civilians, in the SYW Miscellaneous range. There are some very nice casualty figures in the AWI range most of which can be used in the SYW. These come with separate headgear, such as fusilier and grenadier caps as well as tricorns, which can be placed next to the wounded figure. I am painting some of these up and placing them on small bases with a dice frame for use with my Honours of War armies.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Grenadier

I saw those listed but no pics and I am hoping for a dedicated set for LoA.  The AWI casualties is a nice set but isn't appropriate for the 17th century.  I guess I could take a whack at converting them and casting up in resin...
In general, are we to expect any more offerings to the LoA range?

mollinary

Perhaps some of the ECW casualties might work for you?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Grenadier on 01 July 2016, 02:15:49 PM
In general, are we to expect any more offerings to the LoA range?

There's not much planned at this stage, although something small like casualties could be something we can squeeze in somewhere.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Grenadier

Leon,
Not to bribe you, but, my order was just the Danes... ;)

urbancohort

If you were ever looking to expand this range again it would be nice to see some grenadiers in 'fighting' poses and maybe kneeling and shooting? Some advancing with plug bayonets? Some pikemen in helmet and cuirass standing?
Personally I would also like to see some Monmouth rebels but can make do adapting what you have.
Some British cavalry with tri-bar helmets would be lovely, with and without cuirass?
Keep up the great work guys. Think I have now sampled nearly all your LOA products and they are top notch.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

maciek

Any chance to see LoA casualties ?
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

No plans at the moment, I'll have to chat with Clib's and see if those are on the schedule.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!