What does my modelmaking job entail?

Started by Steve J, 17 September 2015, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I often get asked about the sort of stuff I make as part of my job. Sadly I can rarely talk about anything in detail, talk less about actually showing stuff off. However today is an exception. Everything you see in the following article was made by myself and my colleagues, apart from the uniform and the chassis of the Airsoft SA80.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3237525/Soldier-future-Maps-beamed-glasses-helmet-camera-sending-images-comrades-sensors-monitor-health.html

Work can be fun!

fred.

Cool - do the various electronic device work, or are they just representative models?

It must be great to see all the bits come together to and to show them off to potential buyers.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Leon

That's pretty cool!  How much for a pair of those glasses then?  I can hook them up to a camera in the unit and keep an eye on Dave at all times...  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jambo1

Steve J

Glad you found it interesting chaps :).

Fred, they are purely visual models with no working parts. The screens are mocked up LCDs, but look pretty real. We knew they had taken loads of pics on salisbury Plain, but didn't realise they actually had someone wearing the models. When we saw the article it took us about 30 seconds to realise they were actually wearing the full kit! I must say we were all pretty chuffed :).

NeilCFord

Quote from: Leon on 18 September 2015, 05:13:26 AM
That's pretty cool!  How much for a pair of those glasses then?  I can hook them up to a camera in the unit and keep an eye on Dave at all times...  :D

Well Google wanted £1500 for Glass, so there's a ball park figure. Biggest issue is battery life though.

- Neil

NeilCFord

Quote from: Techno on 17 September 2015, 09:59:55 PM
Fascinating, Steve.  :)

Cheers - Phil

I'd keep copies of the photos for reference, for when Leon asks you to sculpt some up!

- Neil.

Techno

Quote from: Leon on 18 September 2015, 05:13:26 AM

I want some real ones of those, too.....And a mini-drone....or two...or three.
Then I can make sure Nobby doesn't get within 5 miles of Techno Towers, without me being warned.

Quote from: NeilCFord on 18 September 2015, 07:40:31 AM
I'd keep copies of the photos for reference, for when Leon asks you to sculpt some up!- Neil.

I'll put them on the model, provided folk paint the detail on the screens.  :D

Cheers - Phil

Leon

Quote from: Techno on 18 September 2015, 07:48:29 AM
I want some real ones of those, too.....And a mini-drone....or two...or three.

I'm really keen on the idea of drones as well.  If I ever get enough spare time for a hobby, I might buy one and then no doubt crash it into something.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 18 September 2015, 06:07:04 PM
I'm really keen on the idea of drones as well.  If I ever get enough spare time for a hobby, I might buy one and then no doubt crash it into something.

if it's one of those with a camera attached, just don't forget to turn it off when you go x-boxing...

And don't crash it into a governement building, they don't like that kind of stuf these days  :P

Maenoferren

I crashed my drone tonight and it ceased to work well technically one motor ceased to work :(
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Techno

I trust that the motor is replaceable......Rather than having to chuck the whole thing away, and buy a new one ?  :(
Cheers - Phil

Maenoferren

Quote from: Techno on 19 September 2015, 07:48:15 AM
I trust that the motor is replaceable......Rather than having to chuck the whole thing away, and buy a new one ?  :(
Cheers - Phil
Hopefully it is just a wire came loose, and yes I can buy new motors.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Techno