Hail Caesar Basing

Started by DoctorDuckButter, 17 September 2015, 11:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorDuckButter

Hello All,

A question on basing for Hail Caesar, what do people use? This is the question that is troubling me the most. Some people use 40mm x 20mm as it appears as a hold over from Warmaster. Others use the same size bases that the 28mm (I think 120mm x 60mm) calls for and just have huge bases. I can see the advantages of both, but I was wondering what people who play the game have run, and how it worked out.

Thanks again.

Fenton

The group I was playing with were using two 40x40 side by side
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

Wrote a long reply last night, but it failed to post  >:(

We used 6 40x20mm bases, to give 120x40 unit sized. We dropped distances by 2/3rds to keep things fitting on 6x4' table.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DoctorDuckButter

Using multiple 40mm x 20mm seems like a good option. It seems like that allows you some flexibility when possibly trying out other rules too. I also have the Warmaster rules and Impetvs. I am trying to base in a fashion that doesn't exclude any particular game.

Fenton

As long as you end up with something about 80x40 you should be fine
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

For 10mm I use 1 rank of 3 40x20, same with some 6mm, although many were based up before BP et al, and use 60x30, originally for Polmous.

Use what ever works, so that you can differentiate large, Small and tiny and Line, Column and March formations.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

The biggest downside to 40x20mm bases is that they are quite small, so you can pretty much just put the figures on ranked up. Larger bases allow a lot more modelling options - you just have to look at the Warband bases people are producing.

So unfortunately it's a balance between flexibility and modelling.

We found it was very rare for anyone to use any formation than line as the negatives if you were caught in that formation are so bad.

Being able to show irregular formations is important - especially for troops that can switch formations from open to formed.

I would choose HC over WM - HC seems a more polished set of rules than WM. they feel like the newer version of WM - perhaps not surprising in that they were both written by Rick Priestly. I've looked at impetus a couple of times but have struggled to get my head round it.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts