Number of figures per base & spacing

Started by Bloodaxe, 04 September 2015, 06:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makebelievebkk

Hi all

I just got a copy of the rules and I really like the feel of them. Looking forward to first games. Now, I am gonna put my head on the block and ask...

Has anyone used 28mm figs? 
I have a lot of 28s that have been sitting around for ages so i am considering rebasing them for Warband. I was thinking of increasing the base sizes but i think this may effect play to some degree. I love the idea of vignettes but this may be tough with larger scales on 100x50mm

Any thoughts ?  (am i a heretic?)

cheers

fsn

Sir!

Since this is your first post, we will forgive you the foul language. However, please note that some of our older members have dicky tickers and may not be able to take the stress.  :P

Welcome to the forum.

... and no, I have never dabbled in the Devil's scale.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Welcome.

There are some reports using 28mm figures - I think they used 120mm frontages.

As the rules are all in Base Widths it should all work fine. You might need a slightly larger table, but 6x4 seems to have a fair bit of space with 100mm frontages. You will also need to know your 12 times table  ;)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

A very warm welcome to the forum, MB.  :-h

Sorry. :( Can't answer your question, though.
Something (at the back of my tiny mind) is telling me that either someone has asked this question before.....OR.....Someone has already adapted the rules to use larger figures.
I'm sure they'll be along soon, to give you the 'heads up'.

(Yes !....You are a heretic !  ;))

Cheers - Phil (Aha !...Good....Fred's given some pointers, while I've been plonking this out.)

makebelievebkk

Thx for the welcome folks.

I know 'bad language' can be shocking!  I love the look of 10mm and I play lots of 6mm ancients. Its just I have these figs lying around and want to use them lol - if not they will have to go! (which of course could fund a 10mm project....nooooooo!   dont even think it!

I thought about 120mm as it might look better and it fits with other games' base sizes. However, 100x50 is so terribly neat and easy to calculate lol

I am wondering if 120 will make a huge difference in table space. Do you find that 100mm on 6'x4' leaves a lot of flanking space and would it be hugely constricted if there were 3-4 less basewidths available?

fsn

It's not my thing, but have you looked at what the chaps have been doing with the Warband stuff?

To me it's a bit like synchronised swimming ... I have no idea what's going on but it's very impressive. And cheap. You must be talking over a quid per figure for a Perry's 28mm (which are very nice). You could get six or seven times as much from the Pendraken Warband range.

Go on it makes sense!

You wouldn't have to think about basing problems.

No, I am not a Pendraken salesman, just a fullt brainwashed member of the forum.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

It was stenicplus that made the batreps with bigger scale models.I'll link you to his blog:

http://stenicplus.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Warband

And in this post he talks a bit about how the base size works for them:

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,12206.0.html

NTM

Look at the first entry on the FAQ

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11265.0.html

Basically 8-10 figures per base pretty much the same as GW War of the Ring

Techno

Quote from: makebelievebkk on 06 September 2015, 08:09:57 AM
(which of course could fund a 10mm project....nooooooo!   dont even think it!

He's almost ours...or will be very soon  :D...... :d :d :d :d......Another victim falls to the hive mind.  ;)
Resistance IS futile.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Techno on 06 September 2015, 12:28:20 PM
Resistance IS futile.

No it's USELESS

My poetry is also pretty bad...

IanS  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Look !

According to Nobby, I'm the Borg Queen  X_X......Not a s*dding Vogon.  ;)
Cheers - Alice.

Bloodaxe

Id sell the 28mm on Ebay or Bartertown and buy several 10mm armies.  The Pendraken armies are cheaper, and easier to paint & store then 28mm.  I was a long time player of that other game WarHamster, but got tired of constant price increases, rules changes, power creeps, etc.  Why is it called Warhammer 40K? Because you have to make over 40K to afford to play it.  ;)

petercooman

06 September 2015, 07:32:58 PM #27 Last Edit: 06 September 2015, 07:35:42 PM by petercooman
Quote from: Bloodaxe on 06 September 2015, 05:04:37 PM
I was a long time player of that other game WarHamster

Bloodaxe

AndyT

Steve (stenicplus) is running the Berkeley Hordes of the Things competition this weekend which is probably why he hasn't responded to the 28mm questions.

I've been tempted to reuse some old GW figs in a Warband army but 10mm armies are quicker to build.

Cheers, Andy