Oh my word! Japan!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 19 September 2015, 07:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

The Japanese have defeated my dear Rugby-mad country at its own game, have they? Wonderful news!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Quote from: paulr on 19 September 2015, 11:19:58 PM
There are going to be a lot of upset gamblers here in NZ >:(

The TAB (official betting organisation) is offering $1,000,000 if you can pick all the results of RWC correctly

I wonder home many live bets are left now :-\

Apparently 48,000 had entered, ONE person had picked Japan to beat South Africa :o

For some reason he picked Uruguay to beat Wales :-\ TAB's $1,000,000 is safe now :(
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Presumably for the same reason he picked Japan to win - going for underdogs all the way.

All Blacks looked a bit pushed by Argentina for a fair bit of the match this afternoon.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

21 September 2015, 07:43:17 AM #18 Last Edit: 21 September 2015, 11:17:12 AM by Techno
From the little I saw of that one, I had the feeling that the Kiwis had another gear or two that they could have gone up......But they weren't as impressive, as I thought they might have been.
Cheers - Phil. (Who had South Africa as his third choice to win the tournament, before it started......Ooops ! :-[)

Kiwidave

The AB's certainly weren't at their best..... I was a bit concerned at the end of the first half...

Japan were brilliant :)

Techno

I see no-one's mentioned yesterday's game.  :P
Cheers - Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

Still in shock :o

I've never seen one team dominate another so completely and still lose. Well done to Wales for hanging in there. As much as it pains me to say so, if Wales had been able to put a full strength team out the game could have been completely different and the win margin significantly bigger.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

Quote from: Nosher on 27 September 2015, 11:57:24 AM
, if Wales had been able to put a full strength team out the game could have been completely different and the win margin significantly bigger.

Not sure about that, Nosher :-\ (I didn't see all of the game, anyway.)
I imagine, that a 'neutral' wouldn't have thought of the game as 'a classic' until the last few minutes...which WAS exciting, because it could have easily gone either way.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Being a Welsh supporter, I still can't believe they actually won! Talk about resilience in the face of adversity. The English team must be completely shell shocked.

Westmarcher

Indeed. Wow! What a great result for Wales! English fans must feel gutted (been there). And Scotland won too! OK. Its was 'only' against the U.S.A.  But the way we Scots have been playing these days we never know what to expect (and never underestimate our transatlantic cousins).

Where's 'Greta Pig' these days? He like the rugby. Anyone else missing him? Or, is he back .... in another disguise ...... ? I think it might be ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Africa may take a terrible revenge on Japan one day. There's a thriving shogi federation in Ghana, believe it or not. Wouldn't it be a dream if they sent a team to the far east some day and defeated the samurai of the chessboard too?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Good grief !
I didn't really expect Wales to beat the Aussies yesterday, but seeing how the Wobberlies defended when they were down to 13 men.......Stroll on.....They were a bit good !!!
Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Yep, awesome display by the Wallabies. Definitely deserved their win. Cracking game with Scotland against Samoa, just a shame that Samoa didn't get the win after their wonderful attacking play. Also would have meant Japan going through, which would have been good for the game overall.

Tawa

Quote from: Westmarcher on 27 September 2015, 07:21:23 PMAnd Scotland won too! OK. Its was 'only' against the U.S.A.  But the way we Scots have been playing these days we never know what to expect (and never underestimate our transatlantic cousins).

And now we're into the Quarters  :D
Well that went down like a lead baboon......

O.P.E (Oik of the Pendraken Empire) - 2015 Honours List.