Mordheim /Frostgrave

Started by Bloodaxe, 06 October 2015, 03:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodaxe

Ive played Mordheim and been a big fan. Its a fun skirmish game with small bands of adventurers 5-15 or so members.

Now a new game is gaining popularity- Frostgrave.

These kind of games might be fun/cheap/easy to play in smaller scales.  Maybe Pendraken can make packs of warbands- 10-20 different types of figures in a pack.  Card/paper buildings could be printed out for cheap terrain.

Vampire, Necromancer, a few Skellies, Zombies, Thralls.

Wizard, Warrior, Thief, a few mercenaries.

Dwarf warband.

etc, etc.

Genom

We've been playing this in 28mm a fair bit recently and although you don't need much for your warband itself, you do need a lot of scenery and a range of monsters to use.

fred.

I think if you were to play Frostgrave in 10mm, you would probably want to simplify your gang quite a bit, and have a few henchmen of each type, rather than a mixture. Otherwise I think you would end up very confused over which figures are which.

There probably aren't enough good wizard figures in the current Pendraken ranges - but if you have GW Warmaster figures then there are loads of good wizards in the command packs.

It would be a good way of using existing terrain - or easily making new terrain. Plus getting lots of monsters would be much quicker and cheaper.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

capthugeca

I'm glad that I'm not the only one wondering about Frostgrave in 10mm. Doing it in that scale should allow me to create and (more importantly) store all the scenery and afford all the necessary monsters and troop types.
I've got some of the Warband mages, shamans (or is that shamen?) on order at present to see if I can knock up a variety of wizards with a bit of converting and Procreate.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

fred.

The new Warband wizard / shamen packs would be great for this.

Don't know why I didn't think of this - especially as I have just painted the Dwarven pack, and have the Minotaurs sat in front of me ready to go.

:-/ :-/ =P~
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Bloodaxe

Quote from: Genom on 06 October 2015, 07:13:17 PM
We've been playing this in 28mm a fair bit recently and although you don't need much for your warband itself, you do need a lot of scenery and a range of monsters to use.

I'm not saying it's expensive,  as wargames go, but it's probably over $100. A warband or two, the rulebook, treasure counters,  monsters, terrain.

You can cut costs. Cardboard terrain, maybe even card heroes & monsters. I prefer miniatures,  so I thought smaller would cut costs.

Warbands are only maximum 10 models each, so not that hard to keep track. If it is, label the bases or something.

Model selection may be a problem.  Also buying a pack or two with enough variety in it.

toxicpixie

It's not massively expensive in 28mm if you're prepared to knock terrain up yourself. Even cheaper if you can reuse all the old Hammer, D&D and other games worth of hundreds of figures you've lying around ;) That said going ten mill will make it very cheap - and I do like the look of small scale skirmish - it makes the ground scale look better!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bloodaxe

Dave Graffam has some really cool paper terrain- adjustable to 15mm.

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Bloodaxe

Quote from: toxicpixie on 09 October 2015, 08:48:25 AM
That would do nicely!

He has a bunch of other fantasy buildings whole and ruined. Different skins and sizeable.  Neat stuff.

Ithoriel

10 October 2015, 03:11:35 AM #11 Last Edit: 10 October 2015, 03:15:25 AM by Ithoriel
Battlesystems did a Kickstarter for both fantasy and sci-fi terrain that looked ideal for Mordheim/ Frostgrave or Necromunda in 28mm

The DLC stuff looks tasty and not too pricey but is print out and then DIY. I suspect that might mean it could be shrunk to 10mm scale but I'm just guessing.

Kickstarter Fantasy

Sci-Fi DLC
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data