Master list for new WWII Polish range - Add your input!

Started by Leon, 26 September 2015, 01:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

We started work on some WWII Polish vehicles a short while ago, so we thought it was about time we got the rest of the range planned out and passed onto the sculptors.  Thanks to SteveJ, we've got a solid list of what basics / additional items are needed, so we're putting this up for everyone to have a look at.  If there's anything you think is missing, let us know and we'll see if we can add it on!

Core items
Infantry
Riflemen - 2 poses  - Armed with the wz.98 carbine, a copy of the German Mauser model 98 but with a shorter barrel.
LMG - The squad automatic weapon was the RKM wz.28, a copy of the American Browning Automatic Rifle.
Anti-tank Rifle - the KB ppanc wz.35 'Ur'. Kept secret at the start, never-the-less an important weapon as it was very effective.
HMG team - CKM wz.30, an unlicensed copy of the American Browning Water Cooled MG from WWI.
Mortar team - 81mm Stokes (model 18) wz.31.
Officers

Mounted
Cavalry

Artillery
wz.36 Anti-Tank gun - a copy of the Bofors gun 37mm ATG, mainly horse drawn, 1,200 produced.
wz.36 40mm Anti-Aircraft gun - 306 produced.
75mm field gun - wz.97 was the French 'Soixante-quinze' with 1,373 produced.
75mm Horse artillery gun - wz.02/26, a rebored version of the Russian Putilov 3" Divisional gun, 466 produced.
100mm wz.14/19 Howitzer - 900 produced.

Vehicles
TK & TKS Tankette (Carden Lloyd chassis) - 550 produced.
7TPdw (Vickers 6-ton chassis) - 40 produced.
7TPjw - 95 produced.
Wz.34 Armoured Car - ALREADY SCULPTED
Armoured Trains - A definite must for this army.

Additional / 'luxury' items
Extra mortar team - wz.36 46mm platoon mortar
105mm wz.29 - 254 produced.
155mm wz. 17 - 340 produced.
Wz.29 armoured car - ALREADY SCULPTED

Let us know what you think and we'll see what we can do!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Leon

Some quick thoughts:-

10th Mechanised Brigade with their leather coats and coal scuttle helmets.

Polish version of the Fiat staff car

Polish version of the Fiat truck

Ursus A truck

Motorcycle combinations

Citroen Kegresse Half tracks and half track versions of the Ursus and Fiat trucks

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

kustenjaeger

fsn

Let's run through "my list" - rifles, SMG (probably N/A), NCO's, LMG, HMG, AT, AA, medium artillery, heavy artillery, tanks, SPGs (N/A), cars, trucks, cavalry, limbers, engineers, specials.

You seem to have covered most things. I'd like NCO type figures (riflemen waving/pointing) and horse artillery limbers would be useful with the cavalry.

Is the 75mm 1897 gonna be the rubber tyre version?

I'm with GoM on the softskins. You can never have too many softskins.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Poland also had a standardized Tchanka. using CKM wz 30 HMG, but often used what was available, including the Russian maxim.  This means that the Russian ww2 Tchanka code SV49 can be used with a paint job conversion, particularly as the Russian helmet is very similar to the Polish  WZ31 helmet.

So while one would with Polish HMG and crew would be nice I think its a luxury as the Russian one will do for most people.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sandinista

Tracks for  the train to run on, would be useful for lots of other periods too

cheers
Ian

Orcs

10th Brigade.

Only Officers and NCOs had the leather coats.  The picture of them above posted by Grumpy old Man is shown in full in the book "the Invincible Black Brigade by Jerzy Majka.
In the background are other ranks in standard greatcoats. Several other phots in the book show other ranks in standard greatcoats.

Some officers ae also shown in Long Fur coats - Sheepskin?

They were issues with the coal scuttle helmets in 1938, these were either German wz.16 or Austro Hungarian wz.17. Forageg caps were replaced at this time with a Black Beret. The rest of the uniform was the same as the rest of the army.

The wz.36 40mm Anti-Aircraft gun is a locally modified 40mm Bofors, in most photos I have seen it looks identical to the standard Bofors, so all that is needed is a Polish crew

Another Vehicle would be the C7P Artillery Tractor (151 produced)

Cheers

Mark

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: Sandinista on 26 September 2015, 10:58:41 PM
Tracks for  the train to run on, would be useful for lots of other periods too

cheers
Ian

Just make sure they fit on standard "N" gauge track. You can buy a 1 meter length of flexitrack for about £2.50.  Points are harder to get and about £9.00 unless you can pick them up second hand or not working.

Orcs

Just looked up "the Invincible Black Brigade" by Jerzy Majka. on Amazon its at an unbelievable £190 second hand  :o

OldenBUA

27 September 2015, 10:00:40 AM #9 Last Edit: 27 September 2015, 10:02:24 AM by OldenBUA
Since they haven't been mentioned yet, maybe some Polish sappers, as well?

There are several items from the current ranges that can be used for the Polish, like the FT17 and R35 tanks. Maybe with a new MG turret for the FT17?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Dazza

Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Alan

I don't know if you were thinking about it but what about LWP troops?

They had Soviet kit but there were a few differences:

http://kresy-siberia.org/hom/files/Berling-1-1024x718.jpg

http://www.militaryimages.net/forums/showthread.php/2087-The-Peoples-Army-of-Poland-(World-War-II)

I guess to cover everything:

1 riflemen and SMG in czapka
1 riflemen and SMG in czapka & greatcoat
1 DP28 in czapka
1 artillery crew in czapka
1 command and HQ unit in czapka

The greatcoat would be like soviet and in helmets its just a paint job really.

Don't know if it would be of interest, but it would be a fairly painless addition to the WW2 range.

That would be job done as far as most people need

Chris Pringle

Flamethrowers.
Boy scouts used as runners.

As well as the 7TP, you need two versions of the Vickers E: one gun-armed, one with twin MG turrets.

Chris