Dipping a toe into the Dark Side.

Started by Westmarcher, 02 October 2015, 01:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Well, couldn't resist and put cossacks on. Still fun  :P

Yes hussars, and those cossacks you can get for cheap from the diplomatic centre  :D

Westmarcher

Jealous! Liked the formations as well. Also the only game I've seen in which, arguably, a 'war crime' was committed! One time, during the mayhem of a raid by the enemy, I looked down at a corner of the screen and saw a morion wearing musketeer shoot down an unarmed priest who was in the process of blessing him (or someone else)!  :o    :o
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Last Hussar

Weren't preists used to convert the enemy though?  Hardly an innocent civvie!

I have the Orginal Combat Mission: Beyond overlord, which I (re)bought from Good Old Games - GOG does modern windows friendly conversions of old games, such as CM:BO and XCOM Enemy Unknown.

The orginal CM:BO is purely turn based, and can be against AI, LAN, Email or Hotseat. Also they purposly made all the graphics .bmp and all the sound .wav so people can easily drop their own mods in- later releases came with a cd full of replacement bmp and wav made by modders.  When they were younger my kids loved messing around with the scenario maker just to make maps.

Played CM over the home hub with #1 son. He couldn't destroy my Sherman, and every time a team took a shot and bounce/missed, it would turn on them.  I shouted up the stairs "Stop shooting the big metal box, all you're doing is annoying it."

Your own troops have AI, and will sometimes ignore orders to engage what they see as a bigger threat
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

petercooman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 04 October 2015, 10:09:53 AM
Jealous! Liked the formations as well. Also the only game I've seen in which, arguably, a 'war crime' was committed! One time, during the mayhem of a raid by the enemy, I looked down at a corner of the screen and saw a morion wearing musketeer shoot down an unarmed priest who was in the process of blessing him (or someone else)!  :o    :o

I must admit that i run a newer version of windows too, that doesn't support the game (windows 7), but there was an easy fix to be found on the net, and it works flawless.

What version of windows are you using? maybe you can fix it!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 October 2015, 10:36:23 AM
Played CM over the home hub with #1 son. He couldn't destroy my Sherman, and every time a team took a shot and bounce/missed, it would turn on them.  I shouted up the stairs "Stop shooting the big metal box, all you're doing is annoying it."

;D ;D

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 October 2015, 10:36:23 AM
Weren't preists used to convert the enemy though?  Hardly an innocent civvie!

The priests in Cossacks could convert people? I thought all they had was healing powers.  #-o

Quote from: petercooman on 04 October 2015, 12:28:46 PM
I must admit that i run a newer version of windows too, that doesn't support the game (windows 7), but there was an easy fix to be found on the net, and it works flawless.

What version of windows are you using? maybe you can fix it!

Long story. Because I used PC's in work, I was a PC 'fan.' My wife worked in education and was a Mac 'fan.' When our old PC died, she won the argument and we got a Mac. She couldn't do certain things on the Mac and then started to see the benefits of a PC so when she retired, she bought a cheap laptop PC to use for her part-time job as a union rep. She's a sweetie but I sense she's not keen on me using her PC laptop (but I managed to negotiate downloading the Combat Mission demos) so, the idea of 'mucking about' with her computer so that I have a further excuse to waste enrich my life away is meeting some 'resistance.' The laptop supports Windows 8.

Having said that, I carried out a preliminary reconnaissance earlier in the year and came up with this.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-run-older-programs-under-windows-8.html
But haven't pursued this further .... yet! :d :d
Was your 'solution' similarly sourced?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

petercooman

Nope, youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdxEXCdLWA

:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d

I did research it first though, but the video on youtube just shows it best.

petercooman

By the way, i just popped the cossack disk back in.

And if my wife says something about it, i'm blaming you!!

Westmarcher

Quote from: petercooman on 04 October 2015, 07:39:34 PM
By the way, i just popped the cossack disk back in.

And if my wife says something about it, i'm blaming you!!
;D ;D
Blame me if it helps.

[btw, is your wife a scary woman?]  :-S

petercooman

Not really! And very tolerant,since she can put up with me  ;D ;D ;D

bigjackmac

I'm not watching the videos, I have too much to paint, base, game, and write-up!

Having said that, I did download Battle Academy; not my thing...

V/R,
Jack

Techno

I'll stick to Call Of Duty on the PSP. (Only a FPS game, though.)

Like that lots...Though I haven't played it for ages.
Like all the 'missions' except the 'being a gunner' on a bomber.....Can barely hit a blanking thing on that one.
Only finished that one once, and I used so much ammo I didn't get an award.  :'(

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Well shooting a moving thing from another moving thing tends to be difficult i think  :o

Tawa

I always thought Close Combat: Invasion Normandy was the best of the series :)
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.

petercooman

Quote from: Tawa on 05 October 2015, 07:31:15 PM
I always thought Close Combat: Invasion Normandy was the best of the series :)

Was that the one where you could pop coloured smoke on a target and watch the navy blast it to bits (in one of the beach fights)?

bigjackmac

Yeah, I think CC Normandy was the first one you could call in air strikes too.

Man those were fun!  My father and I used to play head-to head via the internet, so many tense battles, and the campaigns were fantastic.

I think now that that is where I got a lot of my ideas on how to run campaigns on my tabletop; I was always sneaking into the 'stats' pages to see how many kills a guy/team/vehicle had rung up, who had gotten what medals, etc... 

It's certainly a lot cheaper than miniatures gaming ;)

V/R,
Jack