Building to figure scale

Started by NeilCFord, 14 September 2015, 04:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilCFord

For skirmish level games it's fairly obvious that one use building of the same scale as the figures, and ideally the correct number to represent the feature you are after, but when it comes to denser scales, it's less clear.

What do other people do? As an example, If The Lord Saves Us uses a frontage of 100mm for a company. Given that would people use 6mm buildings or even 3mm?

I know this is probably a can of worms, but I really would appreciated people's opinions, especially those back up with reasoning!

- Neil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I would ask Maek and Barrie at Timecast for a selection on 6mm buildings and probably wait three years before painting them knowing me! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Quote from: NeilCFord on 14 September 2015, 04:56:24 PM
I know this is probably a can of worms, but I really would appreciated people's opinions, especially those back up with reasoning!

A can of worms regularly opened and followed by much flagellation of expired equines :)

Some, like me, use figures and terrain at the same scale. In my case, if I can believe 24 figures is a batallion I can believe that house is a village.

Others seem unable to work with that and use smaller buildings to give a more "village-ish" feel.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with having my troops fighting for possession of a bunch of Wendy Houses but as ever, whatever works for you is the way to go.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

I usually go with placing down a built up area sized both of clth/wood etc then populating with what I have to hand

For late 19th and 20th century I tend to use a scale smaller,for everything else I use the same scale buildings. No idea why,just seems to end up that way
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

NeilCFord

Thanks both and apologies for the deceased equine flogging.

I think I may go the 6mm building route, at least to start with. If they look totally stupid I can always flog em and scale up.

- Neil.

NeilCFord

Fenton

This is for the Middle East theatres, initially WWI, so area objectives are what I'm looking for.  A few buildings to mark a village will be good enough. Not likely to ever want to field an accurate representation of Gaza.

Thanks for the reply.

- Neil.

Fenton

No worries

You might want to look at www.paperterrain.com  They do some nice adobe style buildings
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

NeilCFord

Ooh, another useful resource, thanks.

- Neil.

petercooman

I mostly use 10 mm buildings with my 10 mm stuff. I only have pendraken buildings and the nice pegasus 1/144 russian and ukrainian buildings.

I also use the Pretzschendorfer Weihnachtsberg buildings for late wwII:

http://www.grundschule-pretzschendorf.de/Werken/Weihnachtsberg/weihnachtsberg.html

Steve J

I've moved to 6mm buildings from Leven Miniatures for my Black Powder games. I may try them for more modern stuff as well... :-\

Subedai

I make all of my own buildings and keep them in scale of the figures; same as most of the rest of my terrain...apart from hills of course. I try to get visual aspect of a game as right as possible. Sorry, like the concept of using 12 x 10 or 15mm figures to represent a battalion or regiment, I just can't get my head around using buildings that are of a smaller scale.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Norm

I tend to deliberately look for small footprint buildings in the same scale as the figure and bigger footprint buildings from the scale below - so in effect I am trying to get buildings that look broadly right with the figure, but which have a small footprint overall.

paulr

Quote from: NeilCFord on 14 September 2015, 06:31:55 PM
Fenton

This is for the Middle East theatres, initially WWI, so area objectives are what I'm looking for.  A few buildings to mark a village will be good enough. Not likely to ever want to field an accurate representation of Gaza.

Thanks for the reply.

- Neil.

We tend to use 6mm buildings for our WWI Middle East games, partly because that is what we have ;)
Partly because we prefer a handful of "Wendy Houses" to a single building as a village ;)

There are some examples in these two ITLSU battle reports, figures are of course 10mm Pendraken

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,12132.0.html

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11289.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Enough necrophile bestial sadism, now.

p.s. Go for the smaller model buildings.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

NeilCFord

6mm buildings it is! Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated.

- Neil.